The Many benefits of one meal a day!!

pbutter07
pbutter07 Posts: 39 Member
edited April 2017 in Motivation and Support
I started eating one meal a day a few days ago. I tell you all it takes is a MADE UP MIND. I'm already down 12 pounds and it hasn't even been a full week yet. I'm more energetic! I just passed my mid term with flying colors! It's such a healthy lifestyle change, and I found out about it from The Honorable Elijah Muhammad in his book called "How to eat to live"!

[post edited by MFP moderators]

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    How many calories do you think you are consuming now?
  • pbutter07
    I've been eating about 1000 calories in my meals. But they're healthy calories. I have beans, fruit, avocados, whole wheat bread, salad, stuff like that for my meal. I break my fast at 4pm. I sit down and pray before eating, and I really take my time with my meal, because it's my gift to my body for the day
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Whatever works for you but I will stick to my 5 meals a day. I never get hungry this way.
  • pbutter07
    Earl, I hear ya. Different strokes for different folks. But if you do a little bit of research the lining of the stomach gets severely worn out by eating so many meals a day. It causes a lot of health problems. So eating one meal a day is not only beneficial for losing weight. It benefits you overall.
  • pbutter07
    Cathipa, I'm definitely not an expert. Just someone on a journey wanting to share my experience thus far. So please, miss me with the hating. Why do people get so negative? Lol!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Eating one meal a day has worked well for me...It takes that worry out of my day. I do count calories because I can pack a lotta calories into one meal consumed with a protein shake. I might be concerned about my muscle mass if I lost 12lbs in just a couple of days, tho.
  • pbutter07
    Mother, that may be true. I'm not there on my journey yet though. How long have you been eating one meal a day?
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    I have one proper meal a day, and two shakes, and maybe a couple of snacks. I'd be starving way too often if I only consumed calories at one point during the day. And the "eating food often wears out the stomach" stuff sounds very science-light. At best.
  • pbutter07
    Usm , thank you very much for the advice! I eat a lot of navy beans and lentils so it fills me pretty quickly, hence the lower amount of calories. I'm excited to see what the second week brings as far as weight loss and energy. Maybe you'll tune back in for an update to see if ive still lost just as much weight ☺
  • pbutter07
    edited April 2017
    Golbat, to each his own. It's funny how doctors try to advise us on how many times to eat a day, yet they live just as long as we do, or sometimes an even shorter life span. My one meal a day was advice from someone who not only practices it themselves, but many others practice it as well. I've seen the benefits with my own eyes. So I'll be going with my one meal a day, and you do you! Does that sound science-light as well?
  • pbutter07
    Round of applause for Golbat!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I'll stick around to see how this goes for you long term, but first I have some questions:

Weight:
    Activity level:
    Exercise:

Knowing these now and then again in a few months can really help gauge your progress. 12 pounds in a week for someone with 100 pounds to lose is normal. 12 pounds in a week for someone with 20 pounds to lose is dangerous.
  • pbutter07
    I love love love how people like to TRY to shut you down, because they are unhappy within themselves. It's a sad sad world we live in today. But hey, I'm in good company because they did it to Jesus as well ☺

I'd like to inspire whomever I can with my one meal a day journey. Nay-sayers, go find some happiness would ya.
  • pbutter07
    So yeah I'll be posting every Tuesday with honest progress! I hope this inspired someone. I sure am motivated and inspired myself!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    pbutter07 wrote: »
    So yeah I'll be posting every Tuesday with honest progress! I hope this inspired someone. I sure am motivated and inspired myself!!!

What's your starting weight at least? This isn't a hater question or trying to shoot you down. It's to see what progress you've made from week to week.