How far do you drive to your gym?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    used to be 30 minutes when i worked from home. when i got a 'real' job i joined the gym thats in my town (my other one was in the totally opposite direction), and its about 10-15 min away and on my way to work.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For a while when I had a job that required commuting, I joined a gym that was near work but over an hour from my house. I would get there early in the morning before work, beating morning traffic. Now I'm working from home, and I go to a gym that is about 3 miles (5km) from my house.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    LVNF04 wrote: »
    Not far, because I don't go to one. I do all my exercise at home or outside.

I don't understand why people respond to a thread to state that they don't have the answer because it doesn't apply to them.
    Is it boredom? Is it loneliness? Is it superiority?

It's very strange.

I think it's part humblebrag and part people trying to project their beliefs/ideologies on others.

The most common one is when people ask for suggestions on protein powder/supplements. Inevitably, there will be several responses to the effect of "I don't need supplements because I eat REAL food."
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The closest gym is about 45 minute drive from me in another city. It is not on my way anywhere. I would be making the trip just to exercise. Drive 45 minutes, workout 30-60 minutes, drive home 45 minutes... too much time to do that day to day.

I exercise at home with no commute time and it works better for me.

I reply to give the perspective of someone in a small town who knows they will not consistently put the effort in to go somewhere that far away to exercise daily. If you don't mind the commute and love a gym environment go for it.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    About 10 miles and worth it!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    About 3 miles. Years ago I joined a gym that was about 25 minutes away and I never wanted to go because it was an all day ordeal to drive there, work out, then drive home. The closer the gym, the easier it is for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I walk the 200m door to door.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I am a member of the Y and there are several around the metro. The one I go to regularly is 15 miles from my house but only 1 mile from work so I go there before work. If I want to swim or do other certain exercises that they don't offer at my regular gym then I go to the downtown Y which is about 2 miles from work. On the weekends I use the Y closer to my house (or just run around my neighborhood), about a 10 minute drive. That's also the one that we enroll my son in for activities (track right now but we have to go to the local high school for track practice anyway.

If I were to use a gym more than 10 minutes from home or work, it better be the most fantastic gym in the world.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    At the moment I walk as far as my living room but prior to that I has a 2 minute walk to my gym. Before I moved to my current place I has a 15 min walk from home or work to the gym I was using. I don't think I have ever driven to the gym even when it was a couple of miles away.
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I live in a very small, rural town. Luckily, in the last year we opened a 24 hour gym that is less than a mile from my house.

Previously, I drove about 20 minutes to get to the gym.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

I don't understand why people respond to a thread to state that they don't have the answer because it doesn't apply to them.

It's very strange.

I think it's part humblebrag and part people trying to project their beliefs/ideologies on others.

The most common one is when people ask for suggestions on protein powder/supplements. Inevitably, there will be several responses to the effect of "I don't need supplements because I eat REAL food."

Truth.... There's always a home gym person responding to gym threads. We get it. You workout at home. Kudos.

I personally have to take a 30 to 45 minute bus ride to get to the gym. I don't drive. I live in NYC.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I live pretty rural, and have 3 different gym memberships. So, it depends. 10'ish miles for two, 15'ish miles for the third. Unless I'm coming from work instead of home. Then, about 7 for the 3rd, and about 18-20 for the other two.
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My gym is on my way home from work, so it's about a 20 minute drive. But then it's less than 10 minutes from home, so not bad on the weekends. There's a gym right across the road in the business park where I work and when I decided to join a gym I was considering it, but I'd never go on the weekends, plus I <3 my gym.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just walk downstairs in my house!!! Got everything I need right here... Bowflex, Total gym and weights!!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    About 0.4 miles. There's an LA Fitness pretty much around the corner from where I work. (along with a Catalyst Fitness and Fitness 19 further up on the same block).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would order a barbell, plate set, collars, bench, and rack long before I would ever drive more than 10 minutes to get to the gym.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options

It's very strange.

Truth.... There's always a home gym person responding to gym threads. We get it. You workout at home. Kudos.

I personally have to take a 30 to 45 minute bus ride to get to the gym. I don't drive. I live in NYC.

We used to live quite close to a gym, so we went there. Then we moved so that it was quite a long drive or bus ride to the gym. That got old pretty quick, so we looked around at other options. None really appealed to us, so we set up a small gym in our basement.

It just seemed like the logical, least expensive, and least time consuming thing to do. :)

I've gone to gyms and/or have had a home gym for 30 years ... both are good options, well worth considering.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

It's very strange.

We used to live quite close to a gym, so we went there. Then we moved so that it was quite a long drive or bus ride to the gym. That got old pretty quick, so we looked around at other options. None really appealed to us, so we set up a small gym in our basement.

It just seemed like the logical, least expensive, and least time consuming thing to do. :)

I've gone to gyms and/or have had a home gym for 30 years ... both are good options, well worth considering.

Kudos again.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    One gym I go to is about 2 miles from home and it is between work and home...close either way, the other is 7 miles away, but I only use that for the indoor pool. I did find a class I liked that was a half hour drive away that I was willing to drive to twice a week though.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I would order a barbell, plate set, collars, bench, and rack long before I would ever drive more than 10 minutes to get to the gym.

That's nice for you, but some of us, myself included, need to go to a gym. I live in an 800 sq ft house with absolutely no room for any gym equipment, and the list of equipment you have here wouldn't help me. I'm disabled and need to use the cable machines and dumbbells for my workout.