124»

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Both is good.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    allisonl6 wrote: »
    I run on the balls of me feet though when I run barefoot. It's a totally different gait. I touch the belt for such a short amount of time it's never really been an issue. Not to mention I have built some pretty epic calluses from years of barefootedness lol. I think maybe if it hurt I would feel differently, but it truly doesn't. The fact that I have a padded belt might help too.

If you are only running on the balls of your feet you are actually not using your feet/ankles/legs/body structure effectively. You SHOULD be ensuring your heels touch the ground when running, that's what the Achilles is for.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I make due with the hamster wheel most days, but I'm not usually running for more than 30-40 minutes at a time. AI would prefer to be outside but due to sub-zero temps in the winter, and 90+ degree, high humidity summers combined with my horrible allergies, my window of opportunity for outdoor running (or any outdoor exercise) is small. I also have a degenerative joint condition so running on pavement is pretty hard on my joints.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    saundts wrote: »
    I was curious, what is better, walking/running on the treadmill or going out on the street to walk/run?

So many great replies. I agree with people who said the best one is the one you will do.

Outside:
    You get the benefit of nature or other interesting scenery.
    You get the benefit of great variety -- big hills, trails, etc.
    The ground is harder.
    Sometimes the weather is not so great or even risky (rain/snow/ice)

Treadmill:
    Padded so it's easier on your body
    Can do in any weather or time of day
    BUT even with inclines, doesn't match the outside. I got a backache after walking repeatedly on the treadmill for more than an hour.

I walk on both the treadmill and outside. My favorite: the great outdoors.

• 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    I do both and I feel that I'm working harder when I walk outdoors due to the sharp incline changes where I walk but I also do the treadmill on a regular basis at the gym when I don't have a chance to get out. I like them both.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2017
    I love the treadmill because it allows me to workout during the snow/rain, but I prefer to walk outside. I'll walk outside down to about 20* but after that I'm indoors. I also only lift at the gym so when I'm there I treadmill because it's convenient. The way it is now (spring here), I lift and treadmill 3 days a week at the gym and walk two days a week outside.

Before I broke my leg and ankle I use to love running/walking in my barefoot vibrams. I can't use them anymore because of my injury and I really do miss them. I never literally ran/walked barefoot outside but I did love my barefoot shoes.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    I just started c25k, all on a treadmill so far because I read its better for fat out of shape people like me...easier on the bones, joints etc. At week 3 or 4 I'll try it outside and see how it goes.
    I would prefer outdoors but I don't hate treadmills either. I just put in my bluetooth earbuds and listen to streaming music. Its still pretty chilly outside anyway but that will be changing soon.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    I just started c25k, all on a treadmill so far because I read its better for fat out of shape people like me...easier on the bones, joints etc. At week 3 or 4 I'll try it outside and see how it goes.
    I would prefer outdoors but I don't hate treadmills either. I just put in my bluetooth earbuds and listen to streaming music. Its still pretty chilly outside anyway but that will be changing soon.

I found it easier to build up strength on the treadmill then transition outside. You'll probably have to do walk/run intervals for a few weeks to allow your muscles and joints to adjust to the pavement and uneven surfaces. It's definitely harder so don't get discouraged if you feel like your starting at zero again.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    saundts wrote: »
    I was curious, what is better, walking/running on the treadmill or going out on the street to walk/run?

It depends. If I want to read, Kindle + Treadmill. If its nice outside, running and/or walking outside is great.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    The one you do. Both can be great depending. You don't want to skip working out in bad weather or when can only walk at night thats tteadmill time. On a lovely day get outdide and walk or run.

Great answer! LOL! What good is a particular activity if you can't keep it up?
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    I'd rather walk in the rain or even the snow than spend 1 hour walking stationary towards a TV.

I find that walking and running on a treadmill is easier like it's and assisted exercise.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    edited April 2017
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I run on the balls of me feet though when I run barefoot. It's a totally different gait. I touch the belt for such a short amount of time it's never really been an issue. Not to mention I have built some pretty epic calluses from years of barefootedness lol. I think maybe if it hurt I would feel differently, but it truly doesn't. The fact that I have a padded belt might help too.

If you are only running on the balls of your feet you are actually not using your feet/ankles/legs/body structure effectively. You SHOULD be ensuring your heels touch the ground when running, that's what the Achilles is for.

Not when running barefoot. When you are barefoot your are supposed to hit with the balls of your feet. Here are a couple of links :)

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/5BarefootRunning&TrainingTips.html
    http://sportsscientists.com/2011/06/barefoot-running-shoes-and-born-to-run/
    http://fl.milesplit.com/articles/112223/heels-or-toes-what-is-the-best-way-to-run
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member

I found it easier to build up strength on the treadmill then transition outside. You'll probably have to do walk/run intervals for a few weeks to allow your muscles and joints to adjust to the pavement and uneven surfaces. It's definitely harder so don't get discouraged if you feel like your starting at zero again.

This above, and the fact that the treadmill paces for you. On your own, you need to learn to self-pace.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member

Thanks for that info. I know I have to take it slow and easy so I'm trying to stay with the program. It seems really slow at first but I think it ramps up quite a bit in W3 or 4.

I will do the whole 8 weeks on the treadmill if I have to but I definitely want to make the transition to outdoor running so I can do my first 5k. :)

If I hit a wall I guess the thing to do is just redo it till successful right? Well it feels good just to move so Ill hang in there I hope.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I use both, too. I prefer walking outside unless the weather is bad.
    For running I prefer running on the treadmill at the gym so I can watch TV, *unless* I have someone to run with. I am also a wimp and hate running on hills, so treadmill ftw. ;)
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    I really like to run barefoot, so the treadmill is a safer option for me lol. I'm also very introverted so I have to push harder to convince myself to go outside where the people are. I find I run more when I can be alone in my space.

Seriously? You run barefoot on a treadmill? That is not safe.

Why is that?

Curious as well? I've broken plenty of bones running with shoes on.

I don't care for the DREADmill. But it's the lessor of two evils, for me, when compared to other cardio machines. I prefer running outside. Feels better on my body. You use more/different muscles running outside since your pushing for power vs moving to keep up. Your ankles will be a lot stronger from having to navigate uneven terrain.

Sadly, I'll be on the treadmill for my 5 mile run tomorrow. Snow/mix here in Chicago. Nope.

I've never broken a bone running before, but I know if I try to run barefoot my feet literally hurt. I just imagine a treadmill barefoot run might make it worse.

I used to be a collegiate athlete, at the tale end of that career, I had 5 broken bones in my left food from running. Ended up being career ending, I had to have one surgically removed. It's not fun. I'm glad you've never had that experience... it's ugly.
    I really like to run barefoot, so the treadmill is a safer option for me lol. I'm also very introverted so I have to push harder to convince myself to go outside where the people are. I find I run more when I can be alone in my space.

Seriously? You run barefoot on a treadmill? That is not safe.

Why is that?
    Also curious why? I've always preferred to be barefoot, period. What about the treadmill makes it so unsafe?

It seems to me the bottom of one's feet might get chaffed. Running barefoot on a treadmill must place a lot of stress on one's feet because there's no traction from shoes.

No worse than running barefoot on pavement, and arguably safer. People run barefoot on pavement, a lot.

Well, it all comes down to preference and whether you can tolerate running barefoot on a hard surface. Personally, I live in a larger city and I've never seen anyone running barefoot on the pavement...and there's a lot of runners here. ;)

I think something would start growing on the bottom of my feet if I ran barefoot, I live in Chicago. haha. I have yet to see someone running barefoot here, but there's so much broken glass and scary unknown objects, I can't imagine anyone doing so. I grew up in the country, summer time meant no shoes ever! It was glorious! I still jump at any opportunity to not wear shoes :)

I'll say, running outside is definitely a lot more entertaining than running on a treadmill.