"You're really gonna eat that?"

Options
12346»

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    raw cabbage hearts (seriously, take a bite out of one of these bad guys, they're awesome)

My husband does this. I think it's weird. :laugh: I did try it but it's a little bitter for my tastes. But since I love the outside leaves that a lot of people peel off to get to the head and he likes the core, we have no waste when we eat cabbage.

Haha, I thought it was weird when I was with my grandparents making sauerkraut and watched my granddad eat the hearts a few times and eventually tried it and liked it.
  • writinmama
    writinmama Posts: 15
    Options
    I know it's weird, but I love sauerkraut....
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Nope, not weird to me! Stuff is delicious...
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I think a lot of people don't think it's real food unless it comes from a drive-through or a microwavable tray. I tend to eat half a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly), a bag of baby carrots, a fruit of some kind, and maybe yogurt or something -- and my office-mates at internship looked at me funny.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I get weird looks when peole see me count out my almonds to add to my greek yogurt. I'm not only doing it for portion control - 14 almonds is just exactly enough to get one almond in every bite. And when we had a ginormous box of Goldfish crackers in the office and everybody was lamenting how they couldn't leave them alone, I went out and counted out 55 crackers so we could all see what one serving looked like. They kept moaning about their inability to control themselves, so I put the box away in my drawer.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Mine is broccoli. I eat a full bowl of broccoli as a snack at work usually. If I put it in the microwave to steam them, I catch hell for the smell. oh well. If I eat it raw, people still make comments asking me how I can eat it...

LOVE BROCCOLI!
    I get looks to but oh well, i love it. :)
  • juscallmeb
    Options
    peanut butter and apples :)

heaven! love that
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Went to the inlaws for dinner, they were making pasta, so I brought half a spaghetti squash (to replace the pasta) and a container filled with chopped zuchinni, onion, mushrooms, and baby spinach ( to add to my sauce). They were completely put off, mainly by the squash, and made comments all thru dinner...."that can't be good", "how can you eat that", "how can Mike(hubby) stand to smell that all the time?" This coming from two people who spent a week end in the hospital last month, one for a TIA and blood pressure that was thru the roof and the other for what the doc thought was a heart attack, they even shared a room. And they can tell me how I should eat?

edit for grammar...

I see two flipsides to this...and in laws are always an 'issue', but when you're in someone elses house...you eat the food. Now you can always invite them out to eat if eating their food is a big problem, or eat a lot less, fill up on healthy veggies before you go and limit your quannitity. It's genearlly (I come from two big 'food' cultures...polish and italian...and it's generally offensive to bring your own food to someone's house unless you have a medical allergy and can't eat anything...) Flip side is, as hosts they should really be concerned with any of your dietary restrictions, and keep their comments to themselves!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I don't even have to eat anything weird to get comments at work. Any time I'm making, say, a turkey sandwich, or a tuna sandwich, I get the weirdest comments like "you're always making these elaborate lunches". Really? Put 2 slices of bread in the toaster, drop on some turkey and mustard, maybe some romaine, and that counts as elaborate these days? One time I happened to have a can of tuna from whole foods and I got some comment like, "looks like somebody's making the big bucks". The person who said it drives a flashy Mercedes and probably goes out to lunch every day. Even the cheapest fast food costs more than a can of tuna.

Wow, really they flippantly said "someone's making the big bucks...", because you BROUGHT your lunch, rather than went OUT to lunch? Some people.
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    peanut butter and apples :)

You should try peanut butter, apples and a slice of banana. Best ever.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    Oh and to answer the question - I don't know I haven't had too many weird reactions...but I don't work either so maybe I'm mostly around people who eat like me.

My family at home freaks out that I eat lightlife fake bologna and fake veggie bacon....but that's about it -
  • juscallmeb
    Options
    Raw tomatoes with salt... Love tomatoes, but many people ask- by themselves? Heck yeah!

so yummy! love tomatoes - I usually just take a container of cherry tomatoes and pop in like candy! mmm
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    I don't even have to eat anything weird to get comments at work. Any time I'm making, say, a turkey sandwich, or a tuna sandwich, I get the weirdest comments like "you're always making these elaborate lunches". Really? Put 2 slices of bread in the toaster, drop on some turkey and mustard, maybe some romaine, and that counts as elaborate these days? One time I happened to have a can of tuna from whole foods and I got some comment like, "looks like somebody's making the big bucks". The person who said it drives a flashy Mercedes and probably goes out to lunch every day. Even the cheapest fast food costs more than a can of tuna.

Wow, really they flippantly said "someone's making the big bucks...", because you BROUGHT your lunch, rather than went OUT to lunch? Some people.

Wow elaborate??? These people must be lazy.
  • juscallmeb
    Options
    I have people stop at my desk when I'm counting out food for a portion, and I just keep counting.. :)
    move along! lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I'm very picky about my sauerkraut - not too sweet, not too sour - but when done right I LOVE it. My grandmother used to make the best sauerkraut.