MFP pushing liberal agenda

Options

Replies

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    All of my ads are from amazon. And here's what I don't understand about amazon's ad programming: you're advertising the item I JUST BOUGHT. You don't have to advertise that, anymore. I already got it. I'm not going to buy it again.

I don't think MFP is trying to push its shopping agenda on me, though. Probably.

The advertisers probably know a lot more about you than you think. For the most part, I understand it's kept anonymously (in the sense they don't know who you actually are).

However, they still know you might buy tickets to "Annie" one day because they know you probably have daughters, search for plays, maybe certain movies, etc...in your case, maybe you won't buy another one of the items in question, as you just bought it...but somebody similar to you will. They need another one for some reason. If they show that ad to enough people, then perhaps somebody like you will finally decide they really do need another one of those items so they can give it away as a present.

It's really interesting, but can also be alarming in a creepy way.

What do you know about me that I don't, Google?

lol
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    Most of mine are recipe related. Or fitness trackers, which I already have 2 of.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    All of my ads are from amazon. And here's what I don't understand about amazon's ad programming: you're advertising the item I JUST BOUGHT. You don't have to advertise that, anymore. I already got it. I'm not going to buy it again.

I don't think MFP is trying to push its shopping agenda on me, though. Probably.

lol I could never understand that either. And it's not just Amazon ...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    bsgraham10 wrote: »
    MFP should not be allowing ads like this one way or another!

We aren't allowed to discuss politics here but advertisers are allowed to push this type of crap?

tumblr_lubfkj7vtt1qeohl6o1_500.gif

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Man, wasn't it just a few weeks ago when sock puppets were creating fake accounts and announcing that they were leaving MFP because UnderArmour's CEO said some nice things about DJT?
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Man, wasn't it just a few weeks ago when sock puppets were creating fake accounts and announcing that they were leaving MFP because UnderArmour's CEO said some nice things about DJT?

lol.

file.php?40,file=274421,filename=avHnbUZ_1_.gif
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    OMG MINE HAS AN AGENDA TOO

99boh9xs67xx.png

121195-Littlefinger-cheers-gif-Imgur-uKnT.gif
  • rustychord
    rustychord Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The advertisements're based upon, your own; search history! If you don't desire political advertisements then, don't search for; anything political & since you created a political thread you're now, going to receive even; more political advertisements!

Its interesting because i don't do searches for anything political.

I thought everyone was getting the same ads.

thanks for all the kind replies.... :neutral:
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Financial Times is not a "liberal" publication.

Majority owned by Nikkei (moderate conservative) and Editor is UC Berkley Educated and cut his teeth at WashPost in the 80's.

That's about as balanced a power structure in a news org as you are gonna get these days.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    The advertisements're based upon, your own; search history! If you don't desire political advertisements then, don't search for; anything political & since you created a political thread you're now, going to receive even; more political advertisements!

Do you read other news articles online?

^ This

@bsgraham10 Let's say you use MFP just, to track; your exercise & not, your food! You'll still, receive food advertisements because MFP also, does nutrition tracking! So you'll get, supplement & vitamin advertisements etc.

Plus just even clicking upon, a thread that isn't known to; be political like: cat gifs & if someone posts a, gif of; an orange cat & says this cat looks, like Donald Trump you'll get; political advertisements!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Complaining about free apps is a modern pathology.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Complaining about free apps is a modern pathology.

Nah. People have been doing it as long as they have had free will.

giphy-42.gif
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just remember, it's NOT MFP... it's Google who stalks you, your family and everyone you have ever known. But also, just in case you didn't know, anytime you sign up for an App, regardless if it's a flashlight app or one like this, you agree to allow them to collect all of your information, often access our geolocation and your contacts, and sell it or use it to sell you something.
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,854 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi @bsgraham10 Unfortunately, we are only indirectly in control of the ads that appear. We work with several ad-aggregating companies, and their role is to place ads that will (hopefully) be relevant to those who view them. To some degree these ads are selected based on the browser history of each user, which makes it even more of a challenge for us to have any direct effect on their content. It is often even a challenge to determine which of the ad networks is placing which ad. However, there are certain broad categories of ads that we do request our ad networks to exclude, including politically charged ads, religiously partisan ads, etc.

With that said, please contact support by clicking on this link: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new or send an email to support@myfitnesspal.com with your device information, the time you saw the ad and a screenshot and our support team will investigate.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    1468ec555bdaf43d02079649ccf2ebff.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Um ... The CEO of the company that owns MFP is a huge Trump supporter.

The ads you see are based solely on your Internet search history. Stop looking at political stuff and you won't see political ads.
This discussion has been closed.