Thoughts on eating all organic

Options

Replies

• jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat "organic" is when we grow it ourselves. Because our kids like to pull carrots out of the ground, rinse them off, and eat them so we don't use pesticides.

Except all the storms the past 2 weeks pretty much drowned a good chunk of our garden, so I doubt we'll get much this year.
  • bienemajamfp
    bienemajamfp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Fruit and vegetables from either an organic farm or one that uses commercial pesticides will have the same sugars and same amount of sugar.

Is this a case of confusing organic with unprocessed?

Right, who says otherwise?

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is kind of a choice between whether you want chemicals in your food or you want bugs in your food. That and "organic" tends to cost a lot more. In both cases, fruit is picked green, so you won't get the flavor you would get if you grew it yourself.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I seek out organic for animal products, but mostly because they will go hand in hand with having higher welfare standards and I do care about the way the animal is treated. I don't mind the extra expense - try to limit my meat intake in general because I do feel that that's a bit better for the planet.

Also like to support local - but I don't really pay attention to organic otherwise. Will try it out for certain things - for example, my supermarket did these organic blueberries, that were only a little bit more expensive but tasted much better. Have a feeling however that the better taste was due to the type of blueberry chosen, not the fact that it was organic.

• menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can't afford organic food so....
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Actually this is based on my long service for Defra - the UK agriculture department - including 3 years in the department dealing with additives and "novel foods" (their title at the time). I have no objection to GMOs for beneficial purpose such as disease resistance, but not to allow the rest of the plant life to be blasted out of existence with expensive pesticides herbicides (from the same company) and the consequential detriment to insect life and ultimately the planet. If that is too complicated, watch "The Bee Movie" :)

FIFY.

Although I do agree about the point of the same companies selling the herbicide and the herbicide-resistant crop seed (and then suing for patent infringements when non-GMO crops get "infected" by being pollinated from nearby GMO fields). I also have concerns about the effects this approach has on biodiversity.

I buy a mix of organic and traditional foods, although I prioritize buying local over buying organic. When available and affordable, I'll buy organic dairy and meat partly for me, partly for animals (theory, if they can't maintain health through massive dosing of prophylactic antibiotics and foster growth through hormones, then they have to maintain health and foster growth through healthy living conditions); cage-free eggs partly for me (better omega 3 to omega 6 ratio) and partly for chickens; some organic produce, mostly for farm workers exposed to non-organic herbicides and pesticides, partly for the environment, although for large-scale farming, I doubt it makes much difference.
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I buy organic apples. Those I can tell a big taste difference. I don't like all the waxy shiny apples either. Everything else is mostly meh only if on sale cheap or what I grow ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I have been eating mostly organic foods.. including boxed food like cereals,oatmeals, and crackers. I was wondering what people thought about eating organic vs processed foods!

Organic refers to how a food was grown or produced (pesticides, fertilizers, etc). It is not the same as unprocessed. Nutrition is not different. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food

Unprocessed means the food has not been altered. Boxed foods are processed foods. Unprocessed food may or may not be organic.

My personal opinion on organic foods is you might get a small benefit to the environment/health from organically produced foods but mostly you just pay more for the organic label. If it makes you feel better to support that type of food production and you have the funds then great. Research what you are buying.

My personal way of life includes non-organic and processed foods. I buy food that fits my budget.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific evidence suggesting a difference in organic food, processed food, insert latest buzz word here that marketing develops...
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about going all organic you should checkout Beyond Diet.

https://www.beyonddiet.com/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I have been eating mostly organic foods.. including boxed food like cereals,oatmeals, and crackers. I was wondering what people thought about eating organic vs processed foods!

Lol...organic or non-organic has nothing to do with whether something is processed or not...

We do most of our shopping at Costco and they have a lot of organic stuff with no non-organic alternative so we buy a lot of organic stuff, including organic Annie's Mac 'n Cheese for the kiddos...totally processed as hell...but still organic.
  • amr4job7410
    amr4job7410 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, sup? :smiley: I think you can grantee organic food than non organic specially in fruits and vegtables. Some farmers do inject the fruits with special type of hormons.