Vitamins or pills to help stay regular!

Options
Yes... I asked!

Does anyone take anything to help them GO regularly. I have always had issues with this and anything to help would be great. Healthy eating has helped a bit but still have issues. Thanks.

Replies

• kyoung314
    kyoung314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started taking a magnesium supplement every day. The brand is Natural Vitality and the bottle says Natural Calm. I used to not go for 2 weeks at a time sometimes and since I've started taking this I go 3 times a day. It's just straight magnesium. I love it. You can get it at meijer
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Relying on laxatives is a bad idea. Eat more fat and fiber. Drink some coffee. Use natural methods before you jump to using pills.
  • HGarcia1527
    HGarcia1527 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No magnesium for me. I know too many people who take it and get terrible rashes that look like open wounds on top of medical issues. Terrifies me. Thanks for all the advise though everyone
  • HGarcia1527
    Options
    To drink coffee every morning. I drinks tons of water everyday. I have a high fiber intake. I know what I am doing the natural way and it has helped make me go once a day or almost once a day but I can never complete a full cleanse and feel bloated.
  • HGarcia1527
    Options
    I not to
  • HGarcia1527
    Options
    Drink not drinks. My goodness I can't type today
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have IBS so sometimes I have problems even when getting adequate fibre, water and exercise. I take magnesium citrate to help. Fruit can help as well. I definitely try not to take laxatives very often but will periodically take one with a stimulant to help increase the natural contractions. The feeling of not being completely empty after going can be an indicator of other issues. It might be worth discussing it with your doctor.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Start taking probiotics. Also, you can't take what happens to people and apply it to you. My wife takes magnesium and has never had a breakout or anything. And considering magnesium plays a huge role in health, I wouldn't through it out.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No magnesium for me. I know too many people who take it and get terrible rashes that look like open wounds on top of medical issues. Terrifies me. Thanks for all the advise though everyone

I've been in the natural realm of life for many years and have NEVER heard of this amongst any of my health groups, friends, etc. Something sounds "off" to me with this. When I look in my health books and even online the only time it appears magnesium causes any sort of rash is if there is an allergic reaction to the magnesium itself or an allergic reaction to one of the additives they use to make the capsules/tablets (like mag stearate, etc).

Magnesium and digestive enzymes are two of the biggest reasons people get constipated. Up to 400mgs of mag a day can be very helpful in keeping the bowels moving. And some people even require 600mg for that to happen (depending on how lacking they are in mag). The other thing to try is a digestive enzyme like BioGest. Not all enzymes are created equal. We found A LOT that don't work in our house and one that does. BioGest is the only one that worked for my crew. Enzymes work by helping the body break food down better/more fully thus helping the bowels move better. A lot of people think their digestion is fine but anyone that is dealing with constipation or diarrhea (outside of having a medical disorder that causes them) likely needs digestive enzymes. So, if you're unwilling to give mag a try, then try something like BioGest by Thorne and see if that helps. It will take approx. a week when trying either of these to get a good idea if they are helping.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has this problem. His solution is coffe. Mine, is copious smounts of veg. Look at my diary (it's open,) if you want to see the veg ,ethos. Or just drink coffee. Lol whatever floats your bost.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    kyoung314 wrote: »
    I started taking a magnesium supplement every day. The brand is Natural Vitality and the bottle says Natural Calm. I used to not go for 2 weeks at a time sometimes and since I've started taking this I go 3 times a day. It's just straight magnesium. I love it. You can get it at meijer

I'm on this one also. LOVE it. I've never been so regular. I don't know what kind of magnesium the people you know have taken, but I know of no one that that ever happened to. Magnesium is so important to health. You may want to reconsider. I highly doubt your skin is going to break down into open wounds.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Raspberries. Low in cals and high in fibre
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The Natural Vitality magnesium is what I use too. About 2 teaspoons at night a little before bed, mixed with a cup of water. (The label says to work your way up to that amount- I started with like half a teaspoon.) So far, I have not noticed any side effects. The lemon/raspberry one is fairly tasty, if you prefer to have some flavor.

Also, aiming for 25-30 grams of fiber/day seems to really help as well. So, basically what others have already said. I think that most people have to just figure out what works for their body, as we are all made up differently. My husband doesn't track anything he consumes, and rarely has an 'issues.' haha.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    kyoung314 wrote: »

I'm on this one also. LOVE it. I've never been so regular. I don't know what kind of magnesium the people you know have taken, but I know of no one that that ever happened to. Magnesium is so important to health. You may want to reconsider. I highly doubt your skin is going to break down into open wounds.

Mine is being delivered today as I also have issues. My normal fiber intake is well over 25 g and I drink 12+ cups of water (per MFP sizes) plus taking Benefiber to supplement and it actually got worse when I started losing weight because, as someone mentioned, my fat intake went down. I fixed that and it got a bit better but still not where I want it. Read about the Natural Calm on another post about the same thing and ordered it immediately. Can wait to try it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has this problem. His solution is coffe. Mine, is copious smounts of veg. Look at my diary (it's open,) if you want to see the veg ,ethos. Or just drink coffee. Lol whatever floats your bost.

Too much veg (and fibre) has the opposite effect on me!

OP, coffee helps me, as well as another vote for magnesium
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Yes... I asked!

Does anyone take anything to help them GO regularly. I have always had issues with this and anything to help would be great. Healthy eating has helped a bit but still have issues. Thanks.

I discovered fiber gummies a couple of years ago after I had a surgery. 2 gummies only add 5g a day, but for me that is just enough to make my daily fiber goal and have absolutely no worries about being "regular". My mom and sister also take them daily - we are a fiber gummy family! :p
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the magnesium. I've had doctor's recommend it for my joint issues as well. I've never heard of anyone getting a rash from it, it's definitely not the norm, and it's probably an allergic reaction. I've had chronic constipation issues since I was a baby and I take 400mg in the morning, about an hour before breakfast. Works like a charm.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am exactly like you... I was never regular, I would go days without going. I chalked it up to eating so crappy. When I started this healthier lifestyle, I did see some changes but still not going every day like they say we should even though I was eating more fiber, healthy fats etc. I spoke with my dr. and she told me I could take a Metamucil tablet to help. I literally just started that this week and while the bottle says to says to take a bazillion pills daily I have been taking 3 pills right before bed and by the next morning I am ready to go. I never thought I felt constipated before but now that I have been going daily, I do feel soo much better. Mind of matter who knows either way I like it =) LOL Good luck!
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Water, fiber and probiotics (good ones that are refrigerated) and good (low sugar) yogurt with active cultures.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why docs push fiber so much. Yes, it can be somewhat helpful, but fiber will often stop people up worse. Increasing fats in your diet and adding mag and/or enzymes (if needed) will avoid potential fiber stop up issues.