Thoughts on eating all organic

Options

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That's why I don't bother either, unless it's actually cheaper (which happens!).
    I've seen it too! :) I don't know why or how, but it does happen.

There are certain fruits and vegetables that I try to buy organic because I just like the taste better. I don't know why they taste different - maybe it's a different strain of plant, or where they're grown, or maybe what they use on it is different. I'd rather eat organic strawberries, carrots, or celery than non-organic. Organic bananas also taste different to me, though not necessarily better.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For ethical reasons, I try to support local agriculture, participate in a CSA, and "vote" for organic food production by buying it.

But for budgetary reasons, I do still purchase some mass-produced packaged foods, although the percentage of my cupboard and fridge that are produced by Food, Inc shrinks on a regular basis.

I ALWAYS buy organic celery, carrots, bok choy, napa cabbage, almond milk, and chicken. I USUALLY buy organic tomatoes and fruit (and avoid them completely when out of season.) I NEVER buy organic diet soda :-)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'll admit I buy organic veggies we eat a ton of them with vegan/vegetarian/pescatarians in the family. We have a local farmers market where I get most of them cheaper than I can get regular at the grocery store. I get eggs from my son who has chickens but I also buy store bought when he doesn't have enough and I go for the cage free, non hormone blah blah.

When my granddaughter is here my son only likes her to have organic cheese among other things but I do not buy organic cheese for myself.

So maybe I'm wasting my money but it does seem like my organic food spoils much faster than non organic. And I think there is a placebo effect in that I feel like its better for me:)

ETA - I always make spelling and typo's.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think organic tastes different than non organic (and I'm not sure why it would unless different varietals, which is possible but should be apparent in the store). However, I do think local tastes better usually and in season and there are varieties I like better. It's most dramatic with tomatoes, but it's a big difference with strawberries too -- I used to never buy strawberries since I thought I didn't like them much, until I started growing some and buying them at the green market and then I found the strawberries of my childhood again. (Plus I like being able to get different varieties and compare them like one does with apples.) Out of season, though, I think all strawberries one can get at the grocery store are mediocre, so just get the frozen ones, which are fine and quite a bit cheaper.

Never noticed much of a difference with celery or carrots, personally, beyond the joy and freshness of a carrot one pulls up from the ground oneself.

On the other hand, the pork I buy from a local farm is more delicious than anything I've gotten from a store, but I know that's nothing to do with "organic" (although the farm is) or even local, but the breed of pig. Unlike the beef, which tends to be leaner, the pork has more fat, but it's worth it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of organics. I will always choose organic if it's of at least similar quality and price. I prefer to grow much of my own organic produce because then I know exactly what has and has not been used in the growing.
  • bienemajamfp
    bienemajamfp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I eat a lot of USDA organic foods. But not because they are supposedly healthy. IMO they taste much better. Much more flavor and not loaded with added sugars.

So an organic apple has no added sugars, but a non-organic one is loaded with them? Sounds legit.

Eeeehm, did I talk about organic fruits? There are plenty of foods like cereal etc with the organic label, that taste better than regular ones. I don't even eat any fruit!
  • bienemajamfp
    Options
    I eat a lot of USDA organic foods. But not because they are supposedly healthy. IMO they taste much better. Much more flavor and not loaded with added sugars.

So an organic apple has no added sugars, but a non-organic one is loaded with them? Sounds legit.

Eeeehm, did I talk about organic fruits? There are plenty of foods like cereal etc with the organic label, that taste better than regular ones. I don't even eat any fruit!

You said "organic foods" without any further specification. Fruit is a food and if it's grown organically, it's an "organic food". Which illustrates the problem with sweeping, generalized statements.

True, I should have listed each product individually and not have said "A lot of organic food". Holy .....!
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yuppie food.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but no, I don't think eating organic is better for you.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Lots of cereals without an organic label lack added sugar. I'm a fan of oatmeal (hate cold cereal) and eat steel cut oats that aren't labeled organic, but have no other ingredients. I don't know why you'd think that being organic says anything about sugar content.
  • bienemajamfp
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Lots of cereals without an organic label lack added sugar. I'm a fan of oatmeal (hate cold cereal) and eat steel cut oats that aren't labeled organic, but have no other ingredients. I don't know why you'd think that being organic says anything about sugar content.

Just comparing nutrition labels a lot and pick the food with the least amount of sugar. Very often organic is the winner. But not always!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I only buy organic if it's the only option or I just happen to like the product better.

I just realized - this usually happens because I'm looking for smaller fruits and veg. Apples of certain varieties that also fit the USDA's 'medium' standard or sweet potatoes that aren't the size of a baby's head. Those are worth it to me because I don't end up with as much spoilage. And in the case of the sweet potato, don't have to wait for hours for the damn thing to bake.

Slice it up into fries and it cooks a lot faster (around 20 minutes).

Yes, of course, but I don't actually like sweet potato fries either baked or fried.

I like loaded baked sweet potatoes loaded up with salty and/or spicy, savory goodies. This is pretty much the only way I like sweet potato.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just comparing nutrition labels a lot and pick the food with the least amount of sugar. Very often organic is the winner. But not always!

People likely to look for "organic" in a packaged product are probably more likely to read labels and care about sugar than the average consumer, so that many of them might be lower than average sugar for the product makes sense, but if you want to avoid added sugar it's pretty easy to do it and still eat all conventional produce/products. I don't eat a lot of packaged stuff (and that I do, like plain oats and dried pasta and plain greek yogurt, etc., has no added sugar anyway), so when you were talking about sugar I also assumed you meant produce and was confused/interpreted it as AnvilHead did.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    First thing that comes to mind...expensive
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That's why I don't bother either, unless it's actually cheaper (which happens!).
    I've seen it too! :) I don't know why or how, but it does happen.

There are certain fruits and vegetables that I try to buy organic because I just like the taste better. I don't know why they taste different - maybe it's a different strain of plant, or where they're grown, or maybe what they use on it is different. I'd rather eat organic strawberries, carrots, or celery than non-organic. Organic bananas also taste different to me, though not necessarily better.

I used to eat bok choy a lot in stir fry.... Until I bought some organic ones and realised it actually had a taste, and the taste was horrid. Never again...