Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Quit smoking or not when starting to lose weight.

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    Worthy of note...I quit smoking on Feb. 19th. I've noticed a huge change in my muscle tone and overall strength gains. I feel stronger and better every time I lift. Just saying...that is one positive benefit.

Precisely why I quit. Them deadlift PRs don't pull themselves, and you'll not pull them either if your body isn't getting sufficient oxygen.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I agree with the quit smoking first, start logging at maintenance to be aware of what you are eating, and move to a deficit when you are ready. You will feel so much better about yourself, and the food you can eat will taste better when you do start to log a deficit.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Do both, but keep a log and identify all the bad habits and behaviors that you associate with smoking and overeating. One by one replace each bad habit with a good habit that reinforces good health. Never tackle more than two habits at one time. Best to stick to one.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 10 years ago. After 50 years of using. I started following The South Beach Diet to make sure I didn't gain weight. I tried Atkins and gained. I started walking everyday up and down hills. I watched every bite/sip that went into my mouth and I gained 30 lbs in 3 months and after 10 years, I'm still trying to get rid of the last 10.
    I was never overweight in my life until I quit. The Dr. suggested Weight Watchers. I counted every point religiously. And I still did not lose. Then she put me on thyroid meds. Still no loss.
    For some of us, our metabolism crashes when we quit smoking. It is not always a lack of control over food/drink. It is not always inactivity. It just happens.
    My suggestion is to quit smoking as soon as possible. Unless you need to lose weight for a medical reason. But, do not feel that you are doing something wrong if you gain weight. I felt guilty for years when I could not get rid of the weight no matter what I did. I would hate for anyone else to feel the way I did (like a total loser), because people say that everyone who gains weight does it from hand to mouth disease.

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Obviously do what's best for you.. But I used to use the excuse - only tackle one thing at a time. Only fight one fight at a time. Not with smoking, but with other life events happening. There is never a "good" time to start losing weight. There is never a "good" time to quit smoking. If you've made it to this point in your journey, give yourself enough credit that you are strong enough to do it. I've learned I'm a "pull the band aid off" type of person.

There's never a good time or fight one fight - become road blocks and excuses that keep pushing your progress back.

Commit to your good health.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    TGooo7 wrote: »
    I quit smoking Dec 6th and i gave my body a month to get over withdrawals before I started exercising and clean eating. I have lost 15 lbs since January 3rd and I am so glad to be free of the addiction to tobacco.
    GREAT JOB!!!

• FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did both at the same time 7 years ago and it was the best thing to do. Quitting smoking can affect so much your mood and you also trigger some nasty cravings... training helped me completely control them and deal with the frustration over quitting - it was basically my way of compensating. As a results, I melted in no time and kept the weigh off until my recent pregnancy (I was able to lose it all by training again).

Good luck!
  • cmwill2011
    cmwill2011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 years ago and started gaining weight. I started vaping but I never picked up another cigarette. Now, I've decided that I needed to drop the weight I gained. I only gained weight because of my husband. He eats a lot of calories but works out everyday while I did not.
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I got into a habit of exercising as some penance for smoking. I had 20+ years of to/start In 2006 I flipped it, wanting to do a 12 k fun run, and the run was the reward for not smoking. The running endorphins were an unexpected nicotine replacement.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    It is NOT a myth. I gained when I quit. The reason some people gain is because the need to keep the mouth busy. Not everyone goes through this, some people do. It is best to have something ready just in case this is you. I liked different flavored hot teas, cinnamon gum, mints and things like that. Once I gained the initial "quit weight" because I just couldn't stop eating I had about a 2 month period of trying to get it under control. I just needed something to take the place of the cigarettes. We did not come from a cookie cutter. It is not the same for all of us. That being said here I am 12 years later and still not smoking.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The key is to to replace a bad habit with a good habit. Our brains are wired towards habit and stopping one activity without providing a new course invites disaster. You just need to identify an activity that you can sustain long term.
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I battled with this one trying to do both - don't put yourself through it it's horrendous! Eventually I went onto nicotine replacement therapy (patches and then lozenges) whilst dieting so I could manage both. I didn't gain any extra weight and have been smoke free for 2 years now! It's tempting to lose weight first but you'll feel better and fitter for quitting smoking first
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking. You can do it. There are plenty of tools to help. If one fails try another. Do not give up.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was just in the same boat as you less than a year ago. But the answer is to quit smoking and start living a healthy lifestyle, I didn't gain any weight when i quit. It motivated me to push myself. You can do it!
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    Obviously do what's best for you.. But I used to use the excuse - only tackle one thing at a time. Only fight one fight at a time. Not with smoking, but with other life events happening. There is never a "good" time to start losing weight. There is never a "good" time to quit smoking. If you've made it to this point in your journey, give yourself enough credit that you are strong enough to do it. I've learned I'm a "pull the band aid off" type of person.

There's never a good time or fight one fight - become road blocks and excuses that keep pushing your progress back.

Commit to your good health.
    That was great advice Britt...
    To OP..Dont get frustrated and give up because you think your doing to many things at once.
    And dont forget better to be a few lbs heavier during the quit,than to have lung cancer.

• ckett10
    ckett10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It was easier for me to quit smoking while losing weight and exercising. I am now a quitter for three months. Have a craving, go for a walk or any other form of exercise. It works!