2»

Replies

• rahimlj
    rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    rahimlj wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me, bulk/cut cycles work best.. however come fall once I am satisfied with my composition I think I will move over to recomp (I am actually going to give it a proper shot for once!)

Thats actually a good idea. How long do you usually cut for. Thats good keep it up ! The grind dont stop haha.

It varies.. but my guess will be a month or two. Thanks.. always going over here ;)

Haha well thats good. welcome ; )
  • rahimlj
    Options
    Cardio pretty much doesn't matter, it will just give you a larger deficit or more to eat. Calories are what matter for fat loss.

How much weight do you have to lose? Recomping could very well be pointless at this point and it may be more beneficial to get the majority of the excess off first.

Well i want to get back to my old weight around 128 and last time i checked my weight like few weeks ago it was about 183. So id say minimum 45 and then after that maybe another 15. Hm i guess i dont have to do much cardio then. maybe just eat more healthy and continue weight training with little cardio.. ? ..
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Came to see all the "not possible" comments. I am actively losing body fat and building muscle - however I'm maintaining a 117 lb. figure. Eat at maintenance, lift heavy, train hard and eat well. You can do it. I suggest eating a lot of protein.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    Came to see all the "not possible" comments. I am actively losing body fat and building muscle - however I'm maintaining a 117 lb. figure. Eat at maintenance, lift heavy, train hard and eat well. You can do it. I suggest eating a lot of protein.

Haha. well thats good ! hmm gives me more motivation. Tnx ! ill increase my protein intake. especially today i dont think i got much in. How much have you lost ..
  • rahimlj
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've done it.

Go to my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintenance subforum for details.

Just don't expect miracles or immediate results.

Alright ill deff check it out thnx. how long were you doing it ? . .

10 months. In maintenance for past 4 but still making progress.

All the details are in the other thread mentioned. Also additional info at the end of the monthly "Maintainers Weekly Check-in" threads for Feb & Mar (so far) in the Maintenance sub-forum. My posts are at the end of these threads because I only post monthly reports.

Well thats really good. l actually checked it out ! Tnx for letting me know. So what is your goal ? i also saw that your sagging skin went away a bit right. Do a lot of people get that even if they are under 100 lbs overweight ? ..when they get small.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    zilkah wrote: »
    Me! Almost done with my cut

Thats great ! how long did it take you. l want to hopefully be shredded within a year. at least by summer hopefully drop about 30 lbs if that is even possible.

Only a few months but I only had a few lb to lose :)

Ohh thats good. So you didnt really rush it. l guess it can be much healthier to do that. did you notice your abs and muscles showing more. haha must have.

Definitely started to notice some definition especially in my stomach once I cut enough fat !!
  • rahimlj
    Options

Thats great ! how long did it take you. l want to hopefully be shredded within a year. at least by summer hopefully drop about 30 lbs if that is even possible.

Only a few months but I only had a few lb to lose :)

Ohh thats good. So you didnt really rush it. l guess it can be much healthier to do that. did you notice your abs and muscles showing more. haha must have.

Definitely started to notice some definition especially in my stomach once I cut enough fat !!

Thats sick. You probably were pretty happy haha. l want to one day at least get down to like 7 percent body fat maybe like for a couple days even lol. But like hopefully when i lose weight i can stay around 10 - 12 percent body fat. Do you do any exercises for your obliques.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I've done it.

Go to my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintenance subforum for details.

Just don't expect miracles or immediate results.

Alright ill deff check it out thnx. how long were you doing it ? . .

10 months. In maintenance for past 4 but still making progress.

All the details are in the other thread mentioned. Also additional info at the end of the monthly "Maintainers Weekly Check-in" threads for Feb & Mar (so far) in the Maintenance sub-forum. My posts are at the end of these threads because I only post monthly reports.

Well thats really good. l actually checked it out ! Tnx for letting me know. So what is your goal ? i also saw that your sagging skin went away a bit right. Do a lot of people get that even if they are under 100 lbs overweight ? ..when they get small.

Current goal is just to maintain weight w/in 5# (+/- 2.5) of 160# and BF at 10% (+/- 2%), which I think is a reasonable and realistic goal.

I believe that my "loose skin" is a product of weight loss and old age -- remember I'm 66. Don't think all of it will ever go away in what's left of my life time. Just hope it doesn't get much worse.

I have no answer to who will have a problem w/loose skin regardless of the amount of weight lost.

Many past and current threads on "loose skin" w/comments from much younger people who have lost much more weight and who have much greater problems with loose skin than I do. Genetics have a lot to do w/it but also how much weight and how long you a carried it has as a lot to do w/it too. Sometimes the only solution is surgery but that obviously should be the last resort.

It's very much a case by case situation.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

30lbs by summer? Sorry but no. That would be a massive deficit and people are almost always wrong on their estimates as to how much they have to lose unless they are going off of accurate body fat percentages.

Say we consider June to be summer. You have 2 months. The recommended is 1lb lost a week. 4lbs a month. At a deficit of 500 calories a day.

Extreme weight loss would be 2lbs a week at 8lbs a month, with a daily deficit of 1000.

You're looking to double that at a daily deficit of over 2000 calories on order to lose 30lbs by summer. You would quite literally be starving yourself.

Weight loss takes time. So buckle up and settle in for the long ride

• figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm just restarting my strength training, so I'm working on my strength while trying to lose about 10 pounds. I'm not trying to lose super fast, so so far I am seeing the results I want but I will be reassessing once I reach my first goal.
  • rahimlj
    Options

30lbs by summer? Sorry but no. That would be a massive deficit and people are almost always wrong on their estimates as to how much they have to lose unless they are going off of accurate body fat percentages.

Say we consider June to be summer. You have 2 months. The recommended is 1lb lost a week. 4lbs a month. At a deficit of 500 calories a day.

Extreme weight loss would be 2lbs a week at 8lbs a month, with a daily deficit of 1000.

You're looking to double that at a daily deficit of over 2000 calories on order to lose 30lbs by summer. You would quite literally be starving yourself.

[/quote]

l meant about july. hmm i thought even if i didnt have such a large defecit that if i ate really healthy it might come off fast. Someone else said they lost almost 3 in 3 months or so i think. l have tried 800 calories a day before and sometimes even less. That definitely wasnt good for me. Well a defecit of 2000 is just way too much for me and yea youre right i guess i would be starving myself.

Lol man. i guess its just hard because l just dont really feel comfortable in my body anymore. So i was thinking what if im able to lose 30 by summer but i guess youre right that probably wont happen.

• rahimlj
    Options
    I'm just restarting my strength training, so I'm working on my strength while trying to lose about 10 pounds. I'm not trying to lose super fast, so so far I am seeing the results I want but I will be reassessing once I reach my first goal.

Thats good ! have you tried body weight exercises ? like planks and stuff aswell to strengthen your core ? ..
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think you will need to lose the fat first. You can still lift to preserve muscle and possibly tone a bit I don't think it possible to get bulk on a deficit.

I'd have to agree here. At the very least, get to your goal weight or a hair below it, and/or lose the visible fat you want to lose first. It'll take 10x longer to lose the fat while in recomp, and it'll probably not go away much at all in a bulk. I went 5 lbs below my goal weight then slowly worked my way up to maintenance levels for recomp. The two months while working up slowly to my maintenance calories I managed to lose 5 more pounds so I ended up at maintenance 10lbs below my goal weight. I had a small layer of fat around the midsection left, and after over six months of recomp at or slightly above maintenance levels I still have that small layer of fat. It has gone nowhere. I have managed to build some muscle, probably at the rate I expected, but the fat.. it's there to stay until I decide to do a cut. I've gained about seven pounds doing this (but still a few pounds under my original goal weight) so I hope it's probably 80% muscle, but it's probably closer to 60% muscle. Hard to tell until I do a cut.

So decide what you want the most, the fat gone, or muscle added because one thing doesn't equal the other. My personal goal is to lose the last of the fat in m midsection this summer, I'm waiting on warmer weather then intend to do a 250cal/day deficit for as long as it takes. I'll keep protein high, and will still not be anywhere near going hungry (I'm 6'2" tall and work out 4-5 days a week for up to 90 minutes a day) so it won't be that hard, but until warmer weather sets in sometime in May I'm going to just keep on recomping.

Edit: You can lose fat and build muscle in a slight deficit unlike some will argue. If you have ample fat stores and you've been at it long enough for your body to get better (not perfect) at burning that fat for energy, you can build a little. It'll be super slow though, and it'll feel like you're spinning your wheels as far as strength gains. For the most part it's just not going to happen in a deficit, but that's not a reason to skip weight training while dieting.
  • rahimlj
    Options

I'd have to agree here. At the very least, get to your goal weight or a hair below it, and/or lose the visible fat you want to lose first. It'll take 10x longer to lose the fat while in recomp, and it'll probably not go away much at all in a bulk. I went 5 lbs below my goal weight then slowly worked my way up to maintenance levels for recomp. The two months while working up slowly to my maintenance calories I managed to lose 5 more pounds so I ended up at maintenance 10lbs below my goal weight. I had a small layer of fat around the midsection left, and after over six months of recomp at or slightly above maintenance levels I still have that small layer of fat. It has gone nowhere. I have managed to build some muscle, probably at the rate I expected, but the fat.. it's there to stay until I decide to do a cut. I've gained about seven pounds doing this (but still a few pounds under my original goal weight) so I hope it's probably 80% muscle, but it's probably closer to 60% muscle. Hard to tell until I do a cut.

So decide what you want the most, the fat gone, or muscle added because one thing doesn't equal the other. My personal goal is to lose the last of the fat in m midsection this summer, I'm waiting on warmer weather then intend to do a 250cal/day deficit for as long as it takes. I'll keep protein high, and will still not be anywhere near going hungry (I'm 6'2" tall and work out 4-5 days a week for up to 90 minutes a day) so it won't be that hard, but until warmer weather sets in sometime in May I'm going to just keep on recomping.

Edit: You can lose fat and build muscle in a slight deficit unlike some will argue. If you have ample fat stores and you've been at it long enough for your body to get better (not perfect) at burning that fat for energy, you can build a little. It'll be super slow though, and it'll feel like you're spinning your wheels as far as strength gains. For the most part it's just not going to happen in a deficit, but that's not a reason to skip weight training while dieting.[/quote]

Hmmm really. Man i dont want it to be that long. Oh really. Damn 6 months later. So me trying to lose weight so fast is really not possible. Oh truuue. What is like your goal for body fat % if you have one ? ..
    Well it seems like you are able to work out for a long period. l can at times but for me i dont feel like im consistent. 90 minuites even 4 days a week feels so long for me even though lf l was able to do that lt would be good.
    Kudos to you though lol.

Hmmm. l did weight training 2 days this week roughly. But eating less calories i def felt less energy but i did increase my cals a bit after reading what some people said on here. But yea deff i dont want to stop weight training thats def not an excuse to but i guess until i really get down to around my goal weight then i can really do a lot of weight training for a long period of time. Tnx everyone btw !
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

l meant about july. hmm i thought even if i didnt have such a large defecit that if i ate really healthy it might come off fast. Someone else said they lost almost 3 in 3 months or so i think. l have tried 800 calories a day before and sometimes even less. That definitely wasnt good for me. Well a defecit of 2000 is just way too much for me and yea youre right i guess i would be starving myself.

Lol man. i guess its just hard because l just dont really feel comfortable in my body anymore. So i was thinking what if im able to lose 30 by summer but i guess youre right that probably wont happen.

[/quote]

Sorry to say that what you eat has almost no effect on weight loss. It's all about how much you eat. There was a university professor that taught nutrition and as an experiment and proof to his students he went on a several month diet where all he ate was junk food. Chips, icecream, and candy. As he thought, as long as he maintained a deficit he still lost body fat at and equal rate to someone eating a more nutritionally dense diet while still in a deficit

• rahimlj
    Options
    What the heck ! are you serious. Thats insane. But i guess it is better to eat healthier but wow thats surprising that it doesnt effect your weight loss really.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Sorry to say that what you eat has almost no effect on weight loss. It's all about how much you eat. There was a university professor that taught nutrition and as an experiment and proof to his students he went on a several month diet where all he ate was junk food. Chips, icecream, and candy. As he thought, as long as he maintained a deficit he still lost body fat at and equal rate to someone eating a more nutritionally dense diet while still in a deficit

[/quote]

l guess he was able to actually enjoy a lot of his food haha & other people were having kale smoothies probably lol
  • Sharpiejasspring
    Sharpiejasspring Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have started a kettle bell training program, 3 times a week along with a low carb/high fat diet - refilling on carbs before and after training. I have lost 11lbs in 5 weeks so all going good for me.

I am also making sure all my food is 'real', as in nothing that it prepackaged and contains any preservatives ect. It is a lot easier to maintain than I thought it would be.
  • rahimlj
    Options
    I have started a kettle bell training program, 3 times a week along with a low carb/high fat diet - refilling on carbs before and after training. I have lost 11lbs in 5 weeks so all going good for me.

I am also making sure all my food is 'real', as in nothing that it prepackaged and contains any preservatives ect. It is a lot easier to maintain than I thought it would be.

- Thats good so i guess maybe your body is in ketosis possibly.. Thats good. l guess whole foods are way better. Too much crap in those packaged foods. -