Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Losing Weight as a stay at home parent or a working parent?

panda4153
panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
Hi Everyone,

I am putting this in the debate section, because I think it could turn out to be kind of a hot button issue. Do you think its harder to lose weight and maintain a healthy life style as a stay at home parent or a working parent?

I ask because I saw a thread asking for advice from SAHMs on how they do it. I work, I have 3 kids, I commute and I do most of the household chores, shopping etc. I answered that it wasn't about stay at home or not, it was about making fitness and eating habits a priority or not. I personally think that all of us have life circumstances that can make it challenging to get in the workout that day, or harder to eat like we know we should and maintain a calorie deficit if your goal is lose. The OP responded that she was specifically seeking tips from SAHMs and then proceeded to list a bunch of reasons why its hard for her. My point though is that its hard for everyone! Regardless of circumstances you either are going to make it happen or you are not, it all comes down to choices and priorities.

I would love to know what everyone else thinks.

Replies

• hopetobelean
    hopetobelean Posts: 11 Member
    I have done both, working and SAH. I find it harder when I at SAH because the temptation is there and I am weak.
    When I work, I bring my food and I can't really cheat. Plus, when I'm busy a work I have less time to think about food.
  • panda4153
    Hard is relative. You can't judge someone's circumstances because things are easier for you. Also, this is not going to end well.

I agree with you, I try not judge anyone else's circumstances as I know that for various reasons things can be harder for one individual then another. What is easy for one can be challenging for another, and vice versa. I guess though that I had never thought working in the home or out of the home made a difference in weight loss and fitness, as both circumstances can make it difficult to stick to your goals at times. I also know this is a hot topic which is why I posted it to his board.
  • panda4153
    I have done both, working and SAH. I find it harder when I at SAH because the temptation is there and I am weak.
    When I work, I bring my food and I can't really cheat. Plus, when I'm busy a work I have less time to think about food.

Haha that's funny, I found the opposite true for me. When I have been at home, I can control the food that is in my house and avoid temptation that way. When I work I find it hard to avoid the temptation of eating out all the time. Don't get me wrong I think you can eat out and fit it into your calories, but its way more taxing on my willpower then eating at home.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    I think it's equally challenging for either stay-at-home-moms or working moms. I've been both. Different challenges, yes, but equally tough.

Ultimately, though, there are 24 hours in a day for each of us to use as we see fit. You make room in your schedule for the things that matter to you.
    KassLea22 wrote: »
    I might get hate because I'm not a mom and I'm single.

However, I think if we all gave it some thought we all have busy lives and circumstances we could use that as an excuse to not do things we don't want to do. I work in extremely stressful job and I work for 10 hour days with an average of 6 to 8 hours of overtime a week. On my three days off I also have to clean my whole apartment, do all my grocery shopping, run all my errands, and I volunteer with a running club for young girls on my days off you encourage positive body image and self-esteem. I also try to have a social life!

But I do make time to go to the gym five days a week and I prep my meals on my last day off so I have a healthy meal on my workdays. If you want to have a healthy active lifestyle you can, but you have to want it. If you don't want it bad enough, you're going to make excuses as to why you can't get it. But I think as busy as everyone is they can probably find an hour in their schedule A couple times a week to spend time on fitness. No one is that busy. But again, it has to be something you want and prioritize.

I couldn't agree more. I have no idea why you were attacked for sharing this sentiment.

Thank you
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    panda4153 wrote: »
    ...I answered that it wasn't about stay at home or not, it was about making fitness and eating habits a priority or not. I personally think that all of us have life circumstances that can make it challenging to get in the workout that day, or harder to eat like we know we should and maintain a calorie deficit if your goal is lose....Regardless of circumstances you either are going to make it happen or you are not, it all comes down to choices and priorities...

I completely agree. It's not a competition to see who works the hardest or suffers the most. We all have challenges in our lives, and we all have to set our own priorities. You either set, pursue, and achieve your goals or you don't. Good luck to all! <3
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Everyone has challenges. Students, married people, people with kids, single people dating, people with health conditions, working people, poor people, vacationing people, etc. We are not as unique as we think we are. CICO for everyone to manage weight.

I am a SAHM and homeschool my teenager. I think in some ways it is easier for weight loss and others it is harder than if I was working outside the home. I don't really feel it has been that difficult though for me.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    KassLea22 wrote: »
    we all have busy lives and circumstances we could use that as an excuse to not do things we don't want to do.
    I think this.
    Watch some episodes of "Supersize vs Superskinny" (youtube). You will meet overweight and underweight people of all categories - married women and men, single parents, bachelors, hard working and hardly working, can't cook or love to cook - all of them find their particular life and circumstances a hurdle to eat "enough, but not too much" and move, or not move too much.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,701 MFP Moderator
    Dear members,

This is a friendly reminder to please abide by our community guidelines when posting in the message boards. This thread will remain open for now, but may be locked or deleted if members continue to attack each other.

The guideline in question reads:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Please take some time to review the site's guidelines at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,
    Sugar
    MFP Moderator
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    No matter what your "situation" or occupation; a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit and you need self control.
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    I am single mom. I work as a social media manager from home. I always say at home mom life, working mom paycheck. My son has a extremely active dance and theatre life which I too do also. I also am a facepainter on the weekends. I think we 're all on our own journeys. I'd rather cheer someone on than make comparisons. Let's face it some days are better than others no matter who we are.
    ^^^This
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    I have done both. I was a SAHM for 3 years when my boys were younger and now I am working (they are 8 & 6, plus I have an 18 year old daughter) Both have pros and cons.

As a SAHM I found I could spread it out more, I could spend more time working on foods and prepping my food and every 90 minutes I had a timer on my phone that would remind me to get up and spend 5 minutes doing something more active. I would do things like leg lifts, jump rope, jumping jacks, etc. I also walked my boys all over the place since we only had one car. I would also spend nap time doing a workout video.

Now, I am in an office job but luckily it is really flexible and I have a standing desk. Now I have a reminder for every 45 minutes to either us the standing desk or go walk the floor I am on one time. I really should add stairs to that. I either workout in the early morning (5am- ish) or I use my lunch break for workouts.

As both it comes down to me needing to watch what I eat. And it comes to me prioritizing my health and how I feel.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Weight loss can be challenging for anybody. I see nothing wrong with seeking suggestions from others who have similar circumstances. People in college or who have been in college may have suggestions as to possible resources available to other people in college. SAHMs may have suggestions for groups that other SAHMs can look up. Etc. This thread comes off as "I'm busier than you so you shouldn't ask for advice from your peers."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think it sounds like the opposite, actually -- OP said it can be hard for everyone.

It kind of sounded like the thread OP was reacting to was that, that she was told that it was far, far more difficult as a SAHM than for anyone else, and that no one else could possibly understand the overwhelming difficulties (and of course not everyone has the same SAHM experience, as it's going to differ based on the age of the kids, whether they go to school or other activities, etc.).

Personally, I've always found it easy not to overeat when at home, and harder not to overeat at work, but people are different, and I am not home all day with kids either.