My parents are obsessed with trying to stop my weight loss

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I am always reluctant about these threads, because I remember one where the OP was complaining about everyone in her life trying to get her to stop, and people giving all kinds of advice, and then when the OP's stats were finally cajoled out of her, it turned out she was already underweight and striving to be dangerously underweight. In other words, her parents and the people in her life were right, but she was deep in the throes of her eating disorder and couldn't see it.
    I remember one like that too.

Or underage.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As annoying as it is, it is a mom's job to worry. She may be wrong but given all of the eating disorder information we have today, I don't think she nuts for being concerned.

As long as you are truly losing weight in a healthy way, staying within a healthy BMI range, and you aren't basing your happiness on the number on the scale, there might not be much you can do other than try your best to ignore her.

You can present the facts to her until you're blue in the face and she may never accept it or believe you.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on distraction, if you can get her interested in something else it may help, good luck
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Parents worry. That's their job. Maybe give weight loss a break for a while to give your skin time to tighten up, so they won't worry as much.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    You can't change your mom. You can only change the way you react to your mom. The two of you can't have an argument if you're not holding up your end. So you respond, "thanks, mom, I appreciate your concern, but I've explained to you that I'm at a healthy weight, and I don't see what can be accomplished by talking about it anymore." If she continues, you have a choice of just not responding at all, responding by talking about something else, or leaving the room.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and my mum voiced her concerns when i was 20lbs into my 30lb loss. I was only overweight for a few years, i weighed less than i do now in my 20's and 30's, how quickly they forget...

I fibbed and just told her i had stopped trying to lose weight and am maintaining when ever she started in on the weight loss talk.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    get your dr to say you are healthy. . sometimes moms have to hear it from a professional to get them to see that their child is ok.

That's what I was going to say!
This discussion has been closed.