Clean eating- does it matter?

Options
My view is yes. I eat a super clean diet Within my calorie range and I am losing more then a pound a week (even though I'm not overweight) I'm 5"8 and started at about 160 and now I'm at 138. It's been super easy and my skin and hair look great.

My best friend is focusing only on calories and she is losing too but she always feels hungry, her nails are breaking too and she gets moody. So I think clean eating is super important during weight loss. What do you guys think?

P.S. my food diary is open if you want to look and friend adds are welcome

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I feel/look/perform best eating mostly nutritious foods, hitting a balance of macros with treats fit in as I please.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Maybe. In order to get sufficient vitamins and minerals, you're going to have to dip into "clean eating" a little bit (whole grains, sufficient fruit and vegetables) but being extremist about it is just going to complicate things. Heck, sometimes processed stuff is better than fresh. Frozen and canned fruit/vegetables retain more of their vitamins than fresh fruit/vegetables. Unless you're getting it directly and promptly from the farm, the vitamins have already degraded significantly.

"University of California studies show that vegetables can lose 15 to 55 percent of vitamin C, for instance, within a week. Some spinach can lose 90 percent within the first 24 hours after harvest."
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No, eating "clean" (whatever that means) doesn't matter.

However yes, if she isn't getting the nutrients she needs while eating at a lower calorie level, she is going to feel some effects from that. She needs to make sure she is getting enough carbs, protein, fat, vitamins, etc and overall calories. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't eating enough.

Anecdotal, but I do not eat "clean" and I am not suffering any of the effects you've listed.

We're eating almost the exact same number of calories but she's eating small portions of junk. Nothing healthy of big enough to fill up a stomach

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean

That is fine, but maybe not everyone's goal. At your cal intake and for some people, ya maybe important to feel full. I hate feeling too full, blah. Also I typically diet/cut at a much higher cal level so I have way more room for things that aren't filling. I will usually have a treat at the end of the day because, why not. I am not hungry, it feels good, keeps me happy and on track. Especially if I already hit my protein goals, healthy fats, had lots of veggies, fibre etc. If that is not something that works for you, then keep doing what you are doing. But it works for me
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Not for losing weight, but it does matter for other health concerns.

For example, because my family has a history of macular degeneration, my optometrist recommended that I eat more leafy greens like kale and spinach. They have nutrients that lessen the risk. Although you can get the same vitamins in pill form, he said the body more readily absorbed them from actual food. (He also specified that raw spinach was better than cooked spinach.)

(Definitions of "clean eating" vary, so it's an inexact question in a sense.)