Hard boiled eggs

Grnhouse
Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
I want to know if eating a hard boiled egg w/yoke each day for breakfast is good or bad? I’m looking to lose 5lbs and I’m trying to change my eating habits and pre-plan quick things I can take with me on the go. Thanks.

Replies

• Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    You eat 2 or 3 HB eggs a day? Does that impact your cholesterol?
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    You eat 2 or 3 HB eggs a day? Does that impact your cholesterol?

Do you have a medical reason to be low cholesterol?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Don't know if it's good or bad but hard boiled is how I usually eat eggs most of the time now because it's the most convenient way to prepared them.

I just boil a pack of 18 at one time and put them in a bowl of water in the frig abd pull out and peel as many as I want to eat at a time.

A boel will last me a week or two. Eat them plain or added to ramen or salads.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Eating a hard boiled egg as you described is good for you :) It's a win/win. I read somewhere that people eating an egg in the morning reduced their calorie intake by 400/day on average.

The jury's switched to saying egg yolks aren't bad for cholesterol (moderation in everything though).

I found I would gravitate to an additional egg white over a yolk just because of the extra few calories, but that's just a detail.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Eating a hard boiled egg as you described is good for you :) It's a win/win. I read somewhere that people eating an egg in the morning reduced their calorie intake by 400/day on average.

The jury's switched to saying egg yolks aren't bad for cholesterol (moderation in everything though).

I found I would gravitate to an additional egg white over a yolk just because of the extra few calories, but that's just a detail.

I just eat the whole egg, lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I have some fruit and yoghurt before the gym and then two boiled eggs after.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I'm not the biggest egg fan but do like to have a quick breakfast to take on the go. I'll cook a chicken breast and take 2-3 ounces plus a sliced apple with me out the door...maybe a string cheese too depending on how hungry I am!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    One egg is never enough for me. I'll eat at least two every morning.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    I eat two whole hard boiled eggs and four whites every morning, with hot sauce. It keeps me full all morning and gets a good start on getting my protein for the day.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    I eat at least one boiled egg every morning, for breakfast. Sometimes 2 eggs.
    My cholesterol is just fine.
    I cooked the egg for 3 minutes, after water starts boiling. It is almost like as " over easy". whites are solid and the yolk edges but not 100%.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    suruda wrote: »
    Hard boiled eggs have a certain smell to them....so unpleasant! :wink:

That's the odor sulfur in the egg yolk that gives the yolks a green tinge if not cooked properly.

I use the Jacque Pepin method: pick the fat end of the eggvw/a push pin, boil at a low level for 10 mins and put in a ice bath for 15 mins. Precrack the eggs but do not peel them and place in a bowl of water in the frig for use as needed.

The eggs will still give off a sulfur smell and discolor the water if you keep them in the frig for more than a few days. All you have to do is change the water as needed. The eggs keep for a couple of weeks this way. Just don't peel them or the egg whites will start to disintegrate in the water.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I eat at least one boiled egg every morning, for breakfast. Sometimes 2 eggs.
    My cholesterol is just fine.
    I cooked the egg for 3 minutes, after water starts boiling. It is almost like as " over easy". whites are solid and the yolk edges but not 100%.

Too soft for me!!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Cooking/Egg-Cookers/EC1300-Poach-and-Boil.aspx

I bought one of these. Best thing ever. I get perfect eggs every time, never under or overcooked.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Cholesterol & eggs? When they discovered that cholesterol in the blood stream was connected to heart disease, they immediately told everyone to stop eating anything with cholesterol. I think they assumed that cholesterol in the diet had a direct connection to cholesterol in the blood. That assumption was considered fact for a few decades. Research has proven that dietary cholesterol & blood cholesterol are not connected. Just google "dietary cholesterol" and you'll see medical article after medical article stating this.