The Many benefits of one meal a day!!

Replies

• pbutter07
    pbutter07 Posts: 39 Member
    Yes ma'am! I'll be back next week with results, and the week after that, and so on until I reach my goal. Anyone who wants to watch my progress is welcomed to do so.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    pbutter07 wrote: »
    Yes ma'am! I'll be back next week with results, and the week after that, and so on until I reach my goal. Anyone who wants to watch my progress is welcomed to do so.

Okay, but what's your starting weight?
  • pbutter07
    My goal weight is 175
  • pbutter07
    New meadow thank you so much for that information. I am checking it out right now :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited April 2017
    My starting weight was 240. As of now I'm down to 228.

Okay, so losing 12 pounds in a week is fairly normal. 1,000 calories at that body weight is not enough though. You could easily be at 1600 even without exercise and be losing at a fairly rapid pace.
  • pbutter07
    Thank you so much Jaroby! You are AWESOME!
  • pbutter07
    31 shines definitely give it a shot! I'll support and motivate you along the way as much as possible. But when you Make up your mind, you are UNSTOPPABLE!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited April 2017
    jaroby wrote: »
    I started eating one meal a day a few days ago. I tell you all it takes is a MADE UP MIND. I'm already down 12 pounds and it hasn't even been a full week yet. I'm more energetic! I just passed my mid term with flying colors! It's such a healthy lifestyle change, and I found out about it from The Honorable Elijah Muhammad in his book called "How to eat to live"!
    [post edited by MFP moderators]

You should look up Dr. Fung. There is actually a TON of very reliable research about how the body benefits from having a break from digestion. Reguardless of how it enables a person to stick to a calorie deficit. A body in fasted state reduces insulin. Dr. Fung prescribes intermittent fasting to his obese patients with type 2 diabetes and kidney failure. Many of them are cured of type 2 diabetes and off all meds fairly quickly.

Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat book also shares the research on fasting.

Btw, I didn't read the entire thread, but I noticed a bunch of comments about OMAD being "science light." Go read up on the research that has been done on the body in the fasted state. The benefits are many and backed by reliable science. I started with watching interviews with Dr. Fung and also Brad Pilon on YouTube. Next time someone called it "science light" you can point them to some websites with the references that prove otherwise :-D

losing weight from being a caloric deficit has helped people get off meds and reverse their diabetes. its not curable though. it can come back if you regain the weight.if you have kidney failure its not usually curable ,you can get dialysis and hope it goes into a type of remission, or get a transplant.(my mother in law had failing kidneys,the dialysis didnt work and she didnt get a transplant-she has been gone over 20 years)
  • pbutter07
    Elijah Muhammad was much more than a Minister. And whether or not He had education according to your standards, the proof is in the pudding. Get out of here with your negativity.

This board is about making a positive life change. Elijah Muhammad talked about one meal a day in the 1930s, and now as "new meadows" posted, other doctors are verifying that one meal a day is in fact the best for your health.

Ay yah. People are such energy vampires. You try so hard to suck away the positive energy and motivation floating around. Shame on you.
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2017
    I started eating one meal a day a few days ago. I tell you all it takes is a MADE UP MIND. I'm already down 12 pounds and it hasn't even been a full week yet. I'm more energetic! I just passed my mid term with flying colors! It's such a healthy lifestyle change, and I found out about it from The Honorable Elijah Muhammad in his book called "How to eat to live"!

You should look up Dr. Fung. There is actually a TON of very reliable research about how the body benefits from having a break from digestion. Reguardless of how it enables a person to stick to a calorie deficit. A body in fasted state reduces insulin. Dr. Fung prescribes intermittent fasting to his obese patients with type 2 diabetes and kidney failure. Many of them are cured of type 2 diabetes and off all meds fairly quickly.

Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat book also shares the research on fasting.

Btw, I didn't read the entire thread, but I noticed a bunch of comments about OMAD being "science light." Go read up on the research that has been done on the body in the fasted state. The benefits are many and backed by reliable science. I started with watching interviews with Dr. Fung and also Brad Pilon on YouTube. Next time someone called it "science light" you can point them to some websites with the references that prove otherwise :-D

losing weight from being a caloric deficit has helped people get off meds and reverse their diabetes. its not curable though. it can come back if you regain the weight.if you have kidney failure its not usually curable ,you can get dialysis and hope it goes into a type of remission, or get a transplant.(my mother in law had failing kidneys,the dialysis didnt work and she didnt get a transplant-she has been gone over 20 years)

You should just go check out Dr. Fung, his story, and the research on PubMed.com

Currently the medical community treats Diabetes (type 1) with insulin because that's the problem, too little insulin. We also treat type 2 diabetes with insulin because it's assumed that the problem is the same (because of the way we test for it) However Dr. Fung noticed that his patients only gained weight and needed more and more insulin to keep their bodies functioning. He eventually reasoned that perhaps the problem with type 2 diabetes is different than with type one. Perhaps the body is producing too MUCH insulin. Perhaps the body has become resistant or "deaf" to the insulin and so when we give the person with type 2 diabetes more and more insulin it works for a time before the body becomes resistant to it again. Perhaps we need to teach the body to be sensitive to insulin again. Perhaps the person with type 2 diabetes needs less insulin instead of more. (again, this is a paraphrase, go listen to the guy with 9yrs of medical school tell you about what he did, please don't take my word for it. He was very skeptical at first.) exercise lowers insulin levels. Turns out letting your body be in a Fasted state also lowers insulin levels.

Yes, people get off their meds with weight loss all the time. This is different. This isn't about a caloric deficit. This is about what is going on in the body chemically and hormonally when the digestive system is given a rest. When most people do intermittent fasting they actually don't eat at a caloric deficit. Many of Dr. Fungs patients eat at maintenance calories. They just eat in a 6-8hr window. Maintenance calories. But with an extended rest from having food to digest. You can eat maintenance calories from 9a-5p and still give the body an overnight break from 5p-9a the next day. No caloric deficit. No more kidney disease. No more type 2 diabetes. No more obesity.

Again, you should do the research yourself instead of taking my word for it. Dr. Fung is an MD who specializes in kidney disease. He was skeptical. He now cures most of his patients of type 2 and kidney disease. Without caloric deficit. Change of diet? Absolutely. But the research lies in what the hormones of the body do when the body is without food. It's fascinating! :smiley:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Elijah Muhammad was much more than a Minister. And whether or not He had education according to your standards, the proof is in the pudding. Get out of here with your negativity.

This board is about making a positive life change. Elijah Muhammad talked about one meal a day in the 1930s, and now as "new meadows" posted, other doctors are verifying that one meal a day is in fact the best for your health.

Ay yah. People are such energy vampires. You try so hard to suck away the positive energy and motivation floating around. Shame on you.

the thing is you put this on a public forum. so I as well as anyone else can comment.as for dr fung if she means jason fung the nephrologist he deals with kidney problems.that would be like me going to a podiatrist and asking them for advice on weight loss.
  • jaroby

the thing is you put this on a public forum. so I as well as anyone else can comment.as for dr fung if she means jason fung the nephrologist he deals with kidney problems.that would be like me going to a podiatrist and asking them for advice on weight loss.

Yep! That's the Dr. Fung I'm referring to! :smiley: He does deal with kidney problems! (As I stated in my above posts) And most (but not all) of his patients have kidney problems because of their type 2 diabetes. He really desires to treat the whole patient. So he went back to school and became specialized in treating the whole system of problems instead of just the kidney disease. He didn't want to put a bandaid on the problem so he went to the root of it and added on the education and training necessary to do so :smiley:

Did you know that in his 9yrs of training to be an MD he only received 4hrs of education about what food does in the body? That's one of the things he changed. He went and learned a bunch of stuff he didn't previously know so he could better treat his patients with kidney problems. He no longer just prescribes them a pill but gives them the tools to be better permanently and without medication! Woohoo! :smiley:
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    What I said sounds science-light is the idea that eating frequently "wears out" your stomach. Not anything about intermittent fasting. Eating does not wear out your stomach.

You should look up Dr. Fung. There is actually a TON of very reliable research about how the body benefits from having a break from digestion. Reguardless of how it enables a person to stick to a calorie deficit. A body in fasted state reduces insulin and increases your bodies sensitivity to it thereby reversing insulin resistance. Dr. Fung prescribes intermittent fasting to his obese patients with type 2 diabetes and kidney failure. Many of them are cured of type 2 diabetes and off all meds fairly quickly.

Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat book also shares the research on fasting. The whole book is basically a publicized version of his thesis.

Go read up on the research that has been done on the body in the fasted state. The benefits are many and backed by reliable science. I started with watching interviews with Dr. Fung and also Brad Pilon on YouTube. Next time someone calls it "science light" you can point them to some websites with the references that prove otherwise :-D

Even just a quick search with a discerning eye on pubmed.com can provide lots of studies illustrating the benefits.

Happy researching!

• evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Thanks for all the info @jaroby. I will go and read up on that. It only makes sense when a Dr wants to treat the whole patient instead of just the symptoms.
  • jaroby
    Golbat wrote: »
    What I said sounds science-light is the idea that eating frequently "wears out" your stomach. Not anything about intermittent fasting. Eating does not wear out your stomach.

You should look up Dr. Fung. There is actually a TON of very reliable research about how the body benefits from having a break from digestion. Reguardless of how it enables a person to stick to a calorie deficit. A body in fasted state reduces insulin and increases your bodies sensitivity to it thereby reversing insulin resistance. Dr. Fung prescribes intermittent fasting to his obese patients with type 2 diabetes and kidney failure. Many of them are cured of type 2 diabetes and off all meds fairly quickly.

Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat book also shares the research on fasting. The whole book is basically a publicized version of his thesis.

Go read up on the research that has been done on the body in the fasted state. The benefits are many and backed by reliable science. I started with watching interviews with Dr. Fung and also Brad Pilon on YouTube. Next time someone calls it "science light" you can point them to some websites with the references that prove otherwise :-D

Even just a quick search with a discerning eye on pubmed.com can provide lots of studies illustrating the benefits.

Happy researching!

Ah, yes. I would agree that the literal concept of eating "wearing out" the stomach does sound science light. I think I read/interpreted wrong. Oops!

Let me see if Ican figure out why I read the comment the way I did. :blush:
    I think perhaps I was thinking that since most of the researched benefits of IF come from letting the digestive system be empty and rest that in a round about way eating would "wear out" the stomach. But only in the sense that research is showing that there are benefits from letting the system have a rest. ? I was making connections I shouldn't have made.

Does my thought process on that make any sense?

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

pbutter07 is no longer with us...at least under that name.
  • jaroby
    Golbat wrote: »

Happy researching!

Also, this may be weird but please forgive me. I just re-read my post. That last paragraph where I mention that someone (you) calls it "science light" wasn't supposed to be in there! I felt it was too direct and "attacking" and back handed in a way so I removed it, because that's just not my gig. I specifically remember taking it out because I didn't like how it sounded when I re-read it.

I've had this happen on MFP before where things I type and then delete before hitting "post reply" end up in the post anyway. Before it's just been typos and this time it was a direct quote from a human I don't know and it came across snarky. Snarky is NOT my thing. I will try and edit it out. (I've had horrible luck with this function as well)

I'm really very sorry if you felt attacked or belittled because of that. :-( ugh.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Earl, I hear ya. Different strokes for different folks. But if you do a little bit of research the lining of the stomach gets severely worn out by eating so many meals a day. It causes a lot of health problems. So eating one meal a day is not only beneficial for losing weight. It benefits you overall.

Actually, I HEALED the lining of my stomach by switching to 5 meals a day. Too much food in one meal was contributing to erosion of the stomach lining and anemia from the bleeding.