• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Yes with laxitives...lol
  • TheKeyz
    TheKeyz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cannady81 wrote: »
    It's possible. I lost 27lbs in a month, by not eating artificial carbs and sugar.

Seriously?
  • wintersjourney94
    wintersjourney94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I mean I have about 170pounds to lose so I have been averaging about 4-5 pound a per week so far. But I know that it won't happen forever. But my doctor said it was fine. Once my weight gets closer to the normal range It will slow down. But even then that would only be about 20 pounds per month.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's possible. I lost 27lbs in a month, by not eating artificial carbs and sugar.

Not exactly. You did it by achieving a calorie deficit.....

......a component of which included not eating a lot of artificial real carbs and sugar (other carbs)

[ETA - that would be about a 3000 calorie a day deficit. Not sure you could have lost that much unless your TDEE is sky-high. Were you extremely heavy at the time?]
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know I will get ripped for this. BUT: some people are just very impatient. After two years of maintenance, I had gained 12 lbs. So, I lost two lbs a week and went from 197 to 185 in six weeks.

I continued my routine of cardio, calisthenics, and light lifting. I'm still alive. Body still looks good. Most importantly to me, it's over. I did not want to drag it out over 24 weeks. No way.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Yes with laxitives...lol

No!! Absolutely not. Dangerous advice.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    TheKeyz wrote: »
    No

Unless your planning on chopping of your legs or something. Which I wouldn't recommend.

Lol yea well Im not a big fan of leg day so I think that could be an option

Weight loss works by creating a calorie deficit.
    To lose 1lb a day you would have to cut your calories by 3500 a day. Now the minimum you should eat a day is 1500 net.

Weight loss is simple math and your maths don't add up.

What's the hurry?

No hurry really I'm just tired of the extra weight and I want to be able to take my shirt off this summer not keep it on

I truly don't mean to be snarky, but next year you might wanna think about that in January. Ten pounds is the most I ever lost in a month, and it was ugly.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Yes with laxitives...lol

No!! Absolutely not. Dangerous advice.

I was going to say *kitten* advice.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was one of the worst eaters out there and just turned my last month around. Not only diet, but activity, gym time, weights. And i still only lost 11 pounds in the month. Not sure why you would even want to try to do that or do that to your body. Totally unhealthy.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I think I did lose 20 my first month, but most was from shedding water weight as I stopped eating highly processed and salted foods.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I've see two shows where this happens: The Biggest Loser & My 600lb Life.

The Biggest Loser lies about the timelines. (The contestants get longer than a week for what the viewers are told is "1 week".) Also, the contestants almost universally gain back the weight because the crash dieting screws up their hormones and they don't learn how to maintain.

Even though the OP only has 30 pounds to lose, he's a big guy and ought to be able to sustain losing 1-2 pounds/week if he's reasonably active*. That's still well under 1% of his weight per week.

*Reasonably active doesn't necessarily mean going to the gym all the time. It could simply mean being on his feet a lot, getting at least 10,000 steps/day. If he does that, he'll be burning in the ballpark of 3,500-4,000 calories/day and could lose 1-2 pounds/week eating 3,000 calories/day - a far cry from starving himself.

**Just saw the post where he says he's lightly active. That gives TDEE of ~3,000 calories/day, so he could lose 1 pound/week eating 2,500 calories/day. If he wants a bigger deficit than that, I'd tend to recommend increasing activity level rather than eating less. NEAT calories add up fast - especially for the 200+ pound crowd! (NEAT = non-exercise activity thermogenesis aka calories burned by walking, standing and generally living your life in a non-sedentary fashion).
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I've see two shows where this happens: The Biggest Loser & My 600lb Life.

The Biggest Loser lies about the timelines. (The contestants get longer than a week for what the viewers are told is "1 week".) Also, the contestants almost universally gain back the weight because the crash dieting screws up their hormones and they don't learn how to maintain.

Even though the OP only has 30 pounds to lose, he's a big guy and ought to be able to sustain losing 1-2 pounds/week if he's reasonably active*. That's still well under 1% of his weight per week.

*Reasonably active doesn't necessarily mean going to the gym all the time. It could simply mean being on his feet a lot, getting at least 10,000 steps/day. If he does that, he'll be burning in the ballpark of 3,500-4,000 calories/day and could lose 1-2 pounds/week eating 3,000 calories/day - a far cry from starving himself.

**Just saw the post where he says he's lightly active. That gives TDEE of ~3,000 calories/day, so he could lose 1 pound/week eating 2,500 calories/day. If he wants a bigger deficit than that, I'd tend to recommend increasing activity level rather than eating less. NEAT calories add up fast - especially for the 200+ pound crowd! (NEAT = non-exercise activity thermogenesis aka calories burned by walking, standing and generally living your life in a non-sedentary fashion).

I've been averaging -2.5 lbs/week since I started losing in Jan, this is just under 1% and did include a lot of initial water weight. Sedentary activity level.

I always assumed the smart players on TBL loaded up on water weight before the show starts, hence their stellar first week losses and flat second weeks.

• TheKeyz
    TheKeyz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    No

Unless your planning on chopping of your legs or something. Which I wouldn't recommend.

Lol yea well Im not a big fan of leg day so I think that could be an option

Weight loss works by creating a calorie deficit.
    To lose 1lb a day you would have to cut your calories by 3500 a day. Now the minimum you should eat a day is 1500 net.

Weight loss is simple math and your maths don't add up.

What's the hurry?

No hurry really I'm just tired of the extra weight and I want to be able to take my shirt off this summer not keep it on

I truly don't mean to be snarky, but next year you might wanna think about that in January. Ten pounds is the most I ever lost in a month, and it was ugly.

Why was it ugly ??
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    1-4lbs per week. Also depends on how lean you are.