April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Didn't get to check in but had a lovely run in glorious 12C, mostly sunny weather yesterday morning. Chose a route which took me straight along the seafront and with a very light breeze was just about perfect for running, though the sun brought everyone out so there was a bit of stop-starting and avoiding kids and dogs. Even better was my run was point-to-point ending up at a lovely pub for lunch. My calf was generally OK (about 90% I'd say). I probably did too much and it's a little tight today, but if I take it easy and only run alternate days I think should be fine by next week.

exercise.png
    2-Apr: 19.0k easy

Upcoming Races:
    14-May-2017: Bexhill Starfish Marathon (DNS)
    9-Jul-2017: Southend Half Marathon (Possible)
    12-Aug-2017: Hadleigh Castle 10K - Hill trail race (Possible*)
    16-Sep-2017: Kew Gardens 10K (Possible)
    24-Sep-2017: Windsor Half Marathon (Possible*)
    29-Oct-2017: Thurrock 10k (Possible)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk - You've had great advice so far! My only advice is going to echo @Stoshew71 in that you should skip those online cookie cutter half marathon training programs, and anything else that has you doing speedwork within the first 12 or so weeks. Instead just focus on running slow and easy. Monitor how hard you are breathing and keep it in a range where you are comfortable and can chat while running. Slowly build up your mileage at a comfortable rate. Spend the first 12 weeks getting that base mileage up before trying anything different. The more days per week you run, the better. Do give yourself rest days and down weeks, these are critical.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    April goal: Stay healthy, get my runs in and increase my long run distance
    Nominal mileage goal: 191 miles

4/1- 15.23
    4/2- 3.14
    4/3- 7.07

Total: 25.44

Today's notes: 7 pretty uneventful miles. I ran the loop around (literally around) town twice, and added a little at the beginning and end to get the 7 I needed. Decently even splits, with the extreme spread at 16 seconds, and an average pace of 9:40 for the run. Nice surprise was that my Average HR was 155, which is in the zone I want, so with the pace and HR, combines, I'm pretty pleased with the run.

On a side note, after 3 days, my monthly mileage is already almost half of what I ran last month....It's great being healthy again.

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/??- TBD HM or Full????
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    First run of the month done after a couple of days off.

03 - 13.37

Total: 13.37 / 175 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Hi all :smile:
    I am totally new to running (and exercise in general

Welcome! This is a great place for new runners. There a lot of folks with a ton of experience on here who can help you with any questions you might have.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Just getting started so I'll make my goal 25 miles ☺️

Great goal. Welcome to the group!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 4 miles on the dreadmill + cross-training - zumba
    4/2 - 12.7 mile long run (night on a crappy couch-worth of sleep, and stomachache from a new gel)

April Total: 16.7/170

363.7 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

First of all, thanks for all the well wishes on registering for my first marathon! I'd been planning on this one for a while, but it's so much more real once you actually register!!!

So, the one good thing about yesterday's long run was the weather. About 50°F, sunny, light breeze, just beautiful. I ran my Nyack Beach State Park to Haverstraw Trail route, that goes right along the Hudson River, with some rolling, and a couple steeper, hills, and it was gorgeous.

Other than that, this run was a suckfest, lol (embrace the suck, amiright?). I had an old-school sleepover the night before with one of my oldest and best girlfriends. I don't drink anymore so I wasn't hungover or anything, but we were up til at least 1am and I 'slept' (I use that term lightly) on a couch that is definitely feeling it's age, and therefore made me feel my age. Ugh. I also am incapable of taking it easy in my Saturday morning zumba class (I refuse to, I just love that class too much) and now that my schedule has a 5th day of running, which is also Saturday, I think it's beating up my legs a bit too much the day before my long run. I'm contemplating moving that 5th running day, but might give this another week or 2 to see if I adjust. Lastly, I had a new-to-me gel to try on my run. I popped the first one around 4.5 miles into my run, and within the next mile or 2 I had a decently bad stomachache that lasted me for the remainder of my miles :s So, this run was supposed to be 13 miles. I knew that based on where I had turned around I would need to run .3 miles past my car to get to that number. By the time I saw my car I said *kitten* this, 12.7 is freaking close enough, and threw in the towel, lol.

I view the value of this kind of run as mental grit training :D Like, if I can run on little sleep, on dead legs, with at least 6 miles-worth of a stomachache, then I can do anything! Lmao

Oh, and a big WELCOME to all the new members this month!!! You've stumbled upon a truly awesome group here!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KatieJane83 good job making it through the run. Those Embrace the Suck runs are the ones that build mental toughness, even if it doesn't feel like it all the time!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Only 2.5 today. Was not sure on how ATL traffic was going to be with a major freeway shut down, so I had to cut it short today.

exercise.png
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well I got 4 miles in on 4/1. Yesterday was a rest day for me. Today is Orangetheory, and tomorrow I will get in another run.

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I ran 4.5 miles on Saturday (hills) and then I had planned to run yesterday but never happened. This is the second Sunday in a row I have been overwhelming tired. Like walking around and all I'm dying to just LIE DOWN. It's crazy. So I decided to nap and then I'd run after a nap. Couldn't sleep. Then there was a soft rain that was begging me to go out and do a "rain run". But again, I'd get up and just feel so sluggish. In the end I managed 15 mins of very light cardio and 10 mins of leg exercises but even that was enough to convince that I would've been miserable running, so it was for the best. I'm not even scheduled to run on Sundays but was trying to make up for Friday when my foot hurt.

@7lenny7 That is one mean looking snapping turtle!!!! Yikes!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Another good run today although my left ankle had a slight discomfort that would come on, then go away at a few points on the run. I think it's fine, but that bugged the crap out of me wondering if I should stop or not.

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles

18 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png