My parents are obsessed with trying to stop my weight loss

Options
My parents are obsessed with my weight at the moment and it's making me so frustrated my mum constantly says I am too thin and I need to stop losing weight and things like that and my dad just always agrees with whatever she says. I lost a lot of weight since last january about 22kg so I know it's a big change but she has been saying these things since I was BMI 27 and it's gotten a lot worse now I am just about BMI 22.

I am at a more healthy weight now than I have ever been and I have a small frame so I still think I want to lose a little more to be really happy with my size. How can I make her listen to me and understand and know it is my decision and that I am healthy and to stop constantly telling me what my body looks best like when it's not even hers?

Replies

• LaauraLoses
    LaauraLoses Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah I live with my parents so it's constant at the moment it's so frustrating if I say I don't want to talk about it she acuses me of not listening and she is only concerned and she doesn't want me to have an eating disorder and I probably already do because I don't want to talk to her and do what she says and I've tried telling her I am healthy and showing her my BMI and explaining what I eat and do and she just doesn't care she thinks that she has control off my body and not me and that if she thinks something looks better or I am too thin I just should do what she wants.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    OP how old are you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Im assuming you're still in high school?
    If so she is probably more worried that your peers are the ones pressuring you to lose weight.
    Like others said your parents only push you on this cause they care about you.
    Go get a physical done at your physicians office. Worst case scenario your mom is able to say "see you're at a healthy weight" but that would also be best case scenario.
    You'd rather your doctor say you're healthy than not.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Honestly, you're probably not going to change their mind without some kind of notarized medical slip that says "I'm healthy", especially if they're overweight themselves. For them to accept that you're healthy would mean that they'd also have to accept that they're probably not, and some crabs would just rather pull you back into the bucket.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Is last January 2017 or 2016?
    allyphoe wrote: »
    How old are you, and did you lose the 22kg since January 2017 (~15 pounds a month) or since January 2016 (~3 pounds a month).

As a mom, I would be concerned if my teenage daughter had lost nearly 50 pounds in a little more than 3 months. I would not be nearly as concerned if my 30yo daughter had lost nearly 50 pounds over 15 months.

Also, are you sure you're doing the BMI math right? You have to be quite tall for a 22kg loss to only be a 5 point change in BMI.

What if your teenage daughter lost 22 kg in 1 year 3 months and still had a BMI around the midpoint of the normal range?
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Maybe your mom will be willing to go see a nutritionist with you, if she doesn't trust doctors? Sometimes change is hard for people and your weight loss may be bringing up stuff that your mom is dealing with - it may have nothing to do with you at all. You've been at this for over a year and it sounds like you've have some stead success. Keep up the good work and maybe try re-directing the comments about your weight to comments about the health benefits. For example, if your mom says that you're losing too much weight, tell her how much easier running that 5k is going to be on your knees or heart!
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart.. it sounds like your mom is just a stubborn woman. Not necessarily a bad thing. You're 18 and have the right to make changes to your body. I think as long as you aren't starving yourself and you're making natural changes then you are fine.
This discussion has been closed.