Mean Things People Said That Ended Up Motivating You

Options

Replies

• starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My mother said I was 'letting myself go' on a visit last summer after I gained an additional 10 lbs in a year to 162 at 5'4. I am not sure if that was my final motivation to lose 28 lbs, but she sure does approve of me now.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My ex told me 40 was going to hit me alot worse than it was going to hit him. I was 34 at the time. I'll be 40 in sept and scheduled for a pinup shoot so yeah 40 is looking pretty good.

@theskinnyonme - that's fantastic!

• peanutbuttertuesday
    peanutbuttertuesday Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me feel sad. I can't help but put myself in each of your shoes as I read these comments. I definitely don't feel inspired by insults.

For me, the last straw was shopping for jeans for my birthday. I couldn't find my size in long lengths anywhere. Apparently tall women aren't supposed to go beyond a size 16. I ended up finding a 22L at one store and settling for that. It was only slightly too big. I had never had such a problem finding clothes like that and decided I was never going to again.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me feel sad. I can't help but put myself in each of your shoes as I read these comments. I definitely don't feel inspired by insults.

For me, the last straw was shopping for jeans for my birthday. I couldn't find my size in long lengths anywhere. Apparently tall women aren't supposed to go beyond a size 16. I ended up finding a 22L at one store and settling for that. It was only slightly too big. I had never had such a problem finding clothes like that and decided I was never going to again.

Not sure if you're still buying plus sizes but there are a lot of plus size options out there now. It took some time but companies have caught on.
  • viviennereill
    viviennereill Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My mother said I was 'letting myself go' on a visit last summer after I gained an additional 10 lbs in a year to 162 at 5'4. I am not sure if that was my final motivation to lose 28 lbs, but she sure does approve of me now.

Sorry that happened to you - that's *kitten* that approval is based on your weight.
    However, I'm glad you were able to lose weight, if that's what you wanted :)
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I got sick of everyone asking if I was pregnant. The worst was at wedding, during the ceremony, I could hear my husband's mother discussing with someone whether or not I was pregnant or if it was just my dress. I refuse to call that witch by anything other than her name or "my husband's mother".

Not the reason I started losing weight, but definitely something that stays with me. My final straw was actually the embarrassment of having to have my wedding band cut off my finger.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    mawill08 wrote: »
    mila_lova wrote: »
    Yesterday, I walked by the detention table and a kid yelled at me "She's ugly! She's SO ugly!!!"....I didn't binge that night and I called the dermatologist.

Also, in November my boyfriend told me the only reason he would break up with me was my 20 lb weight gain.

You have bigger problems than just weight loss!

Agreed. Have you thought about talking to him about that? It seems like a really shallow, superficial and judgmental comment. No one who cares about you should say something like that.

You could lose over 100 pounds really fast and ditch the boy"friend." :wink:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The only mean things about my body that anyone has ever said was when I got fit.

What got me to change was the voice in my own head. My jeans were getting pretty tight and one morning after a bit of a struggle, I saw two very large women waiting on the elevator to take them up one floor, and clear as a bell the voice said, "in 5-10 years, that will be you if you don't change". I'd been gaining 10lbs/year..Needed the first 20, didn't need the last 30. Took a walk that afternoon, and never looked back.

My mum told me that my muscles made me "almost ugly". That didn't change my routine or my goals.