Tattoos and Fitness... Chicken or the Egg?

Options
13»

Replies

• ahartery9891
    ahartery9891 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Tattoos definitely came first. I have 4 now, and want to touch them up a lot more :) I could also go for getting a few more done, so we will see :)
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I got my first tattoo when I turned 40. All 6 of mine are in places that can only be seen if I want them to. 2 on one Ankle, shoulder, both shoulder blades, calf. I used places that I knew would never really be affected by weight. I want more but they will also be in places that won't be affected. I feel that at my age now, everything changes, with or without weight gain or loss.
  • Fiesta80
    Fiesta80 Posts: 35
    Options
    Tattoo came first for me as well. I got my first when I was 18 - I have a total of 7 now and a 3/4 sleeve, in progress...which I love. I guess most of mine are readily visible, since I wear short sleeves, and shorts a lot now.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mine were completely independant of each other. I think my 1st tat was around 28, but had nothing to do with me being fit. I was very fit at the time, but the tattoo was because I had always wanted one and finally figured out what I wanted.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Well, I have one tattoo right now, so that one came first.

I have two additionals planned, one small and one larger. The issue I'm struggling with is that my "canvas" is quite flawed with stretch marks so the areas I'd like to put them may or may not work b/c I'm not sure how well (or if) you can tattoo over a stretch mark.

If not, then I have some serious "canvas hunting" to do for the smaller one. I think I can still do the larger one, as it's designed for my side from my hip to under my arm and thankfully, that area didn't end up striped.

My thigh tattoo is over a couple stretch marks, and it wasn't a big deal. It actually hurt a little less, even though the place probably should have been more tender.. If you want it, do it!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have no tattoos.

I am considering one as a reward for my fitness efforts, but who knows. I've made it 30 years without one. lol
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Tattoo's first for me also, I am wanting to get a nice flat canvas to have a design I have done up my side :)
    That will be my treat for myself when I have reached goal
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    tattoos first. But the addition of MORE tattoo is what caused me to get in shape some.
  • marsts
    marsts Posts: 85
    Options
    For me, it was never wanting to get skinny to show off my tattoo, or getting a tattoo to get skinny...

I got the tattoo because it means something to me.... and when I get skinny then great ! They wont be going anywhere so obviously when it gots hot out , they'll still be there... whether im 130 pounds or 184 pounds. =)
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    my tattoos came first. Although.... if I could do it over again, Id have waited and done it on a thinner, tighter body and put them in difference places.
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Tat first, fitness now. Another tat is absolutely in my future.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Tattoos first. I have 4 so far and want more!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    tattoos first, here. they each tell a story and have always been very important to me. I plan to get more, but not as a means to showcase my body. they are there to remind me of different times/people in my life.