I'm afraid of being stronger than men.

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Generally speaking pound for pound when you factor in identical training, a man will have more muscle mass and be stronger.

Sure, once you equalize training. But I guarantee some women are stronger than some men. When I met her, my wife could bench 275-300. I couldn't top 100. I could finish 400m at least 20 seconds faster than her, and a 5k 15:00+.

That said, I'm not getting into the OPs issues

Did your wife and you weigh the same and start training at the same time? If not, the argument is basically the same as stating you guarantee some woman have more hair on their chest then some men. It's doesn't dispute my point I was making.

Btw, good bench #.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking pound for pound when you factor in identical training, a man will have more muscle mass and be stronger.

Sure, once you equalize training. But I guarantee some women are stronger than some men. When I met her, my wife could bench 275-300. I couldn't top 100. I could finish 400m at least 20 seconds faster than her, and a 5k 15:00+.

Did your wife and you weigh the same and start training at the same time? If not, the argument is basically the same as stating you guarantee some woman have more hair on their chest then some men. It's doesn't dispute my point I was making.

Btw, good bench #.

Right?!? I'm super jealous.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Here's another thought: Men are not automatically stronger or have more muscle mass than women. On AVERAGE a man will have more, but there are lots of individual variation.

So you will be stronger than some men. You are stronger than a bedridden man right now anyway.

That thought is incorrect. Why do you think they have seperate event in competitions? Generally speaking pound for pound when you factor in identical training, a man will have more muscle mass and be stronger.

It has to do with genetics and testosterone. Just like woman can bust out RPE10 set and come back after slight rest and repeat the all-out set not once but several times. While a man doing a RPE10 will be wiped and cannot do more than one set.

We are built different. If you look at the elite female/male athletes, they are genetically built different as well from their gender pool.

On a competitive level, after puberty men and women generally compete separately in sports. (Although there are examples like archery and equestrian events in which this is not the case_. And yes, it's because of different make-up.

But if you are talking just Average Joe and Jane, there is a huge variation. Even those that work out regularly. And individuals vary greatly. A woman can certainly be stronger than a given man.

Even then, "strength" is a broad term. There are many ways to be strong. You can measure it by pure weightlifting ability, or by being able to hold a squat for a certain length of time, or be on pointe in ballet dance or kick force in swimming. But an elite athlete tends to specialize in a certain type of ability. The swimmer will fail miserably in terms of strength needed to do ballet, for instance. But is she strong? Certainly.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    xtxtxtx wrote: »
    Are there no men at your gym? They lift, don't they? :)

If you associate with like minded people, with similar hobbies, you'll meet people who enjoy similar things to you. Perhaps join a different gym with a focus on powerlifting or bodybuilding...

Or, get the guy you like in to training. I know plenty of couples who train together, and one of the pair has started because of the other. I started training because my now husband did...

I never know how to approach the guys at the gym. They're busy working out I don't wanna bother them :/ heh..:/

As much as I would like to find someone who took an interest in diet/nutrition/exercise similar to me, I have had no luck finding such a person.
    But good luck with your search, you being female, you may have far better luck than a guy would....certainly more than I have had.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Here's another thought: Men are not automatically stronger or have more muscle mass than women. On AVERAGE a man will have more, but there are lots of individual variation.

So you will be stronger than some men. You are stronger than a bedridden man right now anyway.

That thought is incorrect. Why do you think they have seperate event in competitions? Generally speaking pound for pound when you factor in identical training, a man will have more muscle mass and be stronger.

It has to do with genetics and testosterone. Just like woman can bust out RPE10 set and come back after slight rest and repeat the all-out set not once but several times. While a man doing a RPE10 will be wiped and cannot do more than one set.

We are built different. If you look at the elite female/male athletes, they are genetically built different as well from their gender pool.

On a competitive level, after puberty men and women generally compete separately in sports. (Although there are examples like archery and equestrian events in which this is not the case_. And yes, it's because of different make-up.

But if you are talking just Average Joe and Jane, there is a huge variation. Even those that work out regularly. And individuals vary greatly. A woman can certainly be stronger than a given man.

Even then, "strength" is a broad term. There are many ways to be strong. You can measure it by pure weightlifting ability, or by being able to hold a squat for a certain length of time, or be on pointe in ballet dance or kick force in swimming. But an elite athlete tends to specialize in a certain type of ability. The swimmer will fail miserably in terms of strength needed to do ballet, for instance. But is she strong? Certainly.

Yet just about every world record there is for speed including swimming a female is 90% of the males speed record.

I would never say a female isn't strong. I've trained women, I've been part of selecting woman to represent the US in baseball. I've even recently catched a game for a female baseball team from Australia.

Yes woman can be strong, just generally speaking males have the ability to have more muscles and be stronger.

• Chieflrg
    Options

Btw, good bench #.

Right?!? I'm super jealous.

Yes, Jen Thompson-esque ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The *kitten* would you care?

I'm sorry- being strongest version of your self is way more important than what people think.
    Rephrase your thoughts. "I'm afraid of being the best version of myself that I can be because of what other people might think." It sounds kinda silly when you put it like that, doesn't it?
    Exactly. this- this is true.

hysterically my hubs actually doesn't lift at all- there is no question I am flat out stronger than him. He still loves me and doesn't care.

You'll be fine. stop worrying about what other people think.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My gym is pretty small, the men around my age who lift there generally say they are there to "get them off the couch" and are not competitive (so not powerlifters, basically regular people who enjoy going to the gym). I will never be as strong as them, they bench press more than I squat.
    I imagine when I ask for a spot they might think "wow I've never seen a girl at this gym lift that much" but it's nowhere near what they lift lol.

^ And I'd have to agree, asking for a spot can be a good way to strike up a conversation. Or ask if they're done using something, a question about their training, etc. It's pretty much the same as talking to men who aren't at the gym, except sweatier.

My husband doesn't lift and I do, but I'll gladly take him to the store with so he can carry the dog food and carry all the groceries in the house. :D

I had no idea you were married. I don't ever recall you mentioning this before.

eta: Not that I think you need to tell anyone - just kinda funny that I've seen you post for a while and today had a "wait, what?" moment.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am reminded of a time when I belonged to a gym. I'd been going for at least 6 months, working out steadily, increasing my weights, and feeling good about my strength. One day the trainer was working with a skinny grasshopper of a guy near me, no obvious visible muscle, and Mr. Skinny was starting out with heavier weights than I had achieved in my months of dedicated weight lifting.
  • CarlySupertramp
    CarlySupertramp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for a few years, and I have dated a *lot*...

Firstly, only *insecure* men will care if you are physically stronger than them. Several guys I have dated thought it was cool. They did not feel like their masculinity was threatened by the fact that I could carry the heavier box when we were moving things, for example. I think a relationship is like a partnership, and situationally we each have something to bring to the table when a problem arises... maybe he is better at math, maybe I am the one who can change the tire... It usually ends up balancing out. I have even dated men who were more emotional and soft than me, and I enjoyed the support they were able to give.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    My gym is pretty small, the men around my age who lift there generally say they are there to "get them off the couch" and are not competitive (so not powerlifters, basically regular people who enjoy going to the gym). I will never be as strong as them, they bench press more than I squat.
    I imagine when I ask for a spot they might think "wow I've never seen a girl at this gym lift that much" but it's nowhere near what they lift lol.

^ And I'd have to agree, asking for a spot can be a good way to strike up a conversation. Or ask if they're done using something, a question about their training, etc. It's pretty much the same as talking to men who aren't at the gym, except sweatier.

My husband doesn't lift and I do, but I'll gladly take him to the store with so he can carry the dog food and carry all the groceries in the house. :D

eta: Not that I think you need to tell anyone - just kinda funny that I've seen you post for a while and today had a "wait, what?" moment.

September ;) so I'm still fresh meat. It's why there was a good 6 months I really wasn't on the forums- I was still logging - but I wasn't really posting. I was sort of doing that whole "plan a giant expensive party" thing.

It's still weird to say "husband"- I'm not used to it at all. But yep- old married and irrelevant/off the old meat market.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

September ;) so I'm still fresh meat. It's why there was a good 6 months I really wasn't on the forums- I was still logging - but I wasn't really posting. I was sort of doing that whole "plan a giant expensive party" thing.

It's still weird to say "husband"- I'm not used to it at all. But yep- old married and irrelevant/off the old meat market.

I think he meant me haha. :D

I think I've mentioned it before on threads like "my significant other isn't into fitness/etc" type posts? I tend to try and keep my personal life off the interwebs though. ;)
    Like I said he doesn't lift and is not into fitness-y stuff at all so I guess he doesn't come up when it comes to lifting posts haha. (We don't really eat together very often either. He lives on cheese and ramen noodles by choice and I guess that's fine lol.) He loves to remind me that he will always kick my butt when it comes to things like pull ups and non-gym lifting. Gym stuff comes down to skill and practice in a lot of ways. He would probably be great at strongman type stuff if he was interested.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i can see not wanting to be with pee wee herman but not all men who dont lift are weak.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I think I've mentioned it before on threads like "my significant other isn't into fitness/etc" type posts? I tend to try and keep my personal life off the interwebs though. ;)
    Like I said he doesn't lift and is not into fitness-y stuff at all so I guess he doesn't come up when it comes to lifting posts haha. (We don't really eat together very often either. He lives on cheese and ramen noodles by choice and I guess that's fine lol.) He loves to remind me that he will always kick my butt when it comes to things like pull ups and non-gym lifting. Gym stuff comes down to skill and practice in a lot of ways. He would probably be great at strongman type stuff if he was interested.

OMG- BAW HA HA HA HA- you're right- I totally skimmed back to make sure I didn't read it wrong- and man- I was wrong. I did look again at "husband" since I normally say hubs.
    SNORT!
    that's hysterical. whoops.

BUT- ironically I have a similar problem- mine doesn't workout- but he's annoying b/c he used to do MT and if we scrap he always beats me- it's super annoying. He lives on chicken fingers and fries. #stabby.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

OMG- BAW HA HA HA HA- you're right- I totally skimmed back to make sure I didn't read it wrong- and man- I was wrong. I did look again at "husband" since I normally say hubs.
    SNORT!

BUT- ironically I have a similar problem- mine doesn't workout- but he's annoying b/c he used to do MT and if we scrap he always beats me- it's super annoying. He lives on chicken fingers and fries. #stabby.

Hahaha... You're good :p
    We'll be married two years in August and we've been together over 5 years. (that makes me feel old!!!)
    "Husband" is still a weird phrase. I was never really one to say things like "my boyfriend" either (I'm not sure I ever even referred to him that way... Maybe I'm a big kitten :| ) He's just always been my "person."

The other day I was telling him about how I'm going to clean up my diet and I bought a rice cooker etc. and literally all he had to say was "I like rice." :D lol. (AKA "good for you, I support this" lol)

Now I want chicken fingers!! :'(
    ETA I apologize for excessive emojis. I realize I have a problem...
  • JoRocka
    Options

SNORT!

We'll be married two years in August and we've been together over 5 years. (that makes me feel old!!!)
    "Husband" is still a weird phrase. I was never really one to say things like "my boyfriend" either (I'm not sure I ever even referred to him that way... Maybe I'm a big kitten :| ) He's just always been my "person."

The other day I was telling him about how I'm going to clean up my diet and I bought a rice cooker etc. and literally all he had to say was "I like rice." :D lol. (AKA "good for you, I support this" lol)

I never got over "fiancé" - we skipped that- BF took a good year or two to settle in- and even still sometimes I bypass saying it- I introduced him as "this is First Name" (no title or association) for like a year.
    We just tipped 6.5 years for us- I'm going to be excited when we hit 10- not sure why- but I am.

mhmmm rice- rice is nommy- I never eat it though- to expensive.

Chicken fingers are also super nommy- I usually filtch half of one of his- but we are massive steak eaters- so he hasn't gotten them in a while. I'm pretty sure that's all he eats at work. LMAO We are long distance and don't have overlapping schedules- we are usually 2 ships passing all the time- so I get one main meal with him a week. Thankfully leaves me to meal prep for myself (he doesn't eat my food at all- he's not big on left overs).
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    xtxtxtx wrote: »
    I'm female obviously. I recently started strength training after making tons of excuses not to haha. Guess what? I love it!!! LOVE it! It feels great and I'm looking great, and I love the whole lifestyle!
    However, I do have this nagging fear of like, being stronger than men. Wouldn't that severely limit my dating pool? Because personally, I wouldn't want to date a man weaker than me. The guy I'm currently somewhat interested in doesn't have any muscle and I feel like now that I'm into lifting squatting and pressing, he's pretty much off the table. I feel like I need a guy who lifts, but I don't know ANY. What should I do?
    PS I know people will call me superficial but I can't help but love a big strong man. it's some primal instinct in me.

I'm not alone in this, but fit women with some muscle is hot.

I'm not talking extreme bodybuilding physiques, which only a small % of the population achieves anyways.

More importantly, you're going to attract people with similar interests and goals at the same time.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

SNORT!

I never got over "fiancé" - we skipped that- BF took a good year or two to settle in- and even still sometimes I bypass saying it- I introduced him as "this is First Name" (no title or association) for like a year.
    We just tipped 6.5 years for us- I'm going to be excited when we hit 10- not sure why- but I am.

Chicken fingers are also super nommy- I usually filtch half of one of his- but we are massive steak eaters- so he hasn't gotten them in a while. I'm pretty sure that's all he eats at work. LMAO We are long distance and don't have overlapping schedules- we are usually 2 ships passing all the time- so I get one main meal with him a week. Thankfully leaves me to meal prep for myself (he doesn't eat my food at all- he's not big on left overs).

Yeah, could never get my head round "fiancé". And we didn't get married until we were well into our 30s, so 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend' always seemed a bit silly too.

He lifts, I run. Which is fine cuz he can carry all the heavy shopping, and I can out-run him if we get chased by a bear while out hiking. A win-win in my eyes.

And now I've got chicken fingers on the brain and my egg salad doesn't look very appetizing all of a sudden.
  • JoRocka
    Options

SNORT!

Yeah, could never get my head round "fiancé". And we didn't get married until we were well into our 30s, so 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend' always seemed a bit silly too.

He lifts, I run. Which is fine cuz he can carry all the heavy shopping, and I can out-run him if we get chased by a bear while out hiking. A win-win in my eyes.

And now I've got chicken fingers on the brain and my egg salad doesn't look very appetizing all of a sudden.
    yep- I am now 33- so 32 when we did the thing- saying boyfriend sounded very childish. which- hysterically we ARE very childish- but still. usually it was "this is the man, First Name". BF/GF sounds silly- but meh- the conventions we have are as such- so whatever.
    that guy I sleep with regularly seems to personal for most people ;)

I like your tactic- outrun him when the bears/zombies come- and make him carry groceries- sounds like a definite winwin!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    This thread has inspired me to challenge my wife to a powerlifting competition.

I'll let you know how it goes.