April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I feel like running a loop like that would drive me crazy, but it's really a personal preference. In the past, on my really long runs I usually choose to run on a running path that I know has several water fountains along the way to refill my hydration belt if needed. I also will stash a water bottle with Gatorade next to the trail near where I park. I'll run north and back, refill my Gatorade, then south and back.

If you're planning to run from your house, another option might be to drive to your halfway point and stash a few water bottles along the way (in bushes, behind signs, etc). Then you can run from your car to your house and back and have several "water stops" along the way and if you realize you haven't brought enough when you reach your house you can pick up your hydration belt or something. Or just wear your hydration belt to begin with?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I feel like running a loop like that would drive me crazy, but it's really a personal preference. In the past, on my really long runs I usually choose to run on a running path that I know has several water fountains along the way to refill my hydration belt if needed. I also will stash a water bottle with Gatorade next to the trail near where I park. I'll run north and back, refill my Gatorade, then south and back.

If you're planning to run from your house, another option might be to drive to your halfway point and stash a few water bottles along the way (in bushes, behind signs, etc). Then you can run from your car to your house and back and have several "water stops" along the way and if you realize you haven't brought enough when you reach your house you can pick up your hydration belt or something. Or just wear your hydration belt to begin with?

Good ideas. Main reason I'm thinking about this is that, for hiking and slower trail running, all my trail running is slower than my road running by a bunch, I like my hydration belt, but I don't like how it bounces when I'm road running. Just a weird how it feels thing. Trying to see if I can get away without it for the marathon, and just carry my gels in my shorts pockets, since that doesn't bug me.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Good ideas. Main reason I'm thinking about this is that, for hiking and slower trail running, all my trail running is slower than my road running by a bunch, I like my hydration belt, but I don't like how it bounces when I'm road running. Just a weird how it feels thing. Trying to see if I can get away without it for the marathon, and just carry my gels in my shorts pockets, since that doesn't bug me.

I know how exactly how you feel. I really don't like wearing my hydration belt because of the bouncing and rarely being able to figure out how to adjust the tightness to be comfortable. I'll wear it when necessary, but it's never necessary in a race so I've never worn it in a race. I like my handheld water bottle much more and use that a lot more often. Another idea is if you have a running group in your area that does long runs and has water jugs out, you could try to run along their path. I know the running group in my area always sets out way more water than they need and they keep it out longer than needed because they don't care if the public uses it as well. That may not be a reliable solution though.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: April MTD (goal = 95)
    04/01/17 :::: 7.7 :::: 7.7
    04/02/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.2
    04/03/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 13.7
    04/04/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.7
    04/05/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 17.2
    04/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/09/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 20.6

Not a good week for running. I didn't have much time around the conference schedule and the weather was horrible, so it didn't motivate me to try to get something squeezed in. I was signed up to do a 5k as part of the convention but I scrapped it because it was cold, with a bit of a rain/snow mix - and it was completely run in the dark before sunrise. I had to be at a meeting at 7 (also before sunrise) and there was no way to make it all work. I was surprised though how hard it was for me to decide not to just try it.

Anyway, travel home was a nightmare involving cancelled flights and rebooking to another airport with a late night/early morning drive back home - so yesterday I was zombie so still didn't run. Today I had planned to finally do a longer run but ended up going in to work for longer than expected. I was almost going to skip another day altogether but the weather was so warm when I left my office and I was dressed to run - so I just went out for what I could.

I felt bad all week - like I was a quitter. I hope I can regroup this week! We're supposed to have some very warm weather for the next couple of days so should be inspiring.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't know why but I can't get my ticker to update. Oh well. I still have 14.2/40 miles for April.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 That all looks amazing and fun <3 Congrats!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I'm with @OSUbuckeye906 ...running a short loop like that would drive me insane. Everyone is different, so if it sets your mind at ease, go for it.

My hydration belt doesn't bounce at all. I do wear it pretty low on my hips...not on my waist, and I've had to fuss with the tightness here and there to get it right. Depending on what I'm wearing, sometimes it'll slide up occasionally, but it definitely doesn't bounce. I hardly notice it's there. I have a handheld bottle, but in the summer, i feel like it makes me hot.

During the marathon, I sometimes took water or gatorade from the tables and sometimes passed them up. I liked having my hydration belt on me, but many just rely on the on course hydration offered.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    10/04 - 4 mile Interval, Chest & triceps supersets, followed with Core

3 weeks to go till my first HM ... Next weekend reserved for helping out my Easter colleague delivering eggs

exercise.png

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    25/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:53:53
    Coming up:
    • 15/04 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 3)
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options

@MNLittleFinn I'd go insane running the same loop 8 times! I ran a race once where you had to do the same loop three times, and that was already slightly annoying. But if it doesn't annoy you, I guess you could...
    What I have done in summer for really hot long runs, where the water in my hydration pack was not enough, was to park my car somewhere in the middle of a "figure 8" route, so I could run the first half of the distance, refill the bottles at the car, then run the second half.

During the marathon last year, I simply walked at the aid stations. Maybe I lost a few seconds, but compared to the overall time it took me to run the distance, that mattered less to me than the comfort of drinking relaxed, without choking or spilling sticky energy drinks on myself. I'm planning to do the same this year.

And like @BeeerRunner, I like having a bit of water on me, instead of relying on the on course hydration - just in case... So I took my hydration pack with me, just with 0.5l instead of the 1.5l I take on long runs. I would have taken it anyway, I needed a way to transport a bit of food as well as my keys, wallet and phone (they offered transport of a gear bag from start to finish, but I didn't want to put any valuables in there).
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Date Activity __ Run dist (mi) __ Avg Pace (min/mi)
    1-Apr Joe & Sue Moore 5K __ 4.7 __ 7:15
    2-Apr run __ 8.5 __ 10:02
    3-Apr run/ hill intervals __ 10.1 __ 11:34
    4-Apr run __ 5 __ 9:20
    5-Apr yoga 60 min/ run __ 5.1 __ 9:37
    6-Apr rest __ __
    7-Apr run __ 5.1 __ 9:37
    8-Apr run __ 6.7 __ 10:26
    9-Apr run __ 6.6 __ 12:11
    10-Apr run __ 13.1 __ 8:59
    11-Apr yoga 60 min/ Lifting 30 min __ __

Goal (miles) 200
    left (miles) 135.1

2017 Races
    1/14/2017 Menchville Winter Chill 5K __ 22:12:00 1 AG 15 OA
    2/11/2017 Run for the Heart 10 mile __ 1:17:25 1 AG 12 OA
    2/18/2017 Gloucester 8K __ 35:05:00 1 AG 12 OA
    3/4/2017 Fort Eustis 10K __ 44:31:00 4 AG 18 OA
    4/1/2017 Joe & Sue Moore 5K __ 20:45 PR 1 AG 6 OA
    5/29/2017 Yorktown Freedom 8K
    6/3/2017 NASA Moonwalk 5k
    TBD Trailzilla 5 Miler
    7/29/2017 Coast Guard Day 5K
    8/19/2017 Smart Smiles 5K
    9/16/2017 Mulberry Island HM
    TBD Poquoson Run with the Bulls 5K
    TBD Yorktown Battlefield 10 miler
    TBD Run with the Son for Haiti 5K
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    April Running challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 44.6/100 km
    10/4/17 Run 11 km
    9/4/17 walk 7 km
    8/4/17 Run 3.8 km walk 2 km
    7/4/17 Run 7.4 km walk 3 km
    6/4/17 Run 8.4 km walk 9 km
    5/4/17 walk 9 km
    4/4/17 Run 7 km
    3/4/17 Run 7 km walk 6 km
    2/4/17 walk 3 km
    1/4/17 walk 7 km

Didn't even realize that I already done 10 km and kept running. Bonus 1 km. :smiley:

mustb60 wrote: »
    April Running challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 29.8/100 km
    7/4/17 Run 7.4 km walk 3 km
    6/4/17 Run 8.4 km walk 9 km
    5/4/17 walk 9 km
    4/4/17 Run 7 km
    3/4/17 Run 7 km walk 6 km
    2/4/17 walk 3 km
    1/4/17 walk 7 km

great job! keep at it!