Halo top ice cream

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I liked it quite a bit...but the sugar alcohols in it tore my stomach up bad. But, I always have issues with erythritol so it shouldn't have been a shock
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero is another great brand.
    No it is not. I was disappointed in HT cookie dough as it needs more mixins, but at least the base was has a wonderful flavor. Arctic Zero's cookie dough base has none.

Enlightened also has some good reviews.

I tried the Enlightened ice cream bars, and after two attempts......threw out the rest...
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I Love Ice cream and I've heard that a brand called Halo Top is a "healthier" version. Has anyone tried it? What is the best flavor? Thanks!

There are a bazillion thread here on it. You must be new! :p
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    Hi!

I personally dislike the birthday cake flavor :/ I like the sea salt caramel flavor and chocolate. Enlightened has good flavors as well the caramel oatmeal cookie crunch is pretty good. I also think it tasted amazing.

That's funny! I love the birthday cake flavor...it's in my freezer now.

Yup we all have different tastes! I had to throw out the birthday cake one, and also the mint chip. LOVE Red Velvet and Peanut Butter though!!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    edited April 2017
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    It's not "healthier" it's lower calorie. I like the mint, cookie dough, and red velvet. The chocolate is lack-luster. I think the peanut butter cup is pretty good too.

For lots of us, that does mean "healthier", as far as ice cream goes. ;)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    I personally wouldn't call it healthy. The sugar alcohols give me all sorts of issues. I'd rather real icecream made with cream, sugar and eggs and all the calories.

It's a low calorie alternative that allows people to fit" icecream" in to their diet.

I call it healthier than my other choices.
    And it actually does have cream, sugar, and eggs. This is off the label:

Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, prebiotic fiber, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, vegetable glycerin, organic vanilla extract, organic vanilla beans, sea salt, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

Sugar alcohols don't bother me at all, so I love it. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't call it healthy. The sugar alcohols give me all sorts of issues. I'd rather real icecream made with cream, sugar and eggs and all the calories.

It's a low calorie alternative that allows people to fit" icecream" in to their diet.

Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, prebiotic fiber, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, vegetable glycerin, organic vanilla extract, organic vanilla beans, sea salt, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

I know what the ingredients are. I explained what my issues were with it in the post you quoted, and said why I didn't think it was necessarily a "healthier" alternative.

Healthy is not synonymous with low calorie in my opinion.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

I know what the ingredients are. I explained what my issues were with it in the post you quoted, and said why I didn't think it was necessarily a "healthier" alternative.

It isn't just low calorie. It's also low fat, with protein, fiber, and organic ingredients. (Granted, I personally don't care if it contains organic or not.)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

It isn't just low calorie. It's also low fat, with protein, fiber, and organic ingredients. (Granted, I personally don't care if it contains organic or not.)

Why does that make it healthy? Fat is not unhealthy.

(I never said it was unhealthy, or that people shouldn't eat it. Whether something is a "healthier" alternative, which is what the OP mentioned in her post, is complete subjective and depends on what healthy means to the individual, which is why I explained why I personally didn't think it was a better, or healthier alternative.)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

(I never said it was unhealthy, or that people shouldn't eat it. Whether something is a "healthier" alternative, which is what the OP mentioned in her post, is complete subjective and depends on what healthy means to the individual, which is why I explained why I personally didn't think it was a better, or healthier alternative.)
    I personally wouldn't call it healthy.

You may not have called it unhealthy, but you did in fact say you wouldn't call it healthy. So if it's not, in your opinion, healthy and it's also, in your opinion, not unhealthy what is it?

I also agree that fat isn't unhealthy, but I'm sorry, but with lower overall numbers and notable macros that are much easier to fit into an overall healthy diet without having to sacrifice other things to fit it in, it does indeed qualify (in my personal opinion) as a "healthier alternative" to normal ice cream. We aren't comparing it to carrots here.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Arctic Zero is another great brand.
    No it is not. I was disappointed in HT cookie dough as it needs more mixins, but at least the base was has a wonderful flavor. Arctic Zero's cookie dough base has none.

Enlightened also has some good reviews.

Artic Zero is gross. I bought cookies and cream took one bite and threw the 6 dollar chemical poo storm in the trash
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I personally wouldn't call it healthy.

You may not have called it unhealthy, but you did in fact say you wouldn't call it healthy. So if it's not, in your opinion, healthy and it's also, in your opinion, not unhealthy what is it?

I also agree that fat isn't unhealthy, but I'm sorry, but with lower overall numbers and notable macros that are much easier to fit into an overall healthy diet without having to sacrifice other things to fit it in, it does indeed qualify (in my personal opinion) as a "healthier alternative" to normal ice cream. We aren't comparing it to carrots here.

I PERSONALLY wouldn't call it healthy. How is a food that causes me issues in any way healthy for me? For me, it is not a healthier alternative to normal icecream. That is my opinion, based on what I determine "healthier" to mean for me. I personally don't determine a foods healthiness by looking at its calories.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Haven't found a flavor I like yet.. I've tried Sea Salt, Vanilla and Peanut Butter...
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat ice cream, but when I do I want a decent size serving. Not the measly 1/2 listed on the carton. I had an entire pint of Halo Top the other day. For lunch. At 280 calories I cured my ice cream craving for the foreseeable future and still got plenty of protein. Win!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I tried the Birthday Cake last night, and was disappointed :(

It had the texture of the Enlightened ice cream, which I tossed. The cookie dough was sooo good, I am sad.

Next up will be Lemon Cake...
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I tried the Birthday Cake last night, and was disappointed :(

It had the texture of the Enlightened ice cream, which I tossed. The cookie dough was sooo good, I am sad.

Next up will be Lemon Cake...

I was hopeful for the lemon cake but it was meh for me...but I loved birthday cake...so who knows how your tastes will differ, lol!

After all this discussion, I did buy the s'mores flavor last night and hope I like it too!
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Not terribly impressed with the two flavor I tried
    S'mores and chocolate almond were mediocre. Nothing that a few squirts of
    Hershey's syrup can't fix. I'll take a bit less ice cream and add the syrup.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So this morning I tried the Red Velvet flavor, so far it's the one I like better.
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love Halo Top! IMO, it is a healthier option than ice cream (for most of us). Its protein is higher, calories lower, and it makes a nice alternative to yogurt. I try to stick to the lower calorie flavors, and I love the mint chip, pistachio, and vanilla. Didn't care for the lemon cake, though, and I love lemon. :(