Halo top ice cream

Options

Replies

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Had it for the first time this week and really enjoyed it (chocolate almond crunch). I'm not a big ice cream fan but I made brownie ice cream sundaes for the family this week and wanted to have something with them, while staying low calorie since I'm in a short weight loss phase for summer prep. Really liked the texture and flavoring of Halo Top and will definitely buy it again!
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's not "healthier" it's lower calorie. I like the mint, cookie dough, and red velvet. The chocolate is lack-luster. I think the peanut butter cup is pretty good too.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time last week!!
    OMG! Where have you been all my life?

The calorie/protein macros are terrific!
    I'm a peanut butter person, but was surprised to find this was my least favorite flavor so far.

The cookie dough is out-of-this-world! I've got lemon cake and birthday cake in the freezer, waiting for taste testing.

BTW, I read this funny article about HaloTop/ArcticZero/HaagenDazs. A woman has her co-workers taste test them.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/low-cal-ice-cream-taste-test?utm_term=.hcXMboKzY#.vqa53jpJ9
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Favorites are sea salt caramel and s'mores. I haven't been able to find the oatmeal cookie one locally, but I'm curious about that one. YUM YUM YUM! And it's stupid expensive, but that's good because I do need to eat other things... sometimes...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I Love Ice cream and I've heard that a brand called Halo Top is a "healthier" version. Has anyone tried it? What is the best flavor? Thanks!

Healthier is a matter of opinion. But it tastes good, has a good texture (seems like real ice cream) and is lower in calories than regular ice cream. So I can have a decent portion without eating half of my daily calories in one sitting.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love Halo Top and have a serving every night. I like Peanut Butter, Oatmeal Cookie, Cookie Dough, Pistachio and Red Velvet. Not a huge fan of the plain flavors like chocolate and strawberry and don't think the espresso chip has enough kick.

Not sure how it is "unhealthy," but I am not a purist when it comes to sugar substitutes.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I've been resisting the $6.99 price but I guess I'll have to give it a try!
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love Halo Top! I like to stay on the lighter calorie options, so my favorites are the Birthday Cake (because I love sprinkles), Sea Salt Caramel (has swirls of caramel inside), and the Vanilla Bean flavor.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

I guess I should be happy that walmart by me has it for 4.74!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    I tend to pay $4-5 for a pint of it. Like the vanilla bean and red velvet and black cherry. Need to try more flavors.
  • adebernardi
    adebernardi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero is another great brand. They have a salted caramel that is wonderful. It is only 35 calories per 1/2 cup serving and 150 calories for the entire pint. I have found them at Walmart.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »

I was surprised that Fred Meyer didn't have a better price on it. I'll have to check again. Trust me, I spend plenty on quality food - I'm not sure why that price threw me!
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They have them at our Walmart now! My favorite is the Birthday Cake one, but I also like Cookies and Cream. My husband loves the Peanut Butter one and the Sea Salt Caramel. I didn't like Strawberry or Lemon. Vanilla is okay.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I personally dislike the birthday cake flavor :/ I like the sea salt caramel flavor and chocolate. Enlightened has good flavors as well the caramel oatmeal cookie crunch is pretty good. I also think it tasted amazing.

That's funny! I love the birthday cake flavor...it's in my freezer now.

@srk369 - that's hilarious!!!

Op- you've heard feedback for this flavor on both sides :)

Another point for birthday cake here. I have not one but two pints in my freezer.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Arctic Zero is another great brand. They have a salted caramel that is wonderful. It is only 35 calories per 1/2 cup serving and 150 calories for the entire pint. I have found them at Walmart.

I don't care for ARctic Zero. It does not seem like ice cream in texture and the flavor is weak. Its kind of like a watered down version of something icecream-like.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I got mine from my local Meijer store they were selling them for $3.75. I think it's a store or location thing. I know my local store it's always full! Haha so my benefit .
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I was surprised that Fred Meyer didn't have a better price on it. I'll have to check again. Trust me, I spend plenty on quality food - I'm not sure why that price threw me!

Yeah, I think $7 would make me think twice. I only buy it every couple of weeks (1 for me and 1 for my husband) and it already feels expensive. But then, my husband is celiac and I'm kinda used to GF prices already!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I agree with @adebernardi about Arctic Zero. I LOVE Halo Top! Have tried the mint chip and chocolate flavors so far and LOVE them. Dying to try Salted Caramel and Red Velvet but can't find them in my local stores
  • adebernardi
    adebernardi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Interesting, @StaciMarie1974 . I will definitely have to try Halo. I love the arctic zero so I may find new favorite after trying Halo.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    It depends what "healthier" means to you...

I'd say lower calorie. Which doesn't mean healthier...

One serving of the pint I have in the freezer right now is 60 calories, 2g fat, 2g fiber and 6g protein. You think that's "unhealthy"?

I personally wouldn't call it healthy. The sugar alcohols give me all sorts of issues. I'd rather real icecream made with cream, sugar and eggs and all the calories.

It's a low calorie alternative that allows people to fit" icecream" in to their diet.

Milk, cream, and eggs are the first three ingredients and the sugar alcohols do absolutely nothing to me. Just because one person's body reacts to it differently doesn't immediately mean it should be considered 'unhealthy' by everyone. But that's a decision everyone has to make for themselves.

I had a coupon for a free pint of Enlightened, which like Halo Top uses erythritol instead of sugar. One serving upset my stomach mildly.

I'm not using this article to make a case for or against Halo Top; just providing information:

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57319A35-CCFC-7263-4E53-ADEDD4D11C8B

...One of the reasons for the low calorie count per serving is the "fluff factor". You see, a half a cup of Haagen Dazs weighs 102 grams (just over 3 ounces), whereas a half cup serving of Halo Top weighs just 66 grams (2 ounces and change). Basically, with Halo Top you are getting one third less product, or conversely, with Halo Top, you get a lot of air per serving.

...3 sweeteners are used, the primary one is erythritol, a sugar alcohol with a low calorie count. It may cause digestive discomfort, bloating, and excessive gas. The second sweetener used is organic cane sugar, a pretty name for table sugar. The last ingredient listed is Stevia, a zero calorie sweetener that is the darling of dieters, despite the fact that its manufacturing process is anything but natural.

The higher protein value of Halo Top ice cream compared to other ice creams is due to the fortification of the product with milk protein concentrate, a dirty little trick that food companies often use to bulk up the protein numbers of snack bars and other items.

In order to replicate the smooth taste of a fat filled ice cream, various additives are employed - glycerin, carob gum, and and guar gum.