Hard boiled eggs

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Just stick hard boiled eggs in vinegar w/the flavorings/spices you want to pickle them. Many recipes online available. I prefer mine plain.
  • sgt1372
    edited April 2017
    Options
    10 minutes? Blurgh.... I do 5 minutes for jumbo sized eggs and the yolks are just set. After 10 minutes they'd be well and truly dead!

Not so.

Cooking at a low boil (or simmer) for 10 mins is what Jaqque Pepin recommends and is what I do. The yolks come out semi soft and without a green tinge.

Just dump them into an ice water bath in the sink for 15 mins afterward, pre-crack but do not peel them, put them in a covered bowl of cold water in the frig and they'll keep for a week or more.

I do this with eggs graded large and extra large and they come out the same. Jumbos would come out even softer in the center and actually mind need a 1 or so more to properly set the yolk.

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    lolos_257 wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Hard boiled eggs are awesome. Personally, I like to pickle them.

How do pickle eggs? Sounds interesting

You start with peeled hard boiled eggs. You put them in a glass jar. Bring vinegar, salt, garlic powder and dill to a boil, then pour it over the eggs. Let them sit in the fridge for at least 2 days before eating. This method does not make the eggs shelf stable. They will need to be refrigerated.

I like to mix it up sometimes. I've made mustard, spicy and smoked pickled eggs as well. There are tons of different recipes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For me it's bad, because I hate the taste of hardboiled yolks. But a large egg is only 70 calories, so that easily fits into your calories.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    You eat 2 or 3 HB eggs a day? Does that impact your cholesterol?

Dietary cholesterol only impacts people who have genetic issues with hypercholesterolemia.

If you're not one of them, don't worry about it.

But maybe your body starts to develop problems like "hypercholesterolemia" for your future offspring? I don't know how those things work, but maybe people who have cholesterol problems have ancestry with a very high cholesterol diet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    10 minutes? Blurgh.... I do 5 minutes for jumbo sized eggs and the yolks are just set. After 10 minutes they'd be well and truly dead!

Not so.

Cooking at a low boil (or simmer) for 10 mins is what Jaqque Pepin recommends and is what I do. The yolks come out semi soft and without a green tinge.

Just dump them into an ice water bath in the sink for 15 mins afterward, pre-crack but do not peel them, put them in a covered bowl of cold water in the frig and they'll keep for a week or more.

I do this with eggs graded large and extra large and they come out the same. Jumbos would come out even softer in the center and actually mind need a 1 or so more to properly set the yolk.

Do you stick them in already boiling water, or start from cold? I start mine from cold, and turn the pan off just as it boils, sticking the lid on at the same time...any more than 6 minutes and the yolks are too set
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of hard boiled eggs unless they're deviled. >:)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Eggs being bad for your cholesterol is an old wives tale. You can eat as many as you want. I eat about 18 a week or more. They are a good, healthy, cheap source of protein.

its not an old wives tale for those with hypercholesterolemia,those of us who have this have to watch our fat intake(keep it low) and keep saturated fats even lower
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »

Dietary cholesterol only impacts people who have genetic issues with hypercholesterolemia.

But maybe your body starts to develop problems like "hypercholesterolemia" for your future offspring? I don't know how those things work, but maybe people who have cholesterol problems have ancestry with a very high cholesterol diet.

hypercholesterolemia is called familial hypercholesterolemia,its caused by a genetic defect and it is hereditary,it has nothing to do with a high cholesterol diet our ancestors ate. our livers produce too much cholesterol and tells our brain to produce more. It cant process it properly so cholesterol and fats can be stored in our body.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »

Are you talking about genetic inheritance of acquired characteristics? That's a thoroughly discredited concept. See Lysenkoism.

If you're currently pregnant and concerned about your diet having an effect on the baby through secondary exposure, talk to your doctor.

Edited to fix typo.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Do you stick them in already boiling water, or start from cold? I start mine from cold, and turn the pan off just as it boils, sticking the lid on at the same time...any more than 6 minutes and the yolks are too set

I start with already boiling water which eliminates any variation in the temp from the start. Keep them at a low boil or simmer for 10 mins and then dump the water and toss the eggs in to the ice bath for 15 mins more. Done.

• ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love boiled eggs with pepper and a tiny bit of salt.
  • vkgiampaolo
    vkgiampaolo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eggs have been a big staple of my diet change. But I a streaky eater....so eat them a few days or a few weeks. http://ifunny.co/fun/MIgxiwhi4
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »
    Going to swap my smoked salmon and English muffin for a couple of devilled eggs now; thanks for reminding me of this awesome snack!

I LOVE deviled eggs!! I can't wait until Easter, so that I can eat them ALL. Bwahahahahaha!!!

Mmmm... I love smoked salmon with eggs!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the good advice. As far as I know my health is fine.

Do you have a medical reason to be low cholesterol?
    [/quote]

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    good ideas here! I like mine with hummus and /or hot sauce.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    i used to eat them almost every day until my curiosity came across some vegan documentaries about the egg/meat/dairy industry and now i just feel horribly guilty eating them.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I love hard boiled eggs. I eat 2 as an afternoon snack.

If you are worried about the source of your food, I recommend going to a local farmer's market and see what is grown/produced locally and with what methods.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I eat two large eggs a day. One hard boiled which I slice/dice up in a salad daily, and the other is straight up fried in about a tsp of butter and put on a multigrain muffin with some cheese and turkey sausage for breakfast every. single. day. Love it. No issues with cholesterol.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat three to five throughout the day. Especially if you're lifting weights or doing any strength training, I believe eggs are a great way to raise testosterone, get good fat and protein, and bag some decent nutrients as well. Just don't go ditching the yolk.

Best way to make hard-boiled eggs: place them in a pot of cool water; raise the temp to boiling; once boiling, cover with a lid, turn the heat off, set a timer for 10 minutes; rinse with water until you've stopped cooking and enjoy.

Because overcooked eggs suck. A lot.