Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like your friend!!

This time around I've been eating clean, and it's clearly a better choice. I do know it's hard to not want to jump in and tell her that your way is better, even though it is (and I indulge sometimes) but I think the best thing you can do is just keep doing what you're doing, the more she sees your success and happiness, she's going to want to know how you're not starving when she is!

That's what I've been doing with my mom- we have both been working at weight loss, and while I don't think a full on lean cuisine diet is healthy, I have always congratulated her weight loss, as she does mine.. but now she's seeing my yummy food and that I'm not saying "I'm starving!" Every night, now she's starting to ask me how I made this or that.. I'm sure your friend will catch on!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Maybe. In order to get sufficient vitamins and minerals, you're going to have to dip into "clean eating" a little bit (whole grains, sufficient fruit and vegetables) but being extremist about it is just going to complicate things. Heck, sometimes processed stuff is better than fresh. Frozen and canned fruit/vegetables retain more of their vitamins than fresh fruit/vegetables. Unless you're getting it directly and promptly from the farm, the vitamins have already degraded significantly.

"University of California studies show that vegetables can lose 15 to 55 percent of vitamin C, for instance, within a week. Some spinach can lose 90 percent within the first 24 hours after harvest."

They don't cite the study in the article where the info came from. And no one in the UC cites only the UC for credit for research. There are 10 UCs and each one wants all the rep points it can get. Without the context of the actual study, the info seems a little suspect to me.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a diet made up of predominantly "healthy" "clean" "nutritious" foods. But i also think there's nothing wrong with throwing in a treat or two here and there either.
    As long as the junk food or treats don't overtake the nutritious foods then i don't see a problem with incorporating not 100% clean, nutrient dense food into the mix.
    I agree. It's easier to throw in treats if you have a higher calorie limit to work within. If you're restricting calories a lot, empty calories from treats are likely to crowd out more nutritious foods that you might need. But if your calorie limit is pretty high, you have more room for extras. It's basically a budget, as @JohnnyPenso mentioned.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a diet made up of predominantly "healthy" "clean" "nutritious" foods. But i also think there's nothing wrong with throwing in a treat or two here and there either.
    As long as the junk food or treats don't overtake the nutritious foods then i don't see a problem with incorporating not 100% clean, nutrient dense food into the mix.
    I agree. It's easier to throw in treats if you have a higher calorie limit to work within. If you're restricting calories a lot, empty calories from treats are likely to crowd out more nutritious foods that you might need. But if your calorie limit is pretty high, you have more room for extras. It's basically a budget, as @JohnnyPenso mentioned.

I eat pretty clean and have no trouble sneaking in a 150 calorie 'treat' on a 1200 calorie day. I still get my 800g of veggies a day, lean protein, a serve of dairy...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Maybe. In order to get sufficient vitamins and minerals, you're going to have to dip into "clean eating" a little bit (whole grains, sufficient fruit and vegetables) but being extremist about it is just going to complicate things. Heck, sometimes processed stuff is better than fresh. Frozen and canned fruit/vegetables retain more of their vitamins than fresh fruit/vegetables. Unless you're getting it directly and promptly from the farm, the vitamins have already degraded significantly.

"University of California studies show that vegetables can lose 15 to 55 percent of vitamin C, for instance, within a week. Some spinach can lose 90 percent within the first 24 hours after harvest."

They don't cite the study in the article where the info came from. And no one in the UC cites only the UC for credit for research. There are 10 UCs and each one wants all the rep points it can get. Without the context of the actual study, the info seems a little suspect to me.

Not to mention that although vitamin C is one of the more volatile vitamins in vegetables (lost more than other things in cooking but I'm highly doubting the numbers above for simple transport) it's so abundant that even if more than half of it is lost you can still end up way over DV if you like vegetables. For perspective, one yellow pepper has more than enough vitamin C even if 80% of it was lost (very doubtful). I'm consistently over 500% vitamin C and I don't eat clean. It doesn't take much to get adequate nutrition and clean eating (or focusing on frozen foods for that purpose for that matter) is majoring in minors and putting more focus on areas that don't need as much focus on a balanced diet.

h5s1220ilnzv.png
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean

Who makes a choice between a giant salad, or two oreos? What harm will I come to, if I eat a salad AND eat Oreos, when I have room in my calories for both?

She already stated that eating Oreos would not make her feel full (and presumably would lead to overeating).

If you are someone who can eat anything, anytime and stay in tiptop shape, well then..hallelujah. :)

I make good steaks.

Eating Oreos instead of a salad would not make her feel full. Me neither. I really can't think of a time when I was trying to decide between a salad, which I would consider a meal, and two Oreos, which I would consider dessert. My point is that why does there always have to be this false dilemma? Are there people who choose to eat Oreos instead of a sensible meal? Not that they choose to consume Oreos after a sensible meal, but instead of? Those are the scenarios that are always proposed in these threads and they just don't seem realistic to me.

Eat anything, any time and stay in tip top shape? I don't think I would go that far, but I don't see how my comments indicate that I believe that I do that. I'm not striving for top top shape.... I'm striving for generally healthy and happy, and a diet that includes a variety of Whole Foods, processed foods, and even Oreos in moderation - helps me achieve that.

The problem is you are speaking from the perspective of someone who's healthy and rational and balanced.

But nothing is rational or absurd, rare about this false dilemma when it comes to food choice for people with eating disorder.

I think it's encouraging that the OP finds salad to be a solution for her, however it may seem trivial to you. Also, people like me could read more from it and develop other ideas. It doesn't have to be for a meal. Anytime I feel hungry, instead of going for Oreos, I can preemptively eat a big salad.

Does it mean I think Oreos are bad? No. But while dealing with an eating disorder, I need to pick a side and decide that Oreos would derail my effort and need to be avoided. It's like an alcoholic forgoing alcohol drinks completely to deal with his problem instead of striving for a balance like responsible drinkers do.
  • TwntyOnePointTwo
    TwntyOnePointTwo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From what I heard from a dietician, cleaner eating does matter in the long term for optimal health. There should be enough of each food group (protein,carbs, veggies, fat) at each meal or the body will be lacking in other areas potentially compromising long term health. For weight loss, both ways cleaner vs junkier eating(I.e too much fat) will contribute to weight loss in the short term (calories in/out) just the same; but not in the long term. Eventually if too much junk is eaten, ie fast food every day, weight loss will slow down due to imbalance in macros. Not sure how accurate this is but that's what I was told.