Lunchtable for the nerdy (warning: only nerdy people allowed)

Options

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I've never read Star Wars books or Harry Potter...just saw the movies. I prefer sci-fi and "horror".

I liked reading encyclopedias when I was a kid and still enjoy reading dictionaries.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I've never read Star Wars books or Harry Potter...just saw the movies. I prefer sci-fi and "horror".

I liked reading encyclopedias when I was a kid and still enjoy reading dictionaries.

How about the Dark Tower? Can we veer off in that direction? Obviously there are only 2 LOTR fans here! :-)

Even I can't imagine a discussion of an encyclopedia...
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options

How about the Dark Tower? Can we veer off in that direction? Obviously there are only 2 LOTR fans here! :-)

Yes! I read all the books a few years ago. I hope the movie is as awesome.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I haven't read or watched the Dark Tower yet. It's on my list of books to read.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    What about playing video games...?

nerd

Mwz1z.gif

I found home.
  • Vikka_V
    Options

captbklee wrote: »

I have not read the Dark Tower series, I just looked it up tho and it looks interesting. I am looking for something to read, thanks for the recommendation :smile:
  • cee134
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »

I have no idea what that is

The Dark Tower is an upcoming 2017 American science fantasy Western horror film directed and co-written by Nikolaj Arcel, based on the series of novels of the same name by Stephen King.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    I always liked the radical Bellatrix I had pictured in my mind much more than the Helena portrayal...

But she still did well...

I blame the director and producer for the movies... The actors can only be blamed for so much... They really are just carrying out the vision of the director and producer

The trendy appearance of the movies just ruined them...

Plus in the books... Harry Potter is not the goody two shoes the movies turned him into

Ehhhhh I kinda hated HBC as Bellatrix. Too obvious. And WTF were they doing casting Michael Gambon as Dumbledore? Such a horrible replacement after Richard Harris passed. :|

Yea the he sucked lol...

I always thought Bellatrix needed a pair of glasses with tape in the middle... I pictured a retro Berkeley radical

Not a Gothic emo chik

I also teared up when I read, "Here lies Dobby, a free Elf"

R-I-P-Dobby-harry-potter-28501785-500-209-1426692215.gif?quality=.8&height=209&width=500

tenor.gif

59x2pl5f90d6.gif
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Having read the blurbs and trailer announcements for the upcoming movie, I have to say I'm a little skeptical, but I will try to keep an open mind. As usual, the movie in my head as I read the books can never be realized on the big screen.

I would highly recommend the Dark Tower series to anyone who loves a good read!
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
    I liked lor, never read the books but the movies were good..

Frodo was such a weak character though, it nearly ruined the movies for me. Mm
  • cee134
    Options

Having read the blurbs and trailer announcements for the upcoming movie, I have to say I'm a little skeptical, but I will try to keep an open mind. As usual, the movie in my head as I read the books can never be realized on the big screen.

I can safely say, lower your expectations of the movie. I had to do with with all the new star wars movies, and even then it took another couple times before I enjoyed the movies.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm hiding behind a computer screen for this, so nobody can throw rocks at me, but I thought the movie Starship Troopers was bad*kitten*! All follow-on movies were terrible. Obviously, the book was great.
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
    Has anyone read the Old Man's War series?
    I've heard good things about it...
  • JstTheWayIam
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I may lose my nerd pass for this but...

I thought the movie Dune was Dumb
    Riding on the snakes was just... Dumb
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    OMG my peeps!!!

Star Wars LOTR RPGs (CoC 5th edition D&D)... Hmmm.... Harry Potter Walking Dead....

More of a literature nerd than math and science actually.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Im with you on the books and movies

Im reading the Anita Blake Vampire hunter series ..the first 5 have been great
  • naelliving
    naelliving Posts: 94 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Nerd pr0n.

One of the props that were used for the close-ups in the LOTR movies.
    f7ujv7geaq5o.jpg

@cee134 *squeal* omg I wanna touch it!
    Awesomeness
  • naelliving
    naelliving Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I liked lor, never read the books but the movies were good..

Frodo was such a weak character though, it nearly ruined the movies for me. Mm

I grew up on these books. I think I've read them at least ten times. They are far better than the movies. However, I thought the movies were well done considering the amount of material they had to cover.
    But yes, I agree, Frodo was a little too weak for my taste as well.
  • Vikka_V
    Options

Im with you on the books and movies

Im reading the Anita Blake Vampire hunter series ..the first 5 have been great

Cool, thanks for the recommendation! :smile: