1234568»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    MaineMom76 wrote: »
    alycatx86 wrote: »
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Sorry if this has already been asked. At the start of the year I couldn't lose weight to save my life. I couldn't have been more diligent in my efforts, tracking, portioning, weighing EVERYTHING. To the gram.

Just got my blood work back. My thyroid is not functioning properly. With a little bit of medication, I have already begun losing.

I am hypothyroid and have been on medication since 2011. My levels were checked recently and are good. :)

can i ask what your levels are? mine are currently at 0.02 and im still struggling to lose weight

Thyroid only impacts your RMR/REE by ~5%. So if MFP is telling you that you have 1600 kcals in your daily budget - worse case would be that you have ~1520 kcals/day.

Normal TSH is 0.2 - 2.0 based upon the revision in 2002 by the Board of Endocrinologists.

For those with thyroid cancer standard protocol dictates that the patient maintain TSH as low as possible without being hyperthyroid to minimize the risk of recurrence.

I believe this range has been extended...because I was at TSH 3.5 and was told that was within the normal range (I just managed to convince my PCM that I felt better lower)

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003684.htm - lists normal as:
    Normal values range from 0.4 to 4.0 milli-international units per liter (mIU/L). but experts argue that it could be 2.5-4.0 for the upper limit

The normal results in adults 21-54 is 0.4 - 4.4 mIU/L. Children under 21 are just all over the place and those over 54 range to 0.5 - 9.0 mIU/L.

If you are symptomatic the narrowed range was tightened to 0.2-2.0 mIU/L in 2002 by the International Board.

So yes, you may feel perfectly normal and be at 4.0 mIU/L, while another may feel miserable at that level - this is more about what you are used to rather than what is "normal". This is why you need a full thyroid panel and review with an endocrinologist.

I'm on .175/.200 g alt day and averaging 0.03 mIU/L and I feel awesome.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Y'all talking about Thyroid levels in the .02 range-- yeesh, mine is normal at 3.5, and it feels fine compared to what it is off meds..I've never seen it below 3.0 - makes me wonder if there is a whole new world of possibilities :P
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I watched a BBC show comparing two besties and their metabolisms. One was underweight and the other overweight. They were both convinced the low BMI girl ate tons but just had a fast metabolism while the high BMI girl ate little but had a very low metabolism. They tested their metabolism and also secretly watched what they ingested.

Findings:
    - nothing special about their metabolisms (like the OP)
    - skinny girl underate and over estimated her calories in
    - chunky girl overate and under estimated her calories in

Lesson - use a food scale and don't lie to myself/yourself when tracking

What show was this....awesome post.

Anyone know the name of this show or have a link? Would love to watch it!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Y'all talking about Thyroid levels in the .02 range-- yeesh, mine is normal at 3.5, and it feels fine compared to what it is off meds..I've never seen it below 3.0 - makes me wonder if there is a whole new world of possibilities :P

I've been as high as 10.0 (ON MEDS!) and as low as 0.01, which felt hypo to me and is no fun either.
    It's so tricky, seems like every time my weight changes I have to get my meds adjusted.
    I definitely feel better at a 2.0 than I would without meds (lord knows where I'd be without meds), but I know I've felt way better in previous years when I was about 50 lbs lighter than I am now.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I watched a BBC show comparing two besties and their metabolisms. One was underweight and the other overweight. They were both convinced the low BMI girl ate tons but just had a fast metabolism while the high BMI girl ate little but had a very low metabolism. They tested their metabolism and also secretly watched what they ingested.

Findings:
    - nothing special about their metabolisms (like the OP)
    - skinny girl underate and over estimated her calories in
    - chunky girl overate and under estimated her calories in

Lesson - use a food scale and don't lie to myself/yourself when tracking

What show was this....awesome post.

Jump to about 7:15 for when they compare the two friends, the whole segment is good though.
    The Truth About Food- How to be Slim (BBC Documentary Series)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Sorry if this has already been asked. At the start of the year I couldn't lose weight to save my life. I couldn't have been more diligent in my efforts, tracking, portioning, weighing EVERYTHING. To the gram.

Just got my blood work back. My thyroid is not functioning properly. With a little bit of medication, I have already begun losing.

I am hypothyroid and have been on medication since 2011. My levels were checked recently and are good. :)

can i ask what your levels are? mine are currently at 0.02 and im still struggling to lose weight

Thyroid only impacts your RMR/REE by ~5%. So if MFP is telling you that you have 1600 kcals in your daily budget - worse case would be that you have ~1520 kcals/day.

Normal TSH is 0.2 - 2.0 based upon the revision in 2002 by the Board of Endocrinologists.

For those with thyroid cancer standard protocol dictates that the patient maintain TSH as low as possible without being hyperthyroid to minimize the risk of recurrence.

I believe this range has been extended...because I was at TSH 3.5 and was told that was within the normal range (I just managed to convince my PCM that I felt better lower)

Normal values range from 0.4 to 4.0 milli-international units per liter (mIU/L). but experts argue that it could be 2.5-4.0 for the upper limit

The normal results in adults 21-54 is 0.4 - 4.4 mIU/L. Children under 21 are just all over the place and those over 54 range to 0.5 - 9.0 mIU/L.

If you are symptomatic the narrowed range was tightened to 0.2-2.0 mIU/L in 2002 by the International Board.

So yes, you may feel perfectly normal and be at 4.0 mIU/L, while another may feel miserable at that level - this is more about what you are used to rather than what is "normal". This is why you need a full thyroid panel and review with an endocrinologist.

My last endo screwed up my mess (switched me from Levo to Synthroid, and wouldn't switch me back and since my numbers were in range wouldn't adjust dose

Changed insurance, new doc, back to Levo and dose adjustment - night and day difference
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My last TSH was 1.19. That is on 150mcg of Synthroid. I fluctuate a bit, but as long as I'm close to 1, I'm ok. I prefer to be a bit more on the hyper side, but my thyroid has a hard time staying under 1.

My last endo screwed up my mess (switched me from Levo to Synthroid, and wouldn't switch me back and since my numbers were in range wouldn't adjust dose

Changed insurance, new doc, back to Levo and dose adjustment - night and day difference

I'm confused - Synthroid is just the name brand, so why were you feeling so different on what I'm assuming is Levoxyl?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    My last TSH was 1.19. That is on 150mcg of Synthroid. I fluctuate a bit, but as long as I'm close to 1, I'm ok. I prefer to be a bit more on the hyper side, but my thyroid has a hard time staying under 1.

I'm confused - Synthroid is just the name brand, so why were you feeling so different on what I'm assuming is Levoxyl?

Because even though they are notionally the same my body reacts differently - it's the only thing that changed lifestyle wise - I gains 10lbs, was losing my hair, hot flashes, sleeping like crap; back on Levo and that stuff disappeared

Apparently thyroid mess are the one type of medicine where it's not recommended to switch between generic and brand even if they are notionally the same
  • Allegi32
    Options

Because even though they are notionally the same my body reacts differently - it's the only thing that changed lifestyle wise - I gains 10lbs, was losing my hair, hot flashes, sleeping like crap; back on Levo and that stuff disappeared

Apparently thyroid mess are the one type of medicine where it's not recommended to switch between generic and brand even if they are notionally the same

Wow, I had no idea! I knew it was best to be on brand name because even tiny variations in the generic versions could throw you off, but I figured all the brand name stuff was the same. Thanks for the info!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

yeah my daughters endo told her to get the same script at the same drugstore to make sure its not different. she said some meds add different ingredients than others so and people can react to those different ingredients.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just don't buy that your basal metabolic rate is 1800 cal a day. That's HIGH. I'm 5'6"/160, 38 years old, and my basal metabolic rate at testing is just over 1400. I don't think your machine was calibrated correctly, and I question the advice of the person who tested you. Was the person a bariatrician or some other kind of physician? If not, I would not trust their estimate of what you should eat, especially considering the hypothyroid factor.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I just don't buy that your basal metabolic rate is 1800 cal a day. That's HIGH. I'm 5'6"/160, 38 years old, and my basal metabolic rate at testing is just over 1400. I don't think your machine was calibrated correctly, and I question the advice of the person who tested you. Was the person a bariatrician or some other kind of physician? If not, I would not trust their estimate of what you should eat, especially considering the hypothyroid factor.
    She tested exactly what the MFP BMR calculator says. The last thing she needs is to spend more money getting the exact same number again.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,755 Member
    Options

She weighs 50% more than you, but you don't think her BMR should be higher?

And the OP is 2" taller!
  • Allegi32
    Options

And people wonder why I don't visit the community forums very often.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

and I'm 3 inches shorter, 10lbs less and my BMR is in the high 1400's (1492 when I had it done a couple of months ago)...just because your number is one thing, doesn't mean that is the same for everyone
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I just saw the third post you created about your metabolism I think a lot of people have been posting helpful information btw...
  • Allegi32
    Options
    I just saw the third post you created about your metabolism I think a lot of people have been posting helpful information btw...

The third post?

People definitely have been posting helpful info and I'm grateful for the ones who have been!
  • Allegi32
    Options
    I just wanted to give people a little update:

I decided to try a different kind of system so I'm following a clean eating portion control plan that uses containers to track food instead of weighing/measuring calories, etc. It puts me in a range of 1800-2099 calories so I'm not eating the exact same amount every day. I actually feel a lot better and finally broke my plateau.

Ironic that not being as precise is actually helping me! I really like that I am eating healthier but I'm not struggling as much, and whatever macros ratio they have built into the program, my body really likes!

Thanks!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to give people a little update:

I decided to try a different kind of system so I'm following a clean eating portion control plan that uses containers to track food instead of weighing/measuring calories, etc. It puts me in a range of 1800-2099 calories so I'm not eating the exact same amount every day. I actually feel a lot better and finally broke my plateau.

Ironic that not being as precise is actually helping me! I really like that I am eating healthier but I'm not struggling as much, and whatever macros ratio they have built into the program, my body really likes!

Thanks!

The irony is that to break your plateau you are actually eating less but mentally you are not tracking. Just be aware that when you get towards your goal, the inaccuracies of containers will make maintaining a deficit harder.