BULLETPROOF COFFEE:- Anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    cfriend71 wrote: »
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

Weight loss is all about calories. With all that fat, one better be counting calories considering fat has 9 calories per gram.

Turns out she was counting macros all along, so counting calorie subgroups, which of course is indirectly counting calories, calories of course which have everything to do with the keto diet working (and not), and how that counting of macros actually functions, and how the coffee fits in to it all, which all vindicates cerise's post and renders the response a little nonsensical.

What a helluva post to flag.

This is why direct, honest discussion wins. It benefits from being argued with and having light shone on it.

I think you can report the flags to the moderators and have them removed.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

Weight loss is all about calories. With all that fat, one better be counting calories considering fat has 9 calories per gram.

Turns out she was counting macros all along, so counting calorie subgroups, which of course is indirectly counting calories, calories of course which have everything to do with the keto diet working (and not), and how that counting of macros actually functions, and how the coffee fits in to it all, which all vindicates cerise's post and renders the response a little nonsensical.

What a helluva post to flag.

This is why direct, honest discussion wins. It benefits from being argued with and having light shone on it.

I think you can report the flags to the moderators and have them removed.

Thanks!
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    phrobbert wrote: »
    Coffee is awful and wrong and was actually considered satanic until a pope got hooked on it. All downhill from there IMO! ;-)

<GIANT EYE ROLL>

Funny. I was actually considered satanic until I got hooked on coffee. Go figure.

LOL me too. I have to laugh at some of the comments I read on the internet. Too funny.

Seriously though: Blessed beans: How the pope baptized coffee
  • cansel
    cansel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Omazed wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been looking into the benefits of Bulletproof coffee and I am hearing some really positve things on it. Has anyone tried it.

I like it, I do not make it every morning, but at least 3 times a week I have it first thing. There are a variety of ways to make it. I use MCT oil, Kerry Gold unsalted butter, 16 oz of good coffee, and collagen powder (that's for my skin and nails - not necessary). The main key is it has to be mixed either in a blender or with a immersion blender. If it isn't mixed well, it is nasty.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That stuff is potentially deadly. High in saturated fat and depending on your genetics, can raise your LDL(bad) cholesterol.

Bob Harper(biggest loser trainer) said on a Rachel Ray episode last year, that he drinks bulletproof coffee (with coconut oil and ghee/butter)every single morning before his workout. He was also on the paleo diet....He got a massive heart attack about a month ago. He's lucky to be alive.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Of course counting macros is an indirect way of counting calories. And no, I don't flag posts, ever. That's just silly and childish to flag for disagreement. Ugh.

Over the years, there have been many who suggest that calories do not matter in a keto/low carb lifestyle (only counting carbs matter, they've exclaimed) even though they do from a scientific standpoint. Just making sure. Not for the OPs sake alone, but for lurkers and newbies. Yes, I used to be both LC and keto for many months at a time because I thought I had to when I was a noob at weight loss.

Yep. Even if somebody's using different language to say some of the same things (so; practically useful but confusing, misleading to anyone coming from a different context), it's important to tackle it directly and get down to what the facts are, in both commonalities and differences of positions. So we can be really clear about what's true, what's not, what we're unsure about or really disagree about, and not have to obfuscate/hide behind any of it.

And shying away from that clarity, or pursuit of clarity, is toxic. Healthy common ground = embracing open and direct discussion. What would be unhealthy and harmful common ground if you got your way = assuming that you're entitled to support and positivity for whatever claims you happen to spout.

Absolutely! Glad we cleared that up. :)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That stuff is potentially deadly. High in saturated fat and depending on your genetics, can raise your LDL(bad) cholesterol.

Bob Harper(biggest loser trainer) said on a Rachel Ray episode last year, that he drinks bulletproof coffee (with coconut oil and ghee/butter)every single morning before his workout. He was also on the paleo diet....He got a massive heart attack about a month ago. He's lucky to be alive.

Considering the fact that he was in the middle of a gym workout when his heart attack hit must mean that exercise is also potentially deadly. Bob's mother died of a heart attack. He may be genetically predisposed to heart disease and in some cases you are just going to inherit what runs in your family. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of saturated fat. Saturated fat is necessary. You cannot take what happened to one person and apply it to everyone. My 80 year old grandmother has always drank a lot of whole milk and ate plenty of butter. She has never had any type of heart trouble what so ever.
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love my bulletproof coffee. I put coconut oil in instead of butter, because it is really good for your brain. God knows mine needs all the help it can get. I also use a stick blender, then it looks just like a latte. :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

Dietary cholesterol has little affect on serum cholesterol.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Hate to tell you but carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. Repeating "I'm doing keto" a million times every day will not change this.

I would suggest tracking everything you put in you mouth, including your bulletproof mocha if you want to achieve your weight loss goals.

I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.

Eating low carb will mean your body drops a lot of water. It's not fat.

Really? I did low carb years ago and lost 50 lbs. how can that be a water? Lol

Initially.

So initially 50 lbs is not technically any fat loss? Is that what you are saying? I know a lot of people who lost weight on low carb & that is now their lifestyle. They lost a lot of weight.

Your initial large loss is predominantly water.

Either way, I lost 6 lbs in 3 days. I'll take it

And that was what people were talking about when they said initial loss is mostly water, before you switched the terms by suddenly talking about a 50 lb loss years ago. BTW, did you stop short of your goals with that 50 lb loss, or did you regain it? If you regained it, was it despite being low carb, or was it because you found low card unsustainable?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste 100 cals on a coffee unless it's a Starbucks treat, and those claiming to be doing alright because they lost 6lbs... come back in two months when you ate a loaf of bread and "gained" 4 back overnight lol. Learn about weight loss please, do yourself a favour
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    phrobbert wrote: »
    I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.

The first time I went on a keto diet I did the exact same thing. And yes, I did lose a fair amount of weight. However after a while I plateaued which is probably because my weight dropped to the point where my maintenance calories coincided with what I was eating. Since going back on keto I've been careful to go with a daily deficit and I've seen a much more consistent weight loss.

And so when I see my weight loss stalking then I can reduce my deficit. Good advice. Thanks

I'm glad you're trying to understand.

Low carb is not magic and it doesn't work for the reasons you think it does. But, it works for you and that's ok. But, just understand that all you are doing is eating less food than your body requires. Typically, the reason for this is that carbs carry a lot of calories. Many of them are empty, nutritionally speaking. Proteins and fats are heavy, and have less calories. So, you can eat more volume of food, and keep full longer.

When I tried keto, I was amazed that I could only fit about 1400 calories into my belly. At that time, I usually ate around 2500 to 3,000 on a non-keto diet.

I stopped because I felt it was unnecessarily restrictive.

I am trying to understand yes but I am also going to continue Keto until it doesn't suit me anymore. Then I will have to find something else that works. I've never had luck with weight watchers (where you count points and can eat practically anything). I notice when I eat carbs i become addicted so for me, personally, low carb is a good way. I don't need unhealthy carbs and I am still getting some carbs with Keto. I appreciate all of your input but I just didn't come here to be attacked or argued with. Someone asked if I've tried bulletproof coffee and I provided feedback yes. Then it turned into this lol. I'm doing Keto. I wish you all the best with whatever you are doing as well. Peace.

I don't think anybody has been telling you not to do keto. They're just trying to clarify (more for the benefit of lurkers than for you, I suspect), that there's nothing magic about keto that negates the need to consume fewer calories than your body uses if you want to lose weight. Regardless of whether people count calories or not, their bodies do.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Hate to tell you but carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. Repeating "I'm doing keto" a million times every day will not change this.

I would suggest tracking everything you put in you mouth, including your bulletproof mocha if you want to achieve your weight loss goals.

You do realize, that since you just started keto, the 6lbs is water weight, right? I lost 13lbs in 1.5 weeks and it was mostly water weight. There is no way you created a 3000 calorie daily deficit.

Hi you should read the thread first, this has already been discussed. Have a great day

What is the point of being rude when someone points something out that is different than you want it to be?
    This reminds me of a conversation where I was recently attacked when I pointed out to someone that they were breaking the law. You dont change facts by attacking the messenger.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »

It depends on your genetics. For most people this is true, but for a portion of people their bodies digest dietary cholesterol differently. I'm currently on a dietary trial to figure out what the cause of my high cholesterol is.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Considering the fact that he was in the middle of a gym workout when his heart attack hit must mean that exercise is also potentially deadly. Bob's mother died of a heart attack. He may be genetically predisposed to heart disease and in some cases you are just going to inherit what runs in your family. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of saturated fat. Saturated fat is necessary. You cannot take what happened to one person and apply it to everyone. My 80 year old grandmother has always drank a lot of whole milk and ate plenty of butter. She has never had any type of heart trouble what so ever.

Saturated fat is not essential.
  • Traveler120
    Options
    fascha wrote: »

Read again. I didn't say dietary cholesterol. It's dietary saturated fat that raises cholesterol (depending on one's genetics). I have that tendency as well and when I lowerered saturated fat, my cholesterol went down nearly 100 points and my weight was only 10 lbs different.

Even Bob Harper himself had previously done a short vegan stint back in 2010-ish, for a year or so and he said his cholesterol went down 100 points ( due to less saturated fat typical in meats, butter, etc). This is a guy who's been fit forever so the culprit was his diet. He's been on paleo since then, and boom! His cholesterol must have shot up again. Maybe that's why he recently reported that his doctors have advised a switch to a meditterranean diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like BPC but the calories are pretty high. I drink a lot of coffee so I usually use coconut cream instead, or maybe add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil. If I did the real BPC recipe, I would be consuming hundreds of calories from just coffee.

If you are the type who likes to drink calories, and want more fat in your diet-and like coffee- then BPC may suit you.
  • Traveler120
    Options

Considering the fact that he was in the middle of a gym workout when his heart attack hit must mean that exercise is also potentially deadly. Bob's mother died of a heart attack. He may be genetically predisposed to heart disease and in some cases you are just going to inherit what runs in your family. That doesn't mean you should live in fear of saturated fat. Saturated fat is necessary.
    As the saying goes..."genetics loads the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger" Maybe years of slamming bulletproof coffee plus a paleo diet (naturally high in saturated fat) exacerbated his genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, and possibly contributed to his heart attack. Some people can handle a high saturated fat diet with no ill effects. Some can't.

And if saturated fat was so necessary and posed no problems, the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology would not be recommending to lower dietary saturated fat would they? And Bob's doctors wouldn't have advised him to change his diet following the heart attack.
    You cannot take what happened to one person and apply it to everyone. My 80 year old grandmother has always drank a lot of whole milk and ate plenty of butter. She has never had any type of heart trouble what so ever.
    So maybe take your own advice and not apply your grandmother's genetics to everyone? Which is why I said "depending on one's genetics".