Need advice from the ladies... (birth control help!)

Options

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sparrowly wrote: »
    If your body has issues with hormonal birth control, you could learn Fertility Awareness. It's simply a matter of tracking your body's symptoms so that you know what days you are fertile, and avoid unprotected sex on those days. It's free (unless you use Clear Blue method) and works with your body instead of trying a one size fits all pill that may or may not cause a blood clot or stroke.

A woman's body temperature, discharge, hormone levels, and cervix position change during the cycle while gearing up for ovulation. If you look at some of those symptoms, you can pinpoint exactly what is going on in your body. It's science.

I am 36, never used hormonal birth control, and I have one planned child. I chart daily cervical discharge and can see exactly when I'm about to ovulate. Generally, a woman is fertile about 5 days a month! You only need to avoid unprotected sex during those fertile days.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a helpful book on this topic.

I know someone who did that, they ended up having 5 kids, ,when they only planned for 3.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    Did you ever think about getting permanently sterilized instead? Are you planning on having any other kids? I got my tubes tied to avoid issues with hormones and so I wouldn't have to pay for pills until I'm 60.

Doctors won't always let you do this. I've been asking for years and am always refused because 'you're young and might change your mind.'

Currently I have the Nexplanon implant and it's a bit meh for me. My periods are wildly unpredictable. I won't have one for a few months, and then I'll get three in 6 weeks. I'm thinking about getting it removed and going back on the pill because it is getting ridiculous and I'm sick of buying new underwear :neutral:
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    And I know one girl who got pregnant twice on birth control. And a cousin who did as well. So...that tells us exactly nothing.

All types of pregnancy avoidance have user error issues and/or method failure. You just have to choose what is more concerning to you--the possibility of an "extra" child (ugh, I hate even typing that) or health issues if you are contraindicated for hormonal bc. Not trying to get debate-y, but we can all pull out stories of people we know who have had unplanned pregnancies with pills, IUD, natural methods, etc.
    janjunie wrote: »
    If your body has issues with hormonal birth control, you could learn Fertility Awareness. It's simply a matter of tracking your body's symptoms so that you know what days you are fertile, and avoid unprotected sex on those days. It's free (unless you use Clear Blue method) and works with your body instead of trying a one size fits all pill that may or may not cause a blood clot or stroke.

A woman's body temperature, discharge, hormone levels, and cervix position change during the cycle while gearing up for ovulation. If you look at some of those symptoms, you can pinpoint exactly what is going on in your body. It's science.

I am 36, never used hormonal birth control, and I have one planned child. I chart daily cervical discharge and can see exactly when I'm about to ovulate. Generally, a woman is fertile about 5 days a month! You only need to avoid unprotected sex during those fertile days.

I know someone who did that, they ended up having 5 kids, ,when they only planned for 3.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    And I know one girl who got pregnant twice on birth control. And a cousin who did as well. So...that tells us exactly nothing.

All types of pregnancy avoidance have user error issues and/or method failure. You just have to choose what is more concerning to you--the possibility of an "extra" child (ugh, I hate even typing that) or health issues if you are contraindicated for hormonal bc. Not trying to get debate-y, but we can all pull out stories of people we know who have had unplanned pregnancies with pills, IUD, natural methods, etc.

You speak the truth... But I just had to say I'm laughing at this tidbit.

*slinks away in shame*
  • gradchica27
    Options
    Hahahah, I saw that after I typed it. :wink:

*slinks away in shame*

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My problem with using natural methods is it tells me not to have sex for the week of the month I want to have sex.

Ultimately, the husband preferred the dreaded vasectomy to a lifetime sentence of condoms. Which haven't been mentioned, but are an option.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

*slinks away in shame*

You are faster than me... That's what I was going to say. :laugh:
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I know a family that had an extra child AFTER dad's vasectomy. And there's no question of paternity - kid looks exactly like him. I don't know them well enough to ask whether he blew off the follow-up sperm count thing or what, but yeah - nothing's 100% foolproof.
  • gradchica27
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    My problem with using natural methods is it tells me not to have sex for the week of the month I want to have sex.

Ultimately, the husband preferred the dreaded vasectomy to a lifetime sentence of condoms. Which haven't been mentioned, but are an option.

There is that. But honest question--do you still have that desire surge in bc? I haven't been on it in 15 years, so I don't know and I've heard some ladies get decreased libido as a side effect. Just curious.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

This is so very true. The most fertile days are the days I'm jumping my husband the second he walks in the door.
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am spoiled on the pill. I have a very short light period for 3-5 days once a month like clockwork. I can almost time it to the hour when it starts. It's that stable every month. And when I stopped taking it to have my 3 pregnancies, I was pregnant in the first 1-2 months after.

I think we will have to sit down and have a serious discussion about a vasectomy. That seems to be the safest option with the lowest risk.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in with thoughts and advice. This decision has been eating away at me the for last 2 weeks and I truly appreciate everyone's comments and sharing their stories. I'll catch up on reading everyone's latest comments when I get a break from work. I have about 30 people waiting on their paychecks today, lol.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

There is that. But honest question--do you still have that desire surge in bc? I haven't been on it in 15 years, so I don't know and I've heard some ladies get decreased libido as a side effect. Just curious.

Again: vasectomy. Major upside is that I'm done with all kinds of birth control. Copper IUD also has no hormones, and so a woman still ovulates and gets the hormones preceding that.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was actually in the exact same position about a year ago. I had been on the pill for 10 years and had migraines with aura for 2-3 of those but my doctor never said anything. Cut to me moving, getting a new doctor, and being told that those two things were a terrible combination.

My doctor gave me the same options but she told me she wouldn't 100% recommend the Nexplanon because its really unpredictable. She said she removes those from about 20% of her patients within the first 6 months either because they bleed continuously or have no period which freaks them out. She said everyone reacts differently to it so she can't prepare them for what will happen.

She recommended mirena, skkyla or paragard. Both mirena and skkyla are hormonal and should reduce or eliminate your period. I personally have a strange paranoia about being pregnant, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of not having my monthly confirmation lol.

I ended up going with the paragard and I (now) love it. The first 6 months were rough and I had a lot of adjustments to figure out how to manage my new, significantly worse symptoms. Since I'd been on the pill since I was 16 and they make everything so mild, I hadn't really ever had a "bad" period or cramps. Terrible cramps are no joke.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I don't personally. I am on the pill.
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

My husband might *hopefully* think like yours.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I got Essure years ago and did a victory dance when the HSG showed 100% blockage on both sides. The only problem I had was that I couldn't get it sooner, but that was down to doctors who kept refusing to accept that I knew what I wanted.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I wasn't advocating hormonal birth control. Just saying I know someone who had two unexpected children using that method, just like someone else here mentioned that they got pregnant on the IUD.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I miss my libido. Still waiting for that to come back.

Hubby opted for vasectomy. My daughter has a Mirena IUD and she's happy with it.

Vasectomy and Mirena IUD both have the same failure rate, and I'm pretty happy with that.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for almost 2 years. I had some minor issues with one string but since then have had no issues.
    I can't take the pill because it puts me on an emotional rollercoaster. It made me feel nuts. So my doctor recommended Mirena since it's a very low dose of hormones.
    It effects different people in different ways. My best friend got one as well she doesn't get her period at all but I spot every month.
    It was uncomfortable for me when I first got it but I went out and did errands after, so it wasn't that bad. Some people said they were in so much pain that they were crying... But they also have never had children.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The Nexplanon did not work for me. My cycle went haywire and it became longer . It typically lasts for 3-5 days and when I was on Nexplanon it would last up to 10 days or more! My pms also got really bad . Prior to the Nexplanon I was on the Depo shot which worked great ( I know it's not for everyone ) This is such a tough situation :/ I was also thinking of trying an IUD since they last for along time.