BULLETPROOF COFFEE:- Anyone tried it?

Replies

• cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    cfriend71 wrote: »
    Not to mention any initial loss on ANY diet is water lol

The effects tend to be considerably more dramatic in low carb diets.

That's your opinion & you're entitled to that. But I've tried literally every diet out there and every time I lost 5-7 lbs the first week (which of course includes water).
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Not to mention any initial loss on ANY diet is water lol

The effects tend to be considerably more dramatic in low carb diets.

That's your opinion & you're entitled to that. But I've tried literally every diet out there and every time I lost 5-7 lbs the first week (which of course includes water).

Carbs retain water, which is not my opinion. People do vary for countless reasons, but as a single variable, carbs retain more water than no carbs.
  • cfriend71
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    Somebody beat me to it...

Yes I know what you're saying but I do not have to calorie count, per se. That's all. When I reach my carb limit I usually only have fats left so I have to eat something fatty that has no carbs.
  • cfriend71
    phrobbert wrote: »
    I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.

The first time I went on a keto diet I did the exact same thing. And yes, I did lose a fair amount of weight. However after a while I plateaued which is probably because my weight dropped to the point where my maintenance calories coincided with what I was eating. Since going back on keto I've been careful to go with a daily deficit and I've seen a much more consistent weight loss.

Can you kindly explain what you mean as a deficit? I'm intrigued. Thank you

Eating less calories than your body requires.

Ok yes. Someone suggested that I mix intermittent fasting with Keto. Any opinions on that?
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

Hate to tell you but carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. Repeating "I'm doing keto" a million times every day will not change this.

I would suggest tracking everything you put in you mouth, including your bulletproof mocha if you want to achieve your weight loss goals.

I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.

Eating low carb will mean your body drops a lot of water. It's not fat.

Really? I did low carb years ago and lost 50 lbs. how can that be a water? Lol

The initial quick weight loss with low carb diets is the result of depletion of glycogen and the water stored with it--this is where you 6 pounds in a few days came from. You will eventually lose fat if you consume fewer calories than you burn, this is how your body works.
  • cfriend71
    I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs by the end of May. If I lose more great but I'm trying to be realistic. I have done it before. Just have to keep it off for good :D
  • cfriend71
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

Hate to tell you but carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. Repeating "I'm doing keto" a million times every day will not change this.

I would suggest tracking everything you put in you mouth, including your bulletproof mocha if you want to achieve your weight loss goals.

Eating low carb will mean your body drops a lot of water. It's not fat.

Really? I did low carb years ago and lost 50 lbs. how can that be a water? Lol

The initial quick weight loss with low carb diets is the result of depletion of glycogen and the water stored with it--this is where you 6 pounds in a few days came from. You will eventually lose fat if you consume fewer calories than you burn, this is how your body works.

I have done every diet in the book & have always lost 5-7 lbs in the initial week or two.
  • comeonnow142857
    Somebody beat me to it...

Yes I know what you're saying but I do not have to calorie count, per se.

That's because you're indirectly calorie counting by counting macros (which are calorie groups).

It's like counting the kilogram weights you put on the bar every week, but not counting the overall poundage. You're still controlling that overall poundage, and thus any programming of progressive resistance. And it's the overall poundage that is determining your progression.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs by the end of May. If I lose more great but I'm trying to be realistic. I have done it before. Just have to keep it off for good :D

Thats likely unrealistic - 2.5lbs a week loss is a lot for most.

Keeping it off for good would be more likely to happen if you lose weight more slowly, in a way that is sustainable long term. Does a keto or low carb type diet seem like something you'll do for life? If not, you're likely to put the weight back on at the "end" if your diet.
    You don't need to do low carb to lose weight - you just need to stick to your deficit.
  • cfriend71

The first time I went on a keto diet I did the exact same thing. And yes, I did lose a fair amount of weight. However after a while I plateaued which is probably because my weight dropped to the point where my maintenance calories coincided with what I was eating. Since going back on keto I've been careful to go with a daily deficit and I've seen a much more consistent weight loss.

And so when I see my weight loss stalking then I can reduce my deficit. Good advice. Thanks
  • cfriend71
    *stalling lol
  • comeonnow142857

And so when I see my weight loss stalking then I can reduce my deficit. Good advice. Thanks

Reduce your calories/macros. Don't reduce the deficit... If your weight loss has stalled, it means the deficit has already reduced, and you want to increase it by lowering your calories.
  • GorgeousMa
    GorgeousMa Posts: 34 Member
    I drink it once in awhile if I dont get enough fat in (I usually just use butter) but most people use it as a meal and I need food to feel full so it does not benefit me.......Some people love it so I don't knock it I just wanna eat my fat
  • cfriend71

Reduce your calories/macros. Don't reduce the deficit... If your weight loss has stalled, it means the deficit has already reduced, and you want to increase it by lowering your calories.

Ok. My weight loss has not stalled but it will. I understand that. So when it does I will reduce my macros. Thanks!
  • comeonnow142857

Either way, I lost 6 lbs in 3 days. I'll take it

I have done every diet in the book & have always lost 5-7 lbs in the initial week or two.

There's a vast difference between losing 6lbs in 3 days and 7lbs in two weeks.

Carbs retain water.
  • cfriend71

Carbs retain water.

I was just throwing out a roundabout figure. Not needing to feel I had to be so 'technical.'
  • livingleanlivingclean
    JerSchmare wrote: »

I'm glad you're trying to understand.

Low carb is not magic and it doesn't work for the reasons you think it does. But, it works for you and that's ok. But, just understand that all you are doing is eating less food than your body requires. Typically, the reason for this is that carbs carry a lot of calories. Many of them are empty, nutritionally speaking. Proteins and fats are heavy, and have less calories. So, you can eat more volume of food, and keep full longer.

When I tried keto, I was amazed that I could only fit about 1400 calories into my belly. At that time, I usually ate around 2500 to 3,000 on a non-keto diet.

I stopped because I felt it was unnecessarily restrictive.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded...

Protein and carbs both have 4 cals per gram. Fat is 9 cals per gram making it more calorie dense. It is easy to eat excessive calories of fat because of the calorie density - there's very little volume for a large chunk of calories
  • cfriend71

Low carb is not magic and it doesn't work for the reasons you think it does. But, it works for you and that's ok. But, just understand that all you are doing is eating less food than your body requires. Typically, the reason for this is that carbs carry a lot of calories. Many of them are empty, nutritionally speaking. Proteins and fats are heavy, and have less calories. So, you can eat more volume of food, and keep full longer.

When I tried keto, I was amazed that I could only fit about 1400 calories into my belly. At that time, I usually ate around 2500 to 3,000 on a non-keto diet.

I am trying to understand yes but I am also going to continue Keto until it doesn't suit me anymore. Then I will have to find something else that works. I've never had luck with weight watchers (where you count points and can eat practically anything). I notice when I eat carbs i become addicted so for me, personally, low carb is a good way. I don't need unhealthy carbs and I am still getting some carbs with Keto. I appreciate all of your input but I just didn't come here to be attacked or argued with. Someone asked if I've tried bulletproof coffee and I provided feedback yes. Then it turned into this lol. I'm doing Keto. I wish you all the best with whatever you are doing as well. Peace.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited April 2017

Carbs retain water.

I was just throwing out a roundabout figure. Not needing to feel I had to be so 'technical.'

Nobody said you had to be so 'technical', not sure where you're getting that from. There is nothing technical about pointing out a vast difference in one thing happening at >400% the rate of another thing, when you brought up these rates to defend a position of those things being equal for you.

Just pointing out that your own personal numbers supported the position that there's a greater rate of water loss with ketogenic dieting than with higher carb dieting, in spite of all the personal variation from other variables that was already being accounted for as a possibility for an individual anecdote not clearly reflecting that fact.

Which of course, all follows, from the non-opinion that carbohydrates retain water.
  • livingleanlivingclean

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded...

Protein and carbs both have 4 cals per gram. Fat is 9 cals per gram making it more calorie dense. It is easy to eat excessive calories of fat because of the calorie density - there's very little volume for a large chunk of calories

In theory, you use less fat though. Cook with olive oil, but the majority of the food is the chicken. When I was trying keto, I found I could not reach my calorie goals. I was just too full.

But the majority of calories is probably from fat.