Not losing on 1600 calories/day

Options
124»

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your foods? are you using cups and spoons or a food scale? because it's very easy to eat more than you think if you're not using a food scale.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Our stats are similar, I have a sneaky suspicion your body is busy changing composition. You said you "also take measurements and photos", how do those look? (sorry if I missed any comments) clothes fitting?

Since your water intake is low I bet you have water weight AND you are losing fat and gaining muscle. I've gone as long as 8 weeks without the scale moving and then it reads 6 lbs down.

Honestly, 1600 doesn't seem unhealthy but it is a bit low and might be stressing out your body. If you think you are stalled, it is probably easy enough to fix. Do 1-2 days at maintenance cals.

Also, your Dr. probably weighed you too but just in case, check your scale accuracy (batteries? calibration?).
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your foods? are you using cups and spoons or a food scale? because it's very easy to eat more than you think if you're not using a food scale.

Food scale 100%.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    brznhabits wrote: »
    Our stats are similar, I have a sneaky suspicion your body is busy changing composition. You said you "also take measurements and photos", how do those look? (sorry if I missed any comments) clothes fitting?

Since your water intake is low I bet you have water weight AND you are losing fat and gaining muscle. I've gone as long as 8 weeks without the scale moving and then it reads 6 lbs down.

Honestly, 1600 doesn't seem unhealthy but it is a bit low and might be stressing out your body. If you think you are stalled, it is probably easy enough to fix. Do 1-2 days at maintenance cals.

Also, your Dr. probably weighed you too but just in case, check your scale accuracy (batteries? calibration?).

Thank you! My measurements are the same. My photos show a little difference (which is weird since the measurements are the same, LOL). But I could also just be imagining things.

I'm going to work on upping my water intake, and I think I'm going to try upping my calories a little. I remember in the past stalling out and then "giving up" and eating like a whole pizza and then I would wake up and 5 pounds would be gone. Not the kind of pattern I want to get into, but maybe my body is looking for more food.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    HI.. I am having the same issue as you.
    One of the things that I would suggest is to exercise more.
    I get that you are eating at 1600 but what about burning at 1600kcal, or 1700 or 1800?

My stats aren't quite at the OPs, but close enough, and I don't burn 1600 calories running a half marathon. And you're suggesting she burn that much every day?

OP, I agree with what you're being told, which is to wait and see. It is very possible to have some water retention masking loss. I know you're anxious about this trip, but keep steady, take a rest day every now and then, and reassess when you get back from your trip.

That's daily burn being referenced - not in exercise only.
    Exercise included.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If you're truly measuring all solids and liquids on a food scale, and you're not having any binge days, something sounds seriously wrong.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP - if you're still drinking those protein shakes, maybe check with the supplier that they've not been re-formulated to include more calories?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Checking your urine for ketones is a simple test that can show if you are burning fat. You should be able to get urine test strips at the drugstore or from Amazon. Here is an article from a diabetic web site. Read it from the point of view of learning about fat metabolism and why the body manufactures ketones. Good Luck.. https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/managing-diabetes/blood-glucose-management/getting-to-know-ketones/
    You burn fat whether one is low carbing or not. If one is in calorie deficit, fat loss will occur.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Did you find an answer to your question?
  • Allegi32
    Options
    I just wanted to give people a little update:

I decided to try a different kind of system so I'm following a clean eating portion control plan that uses containers to track food instead of weighing/measuring calories, etc. It puts me in a range of 1800-2099 calories so I'm not eating the exact same amount every day. I actually feel a lot better and finally broke my plateau.

Ironic that not being as precise is actually helping me! I really like that I am eating healthier but I'm not struggling as much, and whatever macros ratio they have built into the program, my body really likes!

Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MaineMom76 wrote: »
    I just wanted to give people a little update:

I decided to try a different kind of system so I'm following a clean eating portion control plan that uses containers to track food instead of weighing/measuring calories, etc. It puts me in a range of 1800-2099 calories so I'm not eating the exact same amount every day. I actually feel a lot better and finally broke my plateau.

Ironic that not being as precise is actually helping me! I really like that I am eating healthier but I'm not struggling as much, and whatever macros ratio they have built into the program, my body really likes!

Thanks!

IMO you were just retaining water. 'over a month' really isn't much of a plateau. You would have lost if you had stuck to your diet too.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary please?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're now doing 21 Day Fix or a knockoff version? Be careful. I tested the containers before and they had me eating 900 calories when I weighed out my food instead of the 1200 to 1400 allowance I was given. Also, weight loss is not instantaneous so, like others have said, you were probably retaining water and would have lost either way.
  • emmybirt
    emmybirt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    More water is definitely in order. And make sure you're getting enough quality sleep. Both of those can affect weight loss.
  • joaomelo1973
    joaomelo1973 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Water intake CRUCIAL....Sleep too...Exercise of course.
    I´ve lost 39lbs (18 Kgs) in 3 months.... (Was 120.5 Kgs...now 102.5Kgs - 225lbs)
    I always force myself to take at least 2 lts of water (minimum) everiday.

Calorie...about 1600 day ...try to maximize protein intake, goob carbs (veggies) and good fats (almonds, almond milk, Coconut oil, olive oil, etc)

My nutricionist recommended me adding L-Carnitine 3.000mg to 1.5 lts of water and drinking trouhout the day (best in the morning).
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There could be other variables: lack of sleep, high stress, sleep apnea, or hormonal issues to address, but let's see what happens in a week.

Sleep apnea messes up your weight loss even if you're counting calories? I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea. The doctor thinks so, I'm getting tested in a couple weeks.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    There could be other variables: lack of sleep, high stress, sleep apnea, or hormonal issues to address, but let's see what happens in a week.

Sleep apnea messes up your weight loss even if you're counting calories? I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea. The doctor thinks so, I'm getting tested in a couple weeks.

It certainly doesn't help! But it didn't stop my weight loss and in fact it goes away for most after losing weight. For me it was about 20 ish lbs.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    MaineMom76 wrote: »
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    @MaineMom76 can you please open your food journal? I check it a little while ago and it appears to be closed.

I tend to keep it closed because last time I had it open everyone had an opinion and it got pretty nasty.

I am sorry people are nasty to you. But when I am able to look for food journals, I can see trends that may help me pinpoint what is going on.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »

Lack of sleep can increase stress hormones which may cause over eating. If you are eating a calorie deficit but not getting enough sleep you will still lose weight, even if you feel sluggish and like you lack energy.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Please forgive me if someone has already said this... too many posts to read them all but if you initially lost 4 pounds and now are not losing it could be that it was in fact water as you said and now the water has been replaced and it's fat loss. Be patient. I do see that with your deficit it should be faster but frankly as we get older weight loss slows. I'm on 1200 calories and I do occasionally eat back 100 of my exercise calories and I'm losing about a quarter pound a week. I'm also 60 years old. Also take into consideration that you could have excess weight in your colon. Sorry TMI, but when we change our diet sometimes things don't move the same especially if you are eating smaller quantities. If you are consistently eating 1600 calories you will eventually see things drop. Definately up the water because that is what makes excess water come off strangely enough. I have lost 76 pounds and also have a damaged thyroid so I agree with you it can be done. It will come off it just might not be as fast as you would like. Hang in there I understand how frustrating this can be.