Can you still drink DIET pepsi or coke while on a diet?

Options

Replies

• AvidAdrienne
    AvidAdrienne Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    If you ask me: YES you can drink it, but personally it makes me crave sugar more and is addictive. I have a Coke Zero maybe every 2 weeks, and when I drink it I feel kind of yucky/unhealthy for a few hours, so I tell myself it's bad for me!

Very addictive. I was in diet soda anonymous up until recently. People really don't know the struggle until they've sucked asparagus for their next fix. How long you been clean?

It's addictive AF for me, could be my personality.
    Also, it's aspartame, not asparagus. Asparagus is a green stalky vegetable.
    It's cool joking about drug addiction though, sounds like you've never been through that before... *pats you on the back*
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I love to drink coke or pepsi, is it okay to drink it still while dieting? It has 0 calories so it won't add anything to my calorie deficit.

@misshavenross while you are free to drink what you wish keep in mind it is working the liver and kidneys extra vs just drinking water often. Giving up any thing that has a chemical/emotional hold on us is very hard to do over the long haul.

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »
    If you ask me: YES you can drink it, but personally it makes me crave sugar more and is addictive. I have a Coke Zero maybe every 2 weeks, and when I drink it I feel kind of yucky/unhealthy for a few hours, so I tell myself it's bad for me!

Very addictive. I was in diet soda anonymous up until recently. People really don't know the struggle until they've sucked asparagus for their next fix. How long you been clean?

It's addictive AF for me, could be my personality.
    Also, it's aspartame, not asparagus. Asparagus is a green stalky vegetable.
    It's cool joking about drug addiction though, sounds like you've never been through that before... *pats you on the back*

One could say it's equally uncool to suggest your desire to drink yummy Coke Zero is similar to an actual drug addiction. Which I suspect was her point in the first place.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I overreacted.

:flowerforyou:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I love to drink coke or pepsi, is it okay to drink it still while dieting? It has 0 calories so it won't add anything to my calorie deficit.

@misshavenross while you are free to drink what you wish keep in mind it is working the liver and kidneys extra vs just drinking water often. Giving up any thing that has a chemical/emotional hold on us is very hard to do over the long haul.

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums.

No.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So OP never came back? Boo.

ETA: Aww deactivated.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    So OP never came back? Boo.

ETA: Aww deactivated.

Dammit! :ohwell:
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Google "artificial sweeteners and obesity." You will find all sorts of well-conducted and documented studies tying AS to obesity and diabetes. Not exactly the outcome you are after.
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't drink them at all. And i don't miss them. Everybody here is for the long haul i guess and talks about lifestyle change to achieve weightloss and then maintain it. But apparently ppl are still eating/drinking bad as long as its in calorie goal. While it won't affect weightloss it is proven that soda and some artificial sweeteners are not good for your health. Plus it does cause cravings for some people. Junk food and soda are, in my opinion, first things to ditch if you are truly commited to a change.