Struggling to loose weight

Replies

• jkcal2
    jkcal2 Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks so much everyone. The sandwich was entered quickly on Sunday. I ended up having two naughty days. But if you look back the weeks before my holiday. I think im really accurate. Maybe the cheat meal on a Saturday night needs scrapping or re thinking. I just need to focus.

Oh also the mc donalds fanta im unsure of, as i typed in medium fanta and that come up.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    jkcal2 wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone. The sandwich was entered quickly on Sunday. I ended up having two naughty days. But if you look back the weeks before my holiday. I think im really accurate. Maybe the cheat meal on a Saturday night needs scrapping or re thinking. I just need to focus.

Oh also the mc donalds fanta im unsure of, as i typed in medium fanta and that come up.

Are you in the UK? According to the quick internet research I just did, a medium McDonald's drink is 400 ml in the UK. That's 13 ounces, so you had five more ounces than you logged. By itself, it isn't much. But if this is something that is happening regularly across different entries, it could help explain why you're struggling.
  • jkcal2
    Also how come sodium effect a diet?
  • jkcal2

Are you in the UK? According to the quick internet research I just did, a medium McDonald's drink is 400 ml in the UK. That's 13 ounces, so you had five more ounces than you logged. By itself, it isn't much. But if this is something that is happening regularly across different entries, it could help explain why you're struggling.
    Wow I just followed mfp after the search for it. It just shows you can mess up due to people doing false entries !! Ill have to start double checking everything. X
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Wow I just followed mfp after the search for it. It just shows you can mess up due to people doing false entries !! Ill have to start double checking everything. X

It may not necessarily be false -- it could be outdated or it could be true for another country. There's no way of knowing, which is why I typically double-check (especially for things I am going to eat more than once).
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm far from an expert, but my two cents would be to watch your sodium intake. 2300 is the max recommended amount and you seem to either hit that or exceed it on a fairly regular basis. Too much sodium can cause you to retain water (which would cause the number on the scale to be higher). Maybe start with that :smile: and good luck!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Also how come sodium effect a diet?

Depends on how your body reacts to in in terms of water weight. Say you actually lost 1 lb last week, but the day before weigh-in you had a sodium-heavy meal that caused you to retain 1.5 lbs of water weight overnight (easily possible). When you hop on the scale the next morning, instead of seeing the 1 lb you lost, you see a net increase of .5 lb and suddenly the world sucks and you hate dieting and go out and eat ALL the chocolate because hey, you gained weight anyway. Or not :wink: But you get my drift, I hope...
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    I would ditch the weekly cheat meal. Unless maybe you want to eat slightly less calories for the rest of the week and then use them on your cheat day. But even then, logging accurately when you've eaten at a restaurant can be hard and it can throw off your weekly calorie count more than expected. You may end up eating so many more calories than you think that it ruins your deficit for the week.

• musick79
    musick79 Posts: 13 Member
    I agree with ditching the weekly cheat meals if you want to consistently lose. Also if you can't log it in MFP right away put it down on paper.

I have been doing the same thing, down one week up the next. I was telling myself I was logging everything and then I started really looking. The coffee creamer that I skipped logging was 50 calories, the life savers were 60 (4 a day approx). That's 100+/- calories I wasn't considering. I am now logging everything that passes my lips. It is quite the wake up call. Measure everything too. Calories add up quickly.

Good luck!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Weigh and log your food accurately and stop with the cheat days. It's pretty much that simple. Aim for 1lb a week, be happy if you lose it faster, but the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it's going to be to lose weight, so you are going to have to be super accurate with your calories, and the cheat days will screw everything up. My suggestion is stick to a plan til you hit your goal weight, then slowly ramp up your calories to maintenance, then you can eat more of the stuff you like within reason. You don't sound like you have a lot left to lose.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    I agree with the suggestions to stop the cheat day. Well, you don't have to stop it, but you have to account for it. So if you want to have one high calorie day per week, that's totally fine, but you still need to log everything you eat that day, and make sure that for the week you are maintaining a deficit. There's nothing wrong with banking some calories each day to use for a 'cheat' day, it's the overall trend of being at a deficit, not hitting the deficit every single day that matters. For example, yesterday I think I was about 600 cals over my net goal, but I'm not worried about it because I know for the rest of the week I'll end up that much under across the rest of the days.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Ok so I looked through your journal for the past week. A few clarification questions: What are egg muffins? Are these a recipe? It says you had one serving. If it was a recipe, then you probably had your serving standarized out, but if it was just a random entry, a serving could vary wildly.

You had 2 grams of butter?

What is the m&S sunblush tomato & mozzarella salmon parcels?

When you had the McDonalds meal, did you have any ketchup? Are you adding anything to your sandwiches? Do you drink any coffee and add sugar or creamer to it? Do you fix your eggs in butter or oil? All condiments should be counted!

As for your logging:

March 28-1300
    March 27: 870- Did you eat anything else, or where you compensating for the day before?
    March 26: 2,500
    March 25: 1700
    March 24: 1,200- How did you determine the serving of chicken curry?
    March 23: 1,700
    March 22: 156 calories- is all you ate on this day 2 eggs?
    March 21: 156 calories- is all you ate 2 eggs?

I excluded March 21 and 22 because I am having a lot of trouble believing you only ate 2 eggs on both days.

I averaged out March 23-March 28. You are eating an average of 1,545, which is underestimating because I rounded all your calories down to make the numbers easier to work with. Unfortunately you are not eating the 1,200 you are eating more, which is likely why you are not losing weight. You are most likely eating at your maintenance.
  • jkcal2
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Ok so I looked through your journal for the past week. A few clarification questions: What are egg muffins? Are these a recipe? It says you had one serving. If it was a recipe, then you probably had your serving standarized out, but if it was just a random entry, a serving could vary wildly.

You had 2 grams of butter?

What is the m&S sunblush tomato & mozzarella salmon parcels?

When you had the McDonalds meal, did you have any ketchup? Are you adding anything to your sandwiches? Do you drink any coffee and add sugar or creamer to it? Do you fix your eggs in butter or oil? All condiments should be counted!

As for your logging:

March 28-1300
    March 27: 870- Did you eat anything else, or where you compensating for the day before?
    March 26: 2,500
    March 25: 1700
    March 24: 1,200- How did you determine the serving of chicken curry?
    March 23: 1,700
    March 22: 156 calories- is all you ate on this day 2 eggs?
    March 21: 156 calories- is all you ate 2 eggs?

I excluded March 21 and 22 because I am having a lot of trouble believing you only ate 2 eggs on both days.

I averaged out March 23-March 28. You are eating an average of 1,545, which is underestimating because I rounded all your calories down to make the numbers easier to work with. Unfortunately you are not eating the 1,200 you are eating more, which is likely why you are not losing weight. You are most likely eating at your maintenance.

Egg muffins are a recipie on my account. Ill attach a picture. I weighed everything.

Yes 2g of butter on fish, which i weighed correctly.

It was a peice of salmon with pesto mozzelra and a sundried tomato (not pastry
  • jkcal2
    Ah I wrote so much more and it wouldnt post!

The Mcdonalds was just the double cheeseburger a large fries and medium fanta. And I only drink water (and the odd diet coke)

Like I said on a previous post I was away 15th-22nd so that week isnt accurate at all. The previous weeks all before the holiday are spot on.

Haha I only put the eggs in as wanted to keep my MFP streak going
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

Haha I only put the eggs in as wanted to keep my MFP streak going
    All you need to do is log in to keep your streak. You don't have to log food.

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Ah ok. Overall I think your logging looks good and seems accurate. A lot of things are in grams which is good.

Please post that egg recipe, I would like to see how you determine portions.

Is M&s a restaurant?

What is your goal weight again, and what kind of weight loss numbers are you expecting to see?

I know this is probably annoying to hear but please be patient and consistent, but I do think you are the track to success!

Haha at logging the eggs! I have heard just logging in keeps the streak going too.
  • jkcal2
    uogofatcat wrote: »
    Ah ok. Overall I think your logging looks good and seems accurate. A lot of things are in grams which is good.

Please post that egg recipe, I would like to see how you determine portions.

Is M&s a restaurant?

What is your goal weight again, and what kind of weight loss numbers are you expecting to see?

I know this is probably annoying to hear but please be patient and consistent, but I do think you are the track to success!

Haha at logging the eggs! I have heard just logging in keeps the streak going too.

Sorry m&S is Marks and Spencer a food store.

I started at 12.2 and would love to get back to 9.8 but id be happy to set my goal at the min to 10.7.

Omg im so silly!!
  • jkcal2
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Like everyone said, log and weigh EVERYTHING. You said your weight loss is taking forever but my opinion is weight loss is not an overnight occurrence. Losing weight slowly will be more sustainable in the long run I've learned. ANY loss is a loss and worth being proud of.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Get moving, it's pretty simple.