What fit people are really thinking in the gym

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    -"Why are there so many pointless hip abduction machines in here? They could have put like four more Smith Machines in."
    "

bwahaha..except I'm usually eyeing the Smith Machines (and a bunch of other stuff including the aforementioned hip abduction machine) with an.."if they got rid of those things they could put a bunch more normal racks & bars in" when I'm waiting to do squats.

That and "why TF didn't they just spring for ALL adjustable benches" as I wait to bench press while racks and bars with fixed inclined or perpendicular full backed seats sit vacant.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options

"The boy can move the chess pieces! He's the rightful heir! Have Drew move the pieces and stop the King!"
    - "Yes! I told you Drew could do it! Hurry!"

I totally 'read' this audiobook. It was on squats day though, and I find the last few reps distracting, so I had to go back and re-read some of it on OH press day....
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I think it's an important distinction to note that a lot of the time, when we are judging people at the gym, it's due to behavior and not due to weight/physical appearance*. If you're being inconsiderate, breaking the norms of gym etiquette or doing something unsafe, someone will probably notice and might think poorly of you. But behaviors can be learned, and nobody started off knowing exactly which unspoken rules applied at each gym. Most of us learned at some point, and the people who aren't new and still break the rules get judged for it. (I'm thinking of you, terrible trainers at my gym, who absolutely should know better and yet still do things like stand in my bar path when I'm trying to bench).

*Of course, sometimes it is due to weight/physical appearance, but some people are jerks. That's a universal truth about people, whether they're in the gym or not.

This is a good point. I don't give a flip if someone's overweight or super fit, as long as they are behaving respectfully and not doing something unsafe, I don't pay them much mind. I DO notice when people who have no business teaching other people how to lift do so without regard for safety, form, and what their students can do, or when someone is being rude and hogging multiple pieces of equipment or refusing to let people work in. Those people I feel judgy toward.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    At home packing my bag
    I really don't want to go tonight

Driving to the gym
    I really don't want to go tonight I hope the parkway is not busy, I don't want to go tonight, I hope there's decent parking in the parking lot

Walking into the gym
    Do I have everything with me. I hope there's a locker available.

In the locker room
    Good I found a locker. May as well start this

Once I start the workout
    Let's do this.
    Why are they sitting on the bench playing with their phone, I need the bench.
    Why don't they put the weights back where they belong.

Once I'm done with the workout
    Let's hit the showers and get the hell out of here.
    Why don't these slobs pick up after themselves.
    Good workout

One last thing and this isn't being arrogant but looking in the mirror and going damn I'm 56 and on the flat belly and I'm getting cut. Glad I went

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    During cardio: "Why is every freakin' TV tuned to the Food Nerwork?!!?! Now I'm hungry!"
  • northerngirl09
    northerngirl09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pre workout
    I get changed at home, but it's usually:
    S**t, forgot to shave my legs and I've only got shorter leggings clean
    Where are all my hair grips?? I had hundreds yesterday. When I didn't need them.
    Will I look ridiculous in these new gloves?
    Where is my water bottles?

During workout (Body combat)
    Jab, hook, uppercut, knee. Jab, hook, uppercut, knee. Jab, hook, uppercut knee......
    How the hell do they do those drop kicks without falling on their *kitten*??
    Oh great. Mountain climbers. Love mountain climbers. NOT.
    Love this song.
    Hate this song.
    What is wrong with this trainer today?? I swear she is trying to kill me.
    Jab left, jab right.....wait, jab right, jab left.......
    Water. Need. Water.

Post workout
    What's for tea.
    Must shave my legs.

• AUGirl79
    AUGirl79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight into what is on your minds while in the gym. I am a newbie and don't really know what I am doing. I am also constantly watching the clock so I can get done and be back in the office on time.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    And yesterday ...

*sets of deadlifts*

Lookee there, now I know who the douche is that not been racking his weights lately. Off he goes for pull-ups, leaving me to use the crappy incline bench with the rusty pins that stick or pull 100+ lbs off of the bar just to set up. Thanks a lot.

*last set of deadlifts*

Forget it, I'll deal with the pins. If I rack the weights first, odds are I wont' be able to finish my reps.

*set of incline press*

And there's the douche on the assisted pull up machine. Why's he using that if he's not using the assist? Isn't that awkward having to avoid the assist bar every rep? There's 3 empty regular pull-up/chin-up bars he can use and he's plenty tall enough to reach them without climbing the rack like a monkey. Unlike me. *grump*

*set of incline press*

*BANG*

Yikes - not smart to just drop on the assist bar. That sounded terrible. And looks like it hurt. Yay - here comes the gym staff to explain 'What Not To Do'. Maybe that'll help.

*last set of incline press*

Hey, look who's coming back to rack his weights. Guess he got the full spiel. Maybe he just didn't realize, though I wonder why he thought the rest of us were racking ours. Doesn't matter.

*on to next lift*

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    What's ironic for out of shape/overweight people new to the gym, is that rather then the regulars staring at them, it's usually the other way around and in awe of the fit people. I get it with clients all the time. Many always say "I want to look like them." referring to a fit individual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I admit it, I watch people. There are a couple of dudes that have truly excellent form, and they are a joy to observe. Especially when Stealth Muscle Guy is doing 500lb deadlifts or Ironic Facial Hair Guy is benching 250 like it ain't no thing.

Sometimes it's more curious, like "How does Hijab Girl keep from losing that thing when she runs?" or "What on earth is Sleeveless Hoodie Dude *doing* with a balance ball, two resistance bands, and the Smith machine?"
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Gym time is my decompress time - I go through the day and think through each interaction and how I could have done this better in preparation for the next day.

Other than that it's the infrequent "If gym bunny doesn't get out of the power cage working with just the bar she is in for some wicked crop dusting."

Well it is a good job I am not easily intimidated.
    Just as I am thinking I could manage the bar, but would need to move into the cage, you think it is inappropriate to use the cage if you are just squatting the bar.

Ever heard 'lift what is heavy fior you'?

At 5'1, 103lbs, and 63yo a bare bar will be an amazing achievement for me.
    And I'm not a gym bunny just because I can't lift as heavy as others.

Sorry to go off topic, that just got me a tad narked.

Cheers, h.

As long as you're actually using the equipment for its intended purpose I wouldn't care. I only get mad when the selfie girls dump their mats inside the squat rack and proceed to do sit ups and junk in between photo ops. My gym only has 1 squat rack -.-
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't do a gym (workout at home and a practice facility) but I would imagine if I were in a gym the thought would be the same...

"**** I'm tired!"
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »
    "What on earth is Sleeveless Hoodie Dude *doing*

heh. reminds me that one of my thoughts yesterday was 'like the biggest jawa you've ever seen', because i've been hunting for a while for a way to describe this enormous [Sleeved] Hoodie Guy who's a regular at my place.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    In The Gym

"Gee I really want to start wearing those cute tank top workout shirts but I am just too lazy to shave my underarms!! I'll wear them in the Summer!"
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    People might notice if you're wasting time or doing an exercise badly. I can't help but notice when people do push-ups improperly, for example. Or when their butts barely go down when doing free squats. And I certainly notice when people chat a lot during exercises classes, or when they lean against the exercise equipment.

As for the guys who hit on women at the gym? Yeah, it's hard not to notice them.

When people notice such things though, it's not because they're fit. Rather, it's because they're serious about working out. They understand the need for concerted effort and proper form, and so they notice when people are exercising ineffectively or in a half-baked manner.

As long as you work hard and take your workouts seriously, most avid gym goers are unlikely to judge you. They understand that everyone has to start somewhere.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good Post - I keep to myself. Gym is my "me" time, so I'm always talking in my head, or I hope it's in my head lol. Though, I do fear that my underwear are showing through my leggings during squats/deadlifts etc. Which I usually decide, who cares if they are.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    later this afternoon I'll be thinking, "*kitten* deadlifts...I *kitten* hate you."

I know I'm atypical...I really don't like them that much, but what are you gonna do?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I'm not that fit but I'm usually trying to just hold in my farts.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    later this afternoon I'll be thinking, Awesome deadlifts...I *kitten* hate love you."

FTFY