April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    5 k first thing this morning to bring my total to 40 of the 75 I've committed to this month.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I had a great run today. It was cool and a little cloudy.

I do have a question for the experienced runners. Do you walk any during your run, and if so do you calculate how much distance you run vs walk? I started out with c25k and so I walk for 5 minutes (usually .3 miles) before I start running. Then i usally walk for about 5 minutes to cool down when i am through running. I'm just curious to know if most of you subtract the walking or just consider the whole thing the run.

I keep all the distance. I also count walking miles because running is about building cardiovascular endurance. Walking, or any activity during an active recovery day counts towards my personal goals, even if walking is all I'm able to do- walking is just very slow running after all. :wink:

I build my run distances while decreasing the walk gradually. I find I like distance increments rather than times. So, use what works for you. Just use what works for you... Honestly :smile: I liked running 1k, walking 0.1 miles. I'm not back there yet. If my overall pace is less than 15min/mile, I'm on track. Keep goals loose. Don't sweat it if you can't hit your targets everytime.

OR... If you have an HRM you can always use your HR. Find your comfortable pace/HR and when it gets​ out of that range, walk until it's back down and breathing is comfortable then resume running, keeping your pace reasonable.

Hope that helps you some.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    4/1: 5.8 miles
    4/2: 2.8 miles
    4/3: X-train (elliptical)
    4/4: 3.6 miles
    4/5: 5 miles
    4/6: rest
    4/7: 3.6 miles
    4/8: 6.3 miles
    4/9: 3 miles
    4/10: rest
    4/11: 4 miles
    4/12: 5 miles
    4/13: 4 miles
    4/14: rest
    4/15: 8 miles
    4/16: 5 miles

TOTAL: 56.1/100 miles

Happy Easter to everyone that celebrates the holiday! Back in 2014, I ran the RnR San Diego Marathon and there on the big hill at mile 19/20ish was a sign that said "I Eat Hills for Breakfast." It was the first time I had heard that running phrase and loved it. I've referenced it several times since then...including this morning when I ate hills for my Easter brunch ;):p The hills weren't actually that terribly big, but miles 3 and 4 had some good ones (to me). I had a much better run than I did yesterday and I could have easily kept going for another 3 miles but knee was starting to feel a little funny (swollen and the muscle seemed a little sore, like I've been overcompensating), plus I had later plans with the family anyway. I've got a follow up with the gait analysis PT tomorrow morning and she's squeezing me into a smaller appointment time as I had to reschedule, so I want to make sure I get the important things addressed.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do have a question for the experienced runners. Do you walk any during your run, and if so do you calculate how much distance you run vs walk? I started out with c25k and so I walk for 5 minutes (usually .3 miles) before I start running. Then i usally walk for about 5 minutes to cool down when i am through running. I'm just curious to know if most of you subtract the walking or just consider the whole thing the run.
    @kgirlhart I do occasionally walk during my runs but I try not to because I feel like if I have enough control of my pace, I won't need to walk. If I feel myself tiring more than usual, I take that as a sign that I need to slow to a manageable pace. I will occasionally walk though if I really feel like I need to slow my HR or something else is wrong, but overall I try not to. There's nothing wrong with walking though, if that's what you personally choose to do. I purposely chose to walk every few miles on long runs for a long time because I had heard that doing this will allow your running muscles to take a break and therefore help your stamina, but I realized that doing this got me out of my "groove" and running after walking was hard for me. I think it's a personal choice based on what your goals are and how you reach those goals best. Same goes for tracking those miles...personal choice. For me, I always start and end my runs at least down the street from my apartment so I have a minute or so of a warm up and cool down walk, but I don't start my watch until I start running and I stop it when I stop running. If I happen to walk during my run, I track it with my run because the walking is hopefully not too long.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Had pizza and too much wine last night with the boyfriend. I was already considering some major diet revisions after last week's migraine issues. But the impacts of last night made that oh so much more likely. I am traveling the next two weeks straight for work, and was driving today. I had no intentions or motivation for workout when I got to the destination, but decided I needed to remind myself further why cleaning up my diet was important, and take my sluggish butt for a run. I know this town is supposed to have a good path somewhere, but I'll be darned if I could find it. So, I made it about 3.7 miles before I got tired of trying to remember where I was vs where hotel was.

54.4/100
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

@kgirlhart I used to walk about 1 km before and after my runs. Now before my runs, I walk maybe 50-100 metres, but my first km is usually slow. I try to walk a few hundred metres at the end of my runs.

I've only ever started my watch when I start running. I'm in OCD hell because I've had to record some walks on Strava (to test my Garmin calorie counting). Normally I would never let walking onto Strava, unless it's a rare race/event. :smiley:

I don't walk during my runs, unless it's a few steps to take a sip of water at a water station in a race, and I find my legs go wobbly when I do that, hence why I don't walk.

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Definitely loving the collecting of bib numbers for Boston. Isn't it wild how we can get so excited for something we aren't even running? :smiley: Wishing you all the best!
    @MobyCarp - Bib 12498
    @lporter229 - Bib 19738

@ereck44 - That pretty much depends on a variety of things. Is this going to be your first time at that distance at the Indy Mini? What is your longest run so far and how many times have you run that distance? If this is your first half and you have only built up to 10-12 miles on just a few runs then it is probably too soon to attempt another half two weeks later. You will need those two weeks as a recovery period and can even reverse taper to get back to shape, but at that two week mark it might not be the wisest to do another HM right at that moment. However, if you feel like your training has been going really well, you feel good during your recovery and think you have bounced back to full shape in that two weeks then you can definitely do it. If you have run HM's before and especially if you have regularly been doing 10-12 mile long runs then you should also be able to do it provided you do sensible runs in between events to recover and keep from losing fitness. For point of reference, after about 18 months into running I was up around 40 mpw and doing great. I ran 5 HM's on 5 consecutive weekends with no issues, I just kept my weekly training plan going for 5 weeks with the HM's as my long runs. I even ran fast at a couple of them, but none of them were "raced".

Thanks for the reply. I have run 5 half marathons since 2014. It will be my fourth Indy mini. I am not sure what my weekly mileage is but I am going to start tracking it. Usually run a long run day and 2 shorter run days per week. My long run this week will probably be 11 miles and will run 11 miles minimum as a long run until my event. I love the idea of using the half marathon as my long run day....such a smart idea. Thus far I haven't had an injury but have a crazy night shift schedule that I am working around.

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp and @lporter229 ....wishing you both the best on your endeavors today. I know that you both will savor the experience. I am looking forward to reading your race reports.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise @Elise4270 , @OSUbuckeye906 , and @Orphia. I usually just walk at the beginning and and of the run. I don't know why I never thought about waiting to start tracking the run when I actually started running. Maybe because I started out just walking. Or maybe I just had a blond moment. I will start tracking it that way. Thanks again!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    5 km shorty with 3 members of our little club. 3 other members went out for 8km.
    Sunday is our traditional "Shorty Day" and a day we use to encourage other runners to join in for the fun.
    Also spent 1 hr post run solving al the world's problems over a few coffee's with my club mates.

04/01 0.0 km – 140. km – 0.0 km – YTD 300.05
    04/02 6.5 km – 135.5km - 6.5km – YTD 306.55
    04/05 5.2 km – 130.3km - 11.7km – YTD 311.75
    04/08 21.3 km – 109.0km - 33.0km – YTD 333.05 Jasper HM 2:13:33
    04/12 5.0 km – 104.0km - 38.0km – YTD 338.05
    04/15 12.1 km – 89.9km - 50.1km – YTD 350.1
    04/15 5.0 km – 84.9km - 55.1km – YTD 355.1

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thank you @ereck44 <3:):D and thanks to @WhatMeRunning, @_nikkiwolf_ and @Orphia for your congrats and support as well! Love this supportive group of runners.

Have a great week everyone. Happy running. Best of luck to our Boston runners today! I know several people from our running group who are running it today too, and I'm so excited for them.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Last minute congrats and best wishes to those heading towards the start for Boston today!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    4/1- 15.23
    4/2- 3.14
    4/3- 7.07
    4/4- 3.69
    4/5- 9
    3/6- REST
    4/7- 5.12
    4/8- 17.58
    4/9- 4.05
    4/10- 7.13
    4/11- 3.79
    4/12- 9
    4/13- REST
    4/14- 17
    4/15- 5.11
    4/16- 4.06
    4/17- 5.71

Total: 116.69

Today's notes: "slept in" today until 0500, and that felt good, though I could use some more sleep. Got my 5 miles in going around town. Averaged 9:32 pace with HR average of 151, so a fairly solid "easy run" Plan also called for 4 strides. I got those in, but I had zero pep in my legs, so it was a struggle......LOL....strides being a struggle...I am tired.

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k<- yeah, I'm crazy enough to go for it
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot

Good luck today to @MobyCarp and @lporter229 you're both an inspiration to all of us!

@katharmonic I forgot to say Congrats! on your 10k. Great job!
  • MallowMoira
    MallowMoira Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

exercise.png

Not doing so well this month. Probably won't get a third of my goal done. I'm walking and rowing so I am keeping the exercise up. I'm off to Lanzarote next week :smiley: so won't be doing any running. I'll will see you all again for the May challenge.
    Moira
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to everyone in Boston today!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Have a great memorable run today in Boston
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April
    4/1 20 miles - 20
    4/2 10 miles - 30
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 10 miles - 40
    4/4 4 miles - 44 << Daily Double
    4/5 6.2 miles - 50.2
    4/6 6.2 miles - 56.4
    4/6 4 miles - 60.4 << Daily Double
    4/7 REST DAY
    4/8 16 miles - 76.4
    4/9 REST DAY
    4/10 7 miles - 83.4
    4/11 7.5 miles - 90.9
    4/12 REST DAY
    4/13 8 miles - 98.9
    4/14 5 miles - 103.9
    4/15 14.5 miles - 118.4
    4/16 REST DAY
    4/17 6.2 miles - 124.6

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Anyone else live streaming Boston on their phone while trying to pretend like they're getting some work done?

4/1 - 7.7 miles in sunny San Diego
    4/2 - Travel day
    4/3 - Rest day
    4/4 - 5 comfortable miles.
    4/5 - 4.4 miles.
    4/6 - 5.05 miles.
    4/7 - Unplanned rest day.
    4/8 - 6.31 super hilly miles.
    4/9 - Too many hills :-(
    4/10 - 5 miles.
    4/11 - 4.93 miles of track/speed work. Then upper body weights.
    4/12 - 4.5 miles.
    4/13 - 4.9 miles. Some hip soreness that I am going to have to keep an eye on.
    4/14 - Unplanned rest day / life day / holiday prep.
    4/15 - 9 mile group run. Hip not perfect, but improved.
    4/16 - 5 miles. Ugh...too much buffet.

exercise.png