What fit people are really thinking in the gym

I've seen an awful lot of threads about gym anxiety, and whether or not Fit People are judging your every move when you work out. Being a Reasonably Fit Person, I thought I'd expand on exactly what I'm thinking in the gym, so when you see someone like me, you won't have to wonder if I'm secretly judging you. Other fit people may chime in as needed. Warning: content may be disturbing to sensitive individuals!

In the locker room:
  • What am I starting with today? Pull-ups? Pull-ups.
  • Which top do I want to wear?
  • Do I have a tampon in here?
  • Do I have a hair tie?
  • Can I wear a - no.
  • Did I charge my headphones? I hope I charged my headphones.

During exercise:
  • One... two...three...
  • How's my ROM?
  • Six the seven that never-eighting rain in nine heart to tears of ten-white sorrow...
  • OW MY VEINS ARE GETTING SQUISHED FORM CORRECTION
  • One... more...
  • HROOOAAAAARGHARBLE oof.

During rest periods:
  • What's up next? Is it squats? I bet it's squats. FML.
  • Those leggings are super cute. I wonder where she got them. I want new leggings.
  • What possessed me to put this song on my workout playlist?
  • I hope that dude doesn't take too long in the squat rack.
  • Is he doing overhead squats? I want to do overhead squats. I wonder if I'd fall over.
  • Ugh, I have my mother's horrible calves. I wonder if surgery would fix that.
  • Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, it's hot in here. Why is it so hot? I'm going to go walk really slow in front of the airdyne bikes.

Back in the locker room:
  • Ow, my quads.
  • Omg so tired. Do I really have to stop at the store for dinner? I'm not going to the store. *kitten* the store. I am a grown-up and I will eat pretzels for dinner if I want.
  • Thank God for sports bras with zippers in the front.

Note that very little of this has anything to do with you. Unless you're wearing cute leggings, in which case I'm probably wishing I knew where you bought them. Also, my quads hurt. If you're around people lifting weights, some part of their body is very uncomfortable right now, and unless you're doing something really egregiously attention-getting you're going to have a very hard time distracting them from their next rep.

So now you know. Also, look up imaginary audience. The Wikipedia article talks about it in terms of childhood and adolescent development but it often persists into adulthood. As someone who has plenty of neuroses of my own, I can tell you that naming them is half the battle.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I'm not a gym rat, but I have heard people classify people who ride road bikes as bike snobs. That hasn't been my experience. Most of them are pretty nice guys who just happen to have enough money to afford more expensive bikes. They certainly aren't looking down on people who are riding something cheaper. Even so, when I see a rotund fellow on a carbon bike with aero bars my immediate thought is, "Are you kidding me?!"
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Love the one about clomping. That is so me.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I really admire all you people who are so focused on only your own stuff (and tacos). I imagine that comes with time and experience.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Love this post!

I think about food a lot during my workout...yup. Chances are if I'm looking in someone's direction I'm spaced out and actually just lost in thought trying to plan my grocery list in my head.