Anyone else trying to lose fat & build muscle-

Options
rahimlj
rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
Currently trying to drop weight & build muscle at the same time.

Replies

• kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You are going to be facing a substantially difficult task that is also time consuming. Bulking typically needs a caloric surplus so you are going to put on fat as well as muscle. You could try to keep the surplus lower to avoid too much fat gain, but it is inevitable. You need a deficit to lose weight, but you can preserve muscle while cutting by working in strength training. You are better to do one and then the other; they are not exactly conflicting, but not really meant to do together.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think you will need to lose the fat first. You can still lift to preserve muscle and possibly tone a bit I don't think it possible to get bulk on a deficit.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I've done it.

Go to my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintenance subforum for details.

Just don't expect miracles or immediate results.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    You are going to be facing a substantially difficult task that is also time consuming. Bulking typically needs a caloric surplus so you are going to put on fat as well as muscle. You could try to keep the surplus lower to avoid too much fat gain, but it is inevitable. You need a deficit to lose weight, but you can preserve muscle while cutting by working in strength training. You are better to do one and then the other; they are not exactly conflicting, but not really meant to do together.

- Yea i guess thats true. l know its better to like cut. ive been at a defecit at times but like for these last few days most days i have been. im trying to gain a bit of muscle while still on a caloric deficit. i lost some weight and noticed a bit of muscle growth very little a while back but then i ended up gaining again ! so yea i guess maybe i can just do more cardio & try to cut more fat and then when i get smaller then build muscle.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think you will need to lose the fat first. You can still lift to preserve muscle and possibly tone a bit I don't think it possible to get bulk on a deficit.

- Im not really trying to bulk. yea just pretty much trying to get toned right now. maybe yea add a bit of muscle but just getting toned and then getting a lot of fat off.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've done it.

Alright ill deff check it out thnx. how long were you doing it ? . .
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    rahimlj wrote: »

- Im not really trying to bulk. yea just pretty much trying to get toned right now. maybe yea add a bit of muscle but just getting toned and then getting a lot of fat off.

If this is your goal, then I would definitely say focus on losing weight, keeping a modest deficit, while at the same time following a progressive lifting program. This will help you maintain as much of your lean body mass as possible, so that as you lose the fat you'll see more of that 'toned' look you're looking for. Often, this can almost look like you have more muscle. You don't really, it's just that it's being revealed under the fat, and often this, I think, is what people are referring to when they talk about getting toned.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Me! Almost done with my cut
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read seems to agree if you're new you can do both for a little while.
    I believe the weight loss may be slower, but more of a transformation.
  • rahimlj
    Options

If this is your goal, then I would definitely say focus on losing weight, keeping a modest deficit, while at the same time following a progressive lifting program. This will help you maintain as much of your lean body mass as possible, so that as you lose the fat you'll see more of that 'toned' look you're looking for. Often, this can almost look like you have more muscle. You don't really, it's just that it's being revealed under the fat, and often this, I think, is what people are referring to when they talk about getting toned.

Yea i think i should do a bit more cardio today then i planned to do. Yea especially when you have lower body fat % it does show more. l used to be about 128 and pretty small but like this time i want to gain muscle i guess if i do get down to about 130 again i can start building muscle then and focus more now on losing fat and doing cardio & deff be in a caloric deficit. l ended up eating a lot of pizza yday which was stupid. there was a business seminar at school and networking session and i forgot to take food with me. So i ended up eating that.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    zilkah wrote: »

Thats great ! how long did it take you. l want to hopefully be shredded within a year. at least by summer hopefully drop about 30 lbs if that is even possible.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    Everything I have read seems to agree if you're new you can do both for a little while.
    I believe the weight loss may be slower, but more of a transformation.

l guess i should look at it that way. maybe im trying to rush things.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    @KatieJane83 tnx btw !
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me, bulk/cut cycles work best.. however come fall once I am satisfied with my composition I think I will move over to recomp (I am actually going to give it a proper shot for once!)
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Thats great ! how long did it take you. l want to hopefully be shredded within a year. at least by summer hopefully drop about 30 lbs if that is even possible.

Only a few months but I only had a few lb to lose :)
  • rahimlj
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me, bulk/cut cycles work best.. however come fall once I am satisfied with my composition I think I will move over to recomp (I am actually going to give it a proper shot for once!)

Thats actually a good idea. How long do you usually cut for. Thats good keep it up ! The grind dont stop haha.
  • rahimlj
    Options

Only a few months but I only had a few lb to lose :)

Ohh thats good. So you didnt really rush it. l guess it can be much healthier to do that. did you notice your abs and muscles showing more. haha must have.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've done it.

Alright ill deff check it out thnx. how long were you doing it ? . .

10 months. In maintenance for past 4 but still making progress.

All the details are in the other thread mentioned. Also additional info at the end of the monthly "Maintainers Weekly Check-in" threads for Feb & Mar (so far) in the Maintenance sub-forum. My posts are at the end of these threads because I only post monthly reports.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thats actually a good idea. How long do you usually cut for. Thats good keep it up ! The grind dont stop haha.

It varies.. but my guess will be a month or two. Thanks.. always going over here ;)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cardio pretty much doesn't matter, it will just give you a larger deficit or more to eat. Calories are what matter for fat loss.

How much weight do you have to lose? Recomping could very well be pointless at this point and it may be more beneficial to get the majority of the excess off first.