Options

Replies

• brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    MaineMom76 wrote: »
    brznhabits wrote: »
    Hi @MaineMom76,

You posted regarding your intake on March 15. I responded.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10528222/not-losing-on-1600-calories-day/p1

I think this current post started out with questions regarding the test results but as I read your additional responses you seem to have gone back to the same questions you posted on the 15th (just framed in a different light). Yet you are a bit dismissive with folks suggestions. I don't mean to criticize and I think I hear your frustration but I just can't tell what you want. There is a lot of good advice here and on the other thread. Here's my question (for you to personally answer for yourself), when you are posting on the board (and visiting with your Dr's, etc.) what are you hoping for?

I see a bit of a yellow flag between the other thread, your lack of recent logging and this thread. I read it initially and thought, "you are making this too complicated", like seriously it reads like over-thinking, over-testing, over-everything. (And I say that knowing that I need someone to tell me the same thing when I'm "over' doing it and I hope that you take the words as they are meant, with good intention).

I also noted that you complicated the variables. You stopped logging and that adds new variables. Even if you are going to explore with Dr.'s etc. don't undo the work you've been doing, keep logging. Too many variables makes it harder for people to help :-)

Then I saw your comment "I am a recovering bulimic and a "recovered" anorexic, so being completely obsessive about my food is in my genes. " and the flag went from yellow to red. I think you are stressing yourself out. Get back to basics, log, drink water and breath!

MFP, the Korr testing, TDEE all of it is just estimates (some more accurate than others). You are heavy enough (I know) that any margin for error (given your good practices) isn't gonna kill your deficit. By the way, I don't have any issue with the Korr results since we discussed a possible cal increase over on the other thread.

And finally, can you go with your gut (literally)? Are you hungry-hungry? or just a little hungry? I ask because I think we eventually have to listen to our bodies. It is all estimates so eventually we have to listen (or do CICO and wait it out). I tend to go with a little hungry is ok, hungry, hungry means I'm a.) too low, b.) eating the wrong foods or c.) not eating often enough. So if you eat regularly, have decent macros and keep your water intake up, can you tell if you are hungry or hungry-hungry? I know you have a history with food so if you can't answer these "hungry" questions, that's totally ok but if you can, trust your gut (within the estimates that have been given to you).

I would have loved to keep this discussion to my original questions, but as it tends to happen on these forums, I find myself answering the same questions or addressing the same things over and over again. That's part of my frustration.

Nope, not quite what I meant to convey. My bad...I'm saying as folks asked additional questions (as they should) it seems to me the answers we're similar to March 15th. For that matter the Korr results we're similar to (some) answers on the 15th too. I'm all for testing, different measurements, etc. But if we (and testing, etc.) aren't helping you find what you are looking for maybe there is a larger question.

For example, I asked someone a bunch of questions once and she summed it up with, "Are you looking for permission to try eating a bit more?" I realized that I was, I was indeed.

As always, Disclaimer: Feel free to ignore :)
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi @MaineMom76,

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10528222/not-losing-on-1600-calories-day/p1

I think this current post started out with questions regarding the test results but as I read your additional responses you seem to have gone back to the same questions you posted on the 15th (just framed in a different light). Yet you are a bit dismissive with folks suggestions. I don't mean to criticize and I think I hear your frustration but I just can't tell what you want. There is a lot of good advice here and on the other thread. Here's my question (for you to personally answer for yourself), when you are posting on the board (and visiting with your Dr's, etc.) what are you hoping for?

I see a bit of a yellow flag between the other thread, your lack of recent logging and this thread. I read it initially and thought, "you are making this too complicated", like seriously it reads like over-thinking, over-testing, over-everything. (And I say that knowing that I need someone to tell me the same thing when I'm "over' doing it and I hope that you take the words as they are meant, with good intention).

I also noted that you complicated the variables. You stopped logging and that adds new variables. Even if you are going to explore with Dr.'s etc. don't undo the work you've been doing, keep logging. Too many variables makes it harder for people to help :-)

Then I saw your comment "I am a recovering bulimic and a "recovered" anorexic, so being completely obsessive about my food is in my genes. " and the flag went from yellow to red. I think you are stressing yourself out. Get back to basics, log, drink water and breath!

MFP, the Korr testing, TDEE all of it is just estimates (some more accurate than others). You are heavy enough (I know) that any margin for error (given your good practices) isn't gonna kill your deficit. By the way, I don't have any issue with the Korr results since we discussed a possible cal increase over on the other thread.

And finally, can you go with your gut (literally)? Are you hungry-hungry? or just a little hungry? I ask because I think we eventually have to listen to our bodies. It is all estimates so eventually we have to listen (or do CICO and wait it out). I tend to go with a little hungry is ok, hungry, hungry means I'm a.) too low, b.) eating the wrong foods or c.) not eating often enough. So if you eat regularly, have decent macros and keep your water intake up, can you tell if you are hungry or hungry-hungry? I know you have a history with food so if you can't answer these "hungry" questions, that's totally ok but if you can, trust your gut (within the estimates that have been given to you).

I would have loved to keep this discussion to my original questions, but as it tends to happen on these forums, I find myself answering the same questions or addressing the same things over and over again. That's part of my frustration.

Nope, not quite what I meant to convey. My bad...I'm saying as folks asked additional questions (as they should) it seems to me the answers we're similar to March 15th. For that matter the Korr results we're similar to (some) answers on the 15th too. I'm all for testing, different measurements, etc. But if we (and testing, etc.) aren't helping you find what you are looking for maybe there is a larger question.

For example, I asked someone a bunch of questions once and she summed it up with, "Are you looking for permission to try eating a bit more?" I realized that I was, I was indeed.

Ahhhh, I see, I apologize, I have been popping in and reading quickly and I misunderstood your message. Yes, the answers were similar to March 15th's post, but I wasn't actually trying to have that same conversation. My post about the metabolic testing today was really more about trying to understand the meaning of the results as it relates to my habits, etc. which is a bit different. I understand how people were asking questions but I did feel like it was getting off topic (in a number of different ways), and I also was getting frustrated at having to say the same thing over and over again (how I weigh my food, what kind of scale I use, etc.).

In any case, I think I will probably keep to myself. There have been a few people who seem sincerely out to help people, but others who really just want to be snarky, and I'm too old to want to deal with that,LOL.

Thank you for your kind and honest response. I will definitely do some thinking on some of your points, and I appreciate you pushing me to look for some more answers within myself. Honestly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So, you are saying that you only weigh 125 pounds? If so, 1,200 calories isn't such an extreme number.

??

Theo doesn't look to me like he weighs 125, but doing the math, 1200 is 52% of (roughly) 2300, and that means a deficit of 1100, and a weight of 220-ish.

Perhaps I misunderstood what he meant by -52%. Regardless. A calorie deficit of 5 times a person's weight will give a 1 to 2 lbs weight loss to a person who is between 100 and 200 lbs. Or 1% of a person's weight, if you prefer.

Actually it's worse than I thought. 1200 is 52% of 2300 (roughly), but he said -52%, which means that we are talking about a TDEE of 2500, I think. (1300 is 52% of 2500.) So that would mean a weight of 260.

And yeah, I know it's 1%, but 1% doesn't always work, depending on whether one is above 200 but close enough to goal that a deficit of more than 1000 seems extreme, if one isn't that active and has a lower weight, or lots of options. It works okay for me, I guess: 125x5=625, so if I'm active and have a TDEE of 2125 or so, it's 1500, but given that that's assuming I'm running about 5 miles a day that might be awfully aggressive. If I were sedentary, so it was 1550-625, that's not great either. That's why I think looking at total cut from TDEE makes more sense, with an understanding that cut can be a higher percentage if one has more to lose.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

Personally, I like TDEE minus 5 times your current body weight in pounds.

Theo166 wrote: »
    Where'd you pick that one up? It puts me at 1200 cal, or -52% of TDEE

I read it differently than everyone else apparently is, and I'm getting 434,625 daily calories.
    [TDEE - 5] X current body weight in pounds.
    That's a lot of pizzas and doughnuts.

(Reading it the way everyone else gives me 1455, which is doable, but a little lower than I like (and works out to TDEE - 39%).
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Personally, I like TDEE minus 5 times your current body weight in pounds.

Where'd you pick that one up? It puts me at 1200 cal, or -52% of TDEE

I read it differently than everyone else apparently is, and I'm getting 434,625 daily calories.
    [TDEE - 5] X current body weight in pounds.
    That's a lot of pizzas and doughnuts.

(Reading it the way everyone else gives me 1455, which is doable, but a little lower than I like (and works out to TDEE - 39%).

The biggest youtube challenge I've seen was about 50,000 calories, over 48 hrs. Wouldn't know where to begin with meal planning a 400k challenge.
  • Theo166
    Options
    So, you are saying that you only weigh 125 pounds? If so, 1,200 calories isn't such an extreme number.

??

Theo doesn't look to me like he weighs 125, but doing the math, 1200 is 52% of (roughly) 2300, and that means a deficit of 1100, and a weight of 220-ish.

Correct, I'm here because I'm obese.

My TDEE is ~2,500 for my 260 lbs and the formula gives me just under 1,200 calories. I'm doing OK on 1,700 but could not handle 1,200 daily.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

Any insight?
    You seem fairly adamant about your calorie tracking so let's assume that's not the issue. Do you take cheat days? If yes how often? How often do you eat food you did not prepare yourself (restaurants, family meals, etc)? The last thing I can suggest is to open your diary. If you eat a lot of pre-packaged foods that could be an issue even if you track them. Many foods simply lie on the label, something to the effect of 1 package (100g) = 200 calories so you just eat the whole package and log it. Thing is, if you weighed the contents of the package it's more than the 100 grams it claims to be. Other foods are simply just wrong about their calorie counts. If that too isn't the problem then a 2 week diet break (eating maintenance) might be what's needed here.

This is what I was thinking too. By law, the calorie content that food manufacturers list on the label can be inaccurate by 20%. And they are not going to under-report calories!
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    alycatx86 wrote: »
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Sorry if this has already been asked. At the start of the year I couldn't lose weight to save my life. I couldn't have been more diligent in my efforts, tracking, portioning, weighing EVERYTHING. To the gram.

Just got my blood work back. My thyroid is not functioning properly. With a little bit of medication, I have already begun losing.

I am hypothyroid and have been on medication since 2011. My levels were checked recently and are good. :)

can i ask what your levels are? mine are currently at 0.02 and im still struggling to lose weight
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

??

Perhaps I misunderstood what he meant by -52%. Regardless. A calorie deficit of 5 times a person's weight will give a 1 to 2 lbs weight loss to a person who is between 100 and 200 lbs. Or 1% of a person's weight, if you prefer.

Actually it's worse than I thought. 1200 is 52% of 2300 (roughly), but he said -52%, which means that we are talking about a TDEE of 2500, I think. (1300 is 52% of 2500.) So that would mean a weight of 260.

And yeah, I know it's 1%, but 1% doesn't always work, depending on whether one is above 200 but close enough to goal that a deficit of more than 1000 seems extreme, if one isn't that active and has a lower weight, or lots of options. It works okay for me, I guess: 125x5=625, so if I'm active and have a TDEE of 2125 or so, it's 1500, but given that that's assuming I'm running about 5 miles a day that might be awfully aggressive. If I were sedentary, so it was 1550-625, that's not great either. That's why I think looking at total cut from TDEE makes more sense, with an understanding that cut can be a higher percentage if one has more to lose.

If I recall, my statement was that my preference was TDEE - 5 x body weight. What I didn't include in that statement is that I'm not a fan of weight loss without exercise. For a 200 lb man burning at least 300 calories a day in exercise, TDEE - 5 x body weight yields a calorie goal of 1600. For a 100 lb woman burning 300 calories it yields 1316 calories. For a 300 lb man burning 300 calories it still puts him at 1600 calories. There's no question that it is aggressive, but it works for a fairly wide range of body weights as long as people are including exercise in their weight lose program. If they aren't including exercise then what they are doing is unhealthy anyway.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

??

My TDEE is ~2,500 for my 260 lbs and the formula gives me just under 1,200 calories. I'm doing OK on 1,700 but could not handle 1,200 daily.

Increase your TDEE by 500 calories and you're still at 1,700 calories and the formula works fine.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Sorry if this has already been asked. At the start of the year I couldn't lose weight to save my life. I couldn't have been more diligent in my efforts, tracking, portioning, weighing EVERYTHING. To the gram.

Just got my blood work back. My thyroid is not functioning properly. With a little bit of medication, I have already begun losing.

I am hypothyroid and have been on medication since 2011. My levels were checked recently and are good. :)

can i ask what your levels are? mine are currently at 0.02 and im still struggling to lose weight

Then it's probably not your thyroid, and it's probably just that weight loss is hard. My levels are closer to 0.4, and if I hit my calorie targets, I lose weight. If I don't, I don't.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If your RMR is 1800 (unlikely) then your TDEE will be higher than that. Eating less than TDEE would result in weight loss.
  • Theo166
    Options

??

Increase your TDEE by 500 calories and you're still at 1,700 calories and the formula works fine.

But my TDEE isn't 3,000?
    I find it simpler to use TDEE minus 20% or in my case 30%.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

Then it's probably not your thyroid, and it's probably just that weight loss is hard. My levels are closer to 0.4, and if I hit my calorie targets, I lose weight. If I don't, I don't.

ditto - my TSH is kept at below .05 because of the type of thyroid cancer that I had and I'm down 10lbs with logging food everyday
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

ditto - my TSH is kept at below .05 because of the type of thyroid cancer that I had and I'm down 10lbs with logging food everyday

I just had mine checked and I was over 2.0 but I've been losing fine (I actually have been increasing my cals and I'm up to 2200+ daily average and still seeing the scale go down). I know I would feel a little better if I could get below 1.0 though.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

??

But my TDEE isn't 3,000?
    I find it simpler to use TDEE minus 20% or in my case 30%.

If that's what you want to use 70% of your TDEE, use it. There's no reason to make a federal case about it.

As for your TDEE not being 3,000, it would be if you were putting in the amount of exercise that is recommended for weight loss.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thyroid only impacts your RMR/REE by ~5%. So if MFP is telling you that you have 1600 kcals in your daily budget - worse case would be that you have ~1520 kcals/day.

Normal TSH is 0.2 - 2.0 based upon the revision in 2002 by the Board of Endocrinologists.

For those with thyroid cancer standard protocol dictates that the patient maintain TSH as low as possible without being hyperthyroid to minimize the risk of recurrence.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi @MaineMom76,

Ahhhh, I see, I apologize, I have been popping in and reading quickly and I misunderstood your message. Yes, the answers were similar to March 15th's post, but I wasn't actually trying to have that same conversation. My post about the metabolic testing today was really more about trying to understand the meaning of the results as it relates to my habits, etc. which is a bit different. I understand how people were asking questions but I did feel like it was getting off topic (in a number of different ways), and I also was getting frustrated at having to say the same thing over and over again (how I weigh my food, what kind of scale I use, etc.).

In any case, I think I will probably keep to myself. There have been a few people who seem sincerely out to help people, but others who really just want to be snarky, and I'm too old to want to deal with that,LOL.

Thank you for your kind and honest response. I will definitely do some thinking on some of your points, and I appreciate you pushing me to look for some more answers within myself. Honestly.

I see the snark :-) and repeats (grrr) but from my 100 foot view it looks like it's about 70/30, 70% decent responses/expected-questions and 30% not useful/repeat. Ignore the 30%. Please don't totally give up the message boards as you might get too far into your own head. Good luck the next few weeks.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I watched a BBC show comparing two besties and their metabolisms. One was underweight and the other overweight. They were both convinced the low BMI girl ate tons but just had a fast metabolism while the high BMI girl ate little but had a very low metabolism. They tested their metabolism and also secretly watched what they ingested.

Findings:
    - nothing special about their metabolisms (like the OP)
    - skinny girl underate and over estimated her calories in
    - chunky girl overate and under estimated her calories in

Lesson - use a food scale and don't lie to myself/yourself when tracking

What show was this....awesome post.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Thyroid only impacts your RMR/REE by ~5%. So if MFP is telling you that you have 1600 kcals in your daily budget - worse case would be that you have ~1520 kcals/day.

Normal TSH is 0.2 - 2.0 based upon the revision in 2002 by the Board of Endocrinologists.

For those with thyroid cancer standard protocol dictates that the patient maintain TSH as low as possible without being hyperthyroid to minimize the risk of recurrence.

I believe this range has been extended...because I was at TSH 3.5 and was told that was within the normal range (I just managed to convince my PCM that I felt better lower)

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003684.htm - lists normal as:
    Normal values range from 0.4 to 4.0 milli-international units per liter (mIU/L). but experts argue that it could be 2.5-4.0 for the upper limit