Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• fasterpssycat
    fasterpssycat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My benchmark - are things listed on the label identifiable foods with sources I can know without a Google search or is it a chemical name I'd have to look up to locate the source?
  • LizzyK1983
    LizzyK1983 Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I find that strictly clean eating for me doesn't work. It feels really regimented and diet like and that's when the wheels come off as I feel like i'm missing something so I binge on 'non clean foods' regardless of meeting by calorie goal or not. I have relaxed alot and don't stress about eating clean anymore, I balance my diet to have fruit, vege's and protein everyday for health reasons but allow for daily treats within my calorie goal and if I want something extra naughty I will just exercise a bit more that day. It has done wonders for me as I don't feel like im missing out and for once in my life I feel like im eating normally! I am slowly losing and am not fretting over food anymore - at the end of the day really is just calories in, calories out.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I had a big salad for lunch and some sour patch kids, it's not "junk" to me.

What is junk?

I guess I should add...Solanum lycopersicum or Lycopersicon lycopersicum.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    ^^^^hahahaha
  • leanjogreen18
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Carpentry can cause cancer. Hot beverages can cause cancer. Red meat can cause cancer. Don't roll down your windows because exhaust and general air pollution can cause cancer. Alcohol can cause cancer. The bacteria that causes most ulcers causes cancer. Birth control can cause cancer. Sunlight causes cancer. Cooking your food can cause cancer. Aloe Vera can cause cancer. Pickled vegetables can cause cancer. Coffee could cause cancer. Shift work could cause cancer. Obesity can cause cancer.

Somehow, cancer is still not the leading cause of death in the US.

I believe I read that the cancer rate is actually decreasing? I will have to google now.

Exception colon cancer among 20 something-39 year olds is rapidly increasing for some reason. Hits close to home with 2 family members with 2 different types of colon cancer (they are sisters).

ETA - death rate from cancer is actually down.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean

Who makes a choice between a giant salad, or two oreos? What harm will I come to, if I eat a salad AND eat Oreos, when I have room in my calories for both?

She already stated that eating Oreos would not make her feel full (and presumably would lead to overeating).

If you are someone who can eat anything, anytime and stay in tiptop shape, well then..hallelujah. :)

I make good steaks.

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Also, just because I can, here are the various definitions of clean eating I've seen: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1
    Wow, I can see how that can be confusing. This is why I left my diary open so you guys can see what I mean but I'm in no way saying that everyone's clean has to look the same. Still, we all know the difference between healthy whole foods and junk :)

And something I should have said above, a little "junk" doesn't negate everything else that's nutritious in a diet. My matcha ice cream tonight won't change the number of veggies I'm eating. And it will help my calcium goal. If it fits in your calorie and nutrition goals, what's so wrong with a bit of "junk"? We don't get extra credit for going over what our nutrition needs are.

Yes. I agree with all that but you obviously know that brocolli is healthy and twinkles are junk. I'm not saying you can never eat them but we know what the healthier choices are in most situations. Of course, we all have different perspectives but we know what's healthy to us and what is just a treat
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Also, just because I can, here are the various definitions of clean eating I've seen: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1
    Wow, I can see how that can be confusing. This is why I left my diary open so you guys can see what I mean but I'm in no way saying that everyone's clean has to look the same. Still, we all know the difference between healthy whole foods and junk :)

And something I should have said above, a little "junk" doesn't negate everything else that's nutritious in a diet. My matcha ice cream tonight won't change the number of veggies I'm eating. And it will help my calcium goal. If it fits in your calorie and nutrition goals, what's so wrong with a bit of "junk"? We don't get extra credit for going over what our nutrition needs are.

Yes. I agree with all that but you obviously know that brocolli is healthy and twinkles are junk. I'm not saying you can never eat them but we know what the healthier choices are in most situations. Of course, we all have different perspectives but we know what's healthy to us and what is just a treat

No we don't, given a lot of us are trying to lose weight. :)

Joking aside, it's actually very difficult to categorize the value of foods. Twinkies are very healthy for the mind or at least something. That's why they are very well known.