April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I ran 3.5 miles yesterday, so I'm up to 9 miles for the month so far. My ticker might not be up to date, as I keep having issues with it! I don't think there will be any running or Orangetheory today because my dog is at the vet, and had us up all night. :( Hoping he's ok!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I should really learn from you about sleep. I probably average 6.5 hours per night. If I were honest with myself I'd realize that my running would benefit more from getting more sleep than from getting more miles, but that's likely not going to happen.
    Of course, 8 hours is an average for people. Some need more than that, some need less. Most need right around 8 though. I actually do my best when I get around 8.5 to 9 hours sleep (part of why I go to bed so early). Considering your mileage and how long you've been maintaining that mileage, I would almost suspect that you might not need 8 hours. Your body will let you know if you are overtraining by doing too much with too little sleep (and I don't mean just feeling tired). I suspect you would have already had something come up by now. But being careful can't hurt either. :smile:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oh, so we're talking about sleep.... I got 4 hours last night. Beat that! I'm actually beginning to consider buying a bed and finally setting up our spare bedroom. So I have another bed to retreat to. But geez, I really don't want to be the 35 year old who sleeps in a separate room from her husband..... :(

@7lenny7 Gorgeous pics as usual :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Of course, 8 hours is an average for people. Some need more than that, some need less. Most need right around 8 though. I actually do my best when I get around 8.5 to 9 hours sleep (part of why I go to bed so early). Considering your mileage and how long you've been maintaining that mileage, I would almost suspect that you might not need 8 hours. Your body will let you know if you are overtraining by doing too much with too little sleep (and I don't mean just feeling tired). I suspect you would have already had something come up by now. But being careful can't hurt either. :smile:

@WhatMeRunning what I think I really need is a 26 hour day. I've often wondered what my daily cycle would be if I could eliminate the sun and the clock. My guess if left to my own internal signals, my natural day would be 26 to 28 hours.

@greenolivetree There was a recent article that came out that said 1 in 4 married couples sleep separately and many credit it with saving their marriage. So not so unusual, really. Before I got a CPAP for my sleep apnea years ago my wife would often get out of our bed to sleep in the guest bedroom because of my noisy sleep.

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk So happy to see you here!!!

I've taken a few days off from an sore Achilles Tendon! Hoping to do a short run tomorrow!!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.7 miles in sunny San Diego
    4/2 - Travel day
    4/3 - Rest day
    4/4 - 5 comfortable miles.
    4/5 - 4.4 miles.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @angmarie28 - FWIW I will agree with @garygse and @9voice9, try running without food first. Even 4+ years in, I find eating before running makes me feel worse. I have to wait 2-3 hours after I eat. I have run all my races (including half marathons) this way with no problems. I don't even take in water unless it is really hot.
    @Stoshew71 - killin' it with the science! Love it!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi
    4/3 - 3.6 mi.
    4/4 - rest
    4/5 - 6.0 mi.

April goal: 20.6/100 miles
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 4 miles on the dreadmill + cross-training - zumba
    4/2 - 12.7 mile long run (night on a crappy couch-worth of sleep, and stomachache from a new gel)
    4/3 - rest
    4/4 - 9 mile glorious run in the misty rain / 1 mile treadmill + cross-training - strength training
    4/5 - 5 mile slow recovery run + cross-training - strength training

April Total: 31.7/170

378.7 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Today was just a tired, slow 5 mile recovery run. As predicted, I was really feeling the lack of sleep last night, lol. Got another big smile and huge thumbs up from the bus driver on my route though, added a little pep to my step. Hopefully some lifting after work tonight, and then I'm eating ALL of the sushi. Noms
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks for the article :p Maybe we'll get past this. He's not an all the time chronic snorer. But after all his sickness and surgery and traveling, we then dealt with weeks of post-op insane nightmares, then downgraded to excessive sleep-talking, but last night was just doggone snoring! As for tonight, I'm going with Benadryl. :sleeping:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---4.48
    3---3.05
    5---2.85 walk

10.38/30

RACES!!!

XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run (HM at night) May 27 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)