Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I swim so my thoughts are a little different:

In the locker room:
    I hope I get a lane by myself
    Is my swim cap going to split when I put it on?
    Did I charge my waterproof IPod?
    Why did I forget to treat my goggles with baby shampoo before leaving the house? Now they will fog up and I am NOT going to spit in them.

In the pool:
    Cute suit, wonder what brand that is. Hope it is chlorine resistant
    Did I remember to press the button on my lap counter for that last lap?
    (Singing in my head to the songs)

In the locker room/shower:
    I worked out today so I can have WINE tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

off topic but: baby shampoo stops fogging goggles!? epic! thanks

thoughts in swimming:
    changing room
    argh why has someone used 'my locker'
    eek icky floor dance
    why did I leave my float in the car
    brr cold shower

swimming
    hope I can get some consistant swimming in without having to stop when people are slower and don't let me pass
    I hate lap 12 to 20
    am I at 40 yet
    am I on 14 or 16???
    ok 70 done, you got the other 10!
    yay jacuzzi time!

changing for work
    did I remember pants and bra??
    where did my trolley coin go
    argh someone is in 'my shower'
    eek icky floor dance
    it's way too hot in here
    do I have time for the free breakfast?

thoughts in gym generally merge into 'omg how have I only been here for 5 minutes, it's been days!!!' and 'crud, I wanted that machine what do I do next now??!'
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

In the locker room:
    Why did I forget to treat my goggles with baby shampoo before leaving the house? Now they will fog up and I am NOT going to spit in them.

In the pool:

thoughts in swimming:
    changing room
    eek icky floor dance
    brr cold shower

swimming
    hope I can get some consistant swimming in without having to stop when people are slower and don't let me pass
    I hate lap 12 to 20
    am I at 40 yet
    am I on 14 or 16???
    yay jacuzzi time!

changing for work
    eek icky floor dance
    it's way too hot in here

thoughts in gym generally merge into 'omg how have I only been here for 5 minutes, it's been days!!!' and 'crud, I wanted that machine what do I do next now??!'

Oh that's a relief. I thought I was the only one who got rather propertial over lockers.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options

Oh that's a relief. I thought I was the only one who got rather propertial over lockers.

nope, I have 'my' changing cubicle too - right under the air con unit for maximum cool air to enable actually getting dressed! B)
    but lockers is key, they can stick, keys break, location also - completely have to get the correct one! :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

In the locker room:

In the pool:

thoughts in swimming:
    changing room
    eek icky floor dance
    brr cold shower

swimming
    I hate lap 12 to 20
    am I at 40 yet
    am I on 14 or 16???
    yay jacuzzi time!

changing for work
    eek icky floor dance
    it's way too hot in here

Nope. Having *my* locker taken can totally ruin my time at the gym.

I'm a silly creature of habit :tongue:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    [*] Thank God for sports bras with zippers in the front.
    [/list]
    I love front close/zip bras.
    bagge72 wrote: »

Between sets

Look at all these *kitten* people not putting their weights back where they are supposed to! I hate them so much! Why is it so hard to put the 45's back with the other ones, why did you put one on top of the 5's and one on top of the 25's! I hate you! I wonder if he will spot me.

Oh god, this is me on lifting days. The 10 lb plates are never on the rack, they're always spread out and I have to search for them. Two days ago the rack where they belong was filled with 25 lb plates and the rest of the plates were put in order from there so the only empty rack was the lowest one that is supposed to hold the biggest plates.

I used to work at a gym. Whenever I closed I spent the last hour re-racking weights and trying to evenly distributing the plates among all the racks. It pissed me off soooo much when someone would set down 50 pound dumbells right in front of me, while I am holding the 10 pound weights that go in that spot. The worst was the EZ curl bars. Who the *kitten* puts 110lb bars on the top of the rack!

Currently I go to a rock climbing gym. Most of the staring is, "Oh so THAT'S how you do that route, FML I can't bend like that," or "OMG those are cute leggings! Is that a Totoro chalk bag?!?"
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Love this!

In the locker room:

Where is my towel and my water bottle
    Where is my work out schedule
    (we always get a locker key) - where is that locker number

During exercise:
    Cab I do my routine in my preferred order.
    Bloody hot here
    Where is my extra add on weight?

During rest periods:
    La-la-la- la
    Or sing along in my mind to the song beign played
    nothing

Back in the locker room:
    Where is my key?
    Ow my shouldrs!
    God I am tired
    Is it raining outside?
  • CrazyWelsh
    CrazyWelsh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had skinny fit gym member laugh at me for being fat. I turn around and say very loudly 'it ok you can laugh at me, I laugh at self only difference is I support every person in this gym and not judge'. Person went very quiet.

I not work in local gym but I have good laugh. Made lots gym buddies, never met before but the gym members know they come to me for bit of boost on tredmil or just talk and walk. I happy to help everyone.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    in the locker room
    F*C* yeah I brought THOSE pants- these pants are AWESOME. YAS YAS YAS- SO EXCITED I GET TO GO LIFT IN THESE JONS.
    F((K- I'm still bulking- these *kitten* barely fit.

walking out
    YO_ CHECK MY NEW PANTS *announced to literally EVERYONE*

Lifting
    SAY HIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE
    warm up takes forever.
    damn- I have armpit fuzzies.
    My *kitten* looks popping while I do this- now- whose side eyeing me for doing yoga warm ups in the squat rack.
    Complain to neighbors about squats and politics
    SQWWWUAAATS- best thing ever.
    Dance party between sets.
    SQWUATS
    Do I have time for accessories?
    sure?!?
    Shoulders- not the best thing ever.

F**K I"M LATE FOR DANCE.

RUNS OUT DOOR
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've seen an awful lot of threads about gym anxiety, and whether or not Fit People are judging your every move when you work out. Being a Reasonably Fit Person, I thought I'd expand on exactly what I'm thinking in the gym, so when you see someone like me, you won't have to wonder if I'm secretly judging you. Other fit people may chime in as needed. Warning: content may be disturbing to sensitive individuals!

In the locker room:
    • What am I starting with today? Pull-ups? Pull-ups.
    • Which top do I want to wear?
    • Do I have a tampon in here?
    • Do I have a hair tie?
    • Can I wear a - no.
    • Did I charge my headphones? I hope I charged my headphones.

During exercise:
    • One... two...three...
    • How's my ROM?
    • Six the seven that never-eighting rain in nine heart to tears of ten-white sorrow...
    • OW MY VEINS ARE GETTING SQUISHED FORM CORRECTION
    • One... more...
    • HROOOAAAAARGHARBLE oof.

During rest periods:
    • What's up next? Is it squats? I bet it's squats. FML.
    • Those leggings are super cute. I wonder where she got them. I want new leggings.
    • What possessed me to put this song on my workout playlist?
    • I hope that dude doesn't take too long in the squat rack.
    • Is he doing overhead squats? I want to do overhead squats. I wonder if I'd fall over.
    • Ugh, I have my mother's horrible calves. I wonder if surgery would fix that.
    • Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, it's hot in here. Why is it so hot? I'm going to go walk really slow in front of the airdyne bikes.

Back in the locker room:
    • Ow, my quads.
    • Omg so tired. Do I really have to stop at the store for dinner? I'm not going to the store. *kitten* the store. I am a grown-up and I will eat pretzels for dinner if I want.
    • Thank God for sports bras with zippers in the front.

Note that very little of this has anything to do with you. Unless you're wearing cute leggings, in which case I'm probably wishing I knew where you bought them. Also, my quads hurt. If you're around people lifting weights, some part of their body is very uncomfortable right now, and unless you're doing something really egregiously attention-getting you're going to have a very hard time distracting them from their next rep.

So now you know. Also, look up imaginary audience. The Wikipedia article talks about it in terms of childhood and adolescent development but it often persists into adulthood. As someone who has plenty of neuroses of my own, I can tell you that naming them is half the battle.

When will this run end!
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Love this post!

I think about food a lot during my workout...yup. Chances are if I'm looking in someone's direction I'm spaced out and actually just lost in thought trying to plan my grocery list in my head.

Have this thing about watching food Network while on treadmill. Very weird but somehow helpful and calming.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    While i think this is cool and all, I can't help but mention that some people really ARE judging and being *kitten* in the gym.

I know i've given people the stink eye before because they won't get off of a piece of equipment i want. Or some guy who was trying to do what i can only describe as "crossfit" in our weight lifting area. Or some trainer who was giving VERY bad advice to one of his clients.

I feel justified in the above judgements, but certainly others make negative judgements against others all the time. And not just in the gym.

I think it's nice to be all "so positive! look at her go! you go girl! cute bag! wow she's working really hard!" i think it's silly to suggest that we don't judge others in the gym or that all stares/nonverbal communication is positive fan-girl cheering.

Now, i'm not trying to be a jerk... just a little more realistic. At the end of the day it shouldn't be "no one is judging me or being nasty! yeah! we're all just one big happy supportive group!" but "who gives a flying fudge what other people think about me, especially individuals who have no impact on my life/don't know me".

True.

However, there are a number of people that seem to think that they can't go to a gym because 'the fit people' are going to be judging them. When in reality, there's likely not more judgement going on in the gym vs outside, or by 'the fit people' vs everyone else.

I take the thread more as an example that 'the fit people' as a group aren't asshats. Doesn't negate that there are asshats in every group. Good thing they tend to be a small minority though they may sometimes seem otherwise, vocal and obnoxious as they are.

I think it's also important to mention (atleast evidenced by this thread if nothing else) that all people are self-serving and egotistic to some extent. I would say on average people are more concerned about themselves than what others are/aren't doing in the gym.

;)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I think it's nice to be all "so positive! look at her go! you go girl! cute bag! wow she's working really hard!" i think it's silly to suggest that we don't judge others in the gym or that all stares/nonverbal communication is positive fan-girl cheering.

I think you missed the point of the post.

Yes, there are @ssholes in the gym. There are @ssholes everywhere. A person who goes to the gym determined to ferret out every single one of them so they can point and go "See? See? Fit people are jerks!" will probably come away with at least a couple of anecdotes they can pull out on a thread like this and say "All your experiences are invalid because for some mysterious reason I meet rude people wherever I go."

The point of the post was that actual fit people, while they are in the gym, are there to work. Their work is difficult, time-consuming, tiring, and occasionally painful. Generally speaking, they do not have the time or the inclination to pay attention to you, either to cheer you on or to cut you down. People who are only in the gym to gossip while pedaling slowly on the exercise bikes are a different story. People who have gym anxiety should not hang out with those people. They should hang out with people, fit or not-yet-fit, who have better things to do.

Not everything is about the audience. I get that that can be a difficult thing to convince yourself of, but it's true. This post was an attempt to convey that message, and fortunately it's gotten more supporting responses than attempts to convince readers that people at the gym really will be judging them all the time.

And is seems you missed the entire point of my post.
    At the end of the day it shouldn't be "no one is judging me or being nasty! yeah! we're all just one big happy supportive group!" but "who gives a flying fudge what other people think about me, especially individuals who have no impact on my life/don't know me".

Who cares if people are being positive in their intentions or negative in their intentions towards you? Focus on yourself.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    honestly, as long as everyone stays out of my way and abides by basic gym etiquette, I really don't care...