06 - 10.75
    07 - 13.36
    10 - 10.73

Total: 71.19 / 175 miles
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    April Running Challenge

4/1 Eagle Mt cleanup: picked up trash with the family for 2 hours, filled 6 trash bags between the 3 of us.
    4/2 13.1 mile run.
    4/3 Strength, 12.3 miles stationary bike, yoga
    4/4 9.8 miles stationary bike
    4/5 12.35 miles stationary bike
    4/6 40 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes stationary bike
    4/7 40 minute slow dog walk
    4/8 95 minutes of elliptical
    4/9 1.1 mile run, 3.4 mile dog walk

Goal: 14.2 of 150

Completed Races:
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26 (Registered): 3:54:06 / 8:56 min/mile

Upcoming Races:

Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)

So, on Saturday afternoon and yesterday, my calf seemed to be feeling so much better. I tried jogging in place a few times, and had no pain. Walked around yesterday between my son’s 3 soccer games and it was feeling good. Headed out the door to run yesterday. My calf felt Ok...still tight. By the time I got to the end of my street (less than 1 block), it was feeling less great, but still better than last week. As I kept running, it started to warm up and feel better. When I was close to the 1 mile mark, I contemplated going another 1 to 2 miles. However, I decided it would be better to take it easy, and instead, I went home to pick up my dog and took her on a walk for about 1 hour to enjoy the fantastic weather. Today is XT day so I'll try running again tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm stretching, rolling, and icing.

Thanks to those of you who have shared tips of what worked for you. I've tried all the suggestions, and my calf seems to be improving.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.7 miles in sunny San Diego
    4/2 - Travel day
    4/3 - Rest day
    4/4 - 5 comfortable miles.
    4/5 - 4.4 miles.
    4/6 - 5.05 miles.
    4/7 - Unplanned rest day.
    4/8 - 6.31 super hilly miles.
    4/9 - Too many hills :-(
    4/10 - 5 miles.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I almost forgot!!

I used an electrolyte tablet in my water over the weekend. Just a single tab in 1.5l (I think the instructions said 1 per 750ml water)

BUT - I didn't get the tired feeling I normally do after about 7 miles, I didn't feel hungry (not that I do much when running), and my legs kept on going. There was still plenty of walking during my route, but this was down to the elevation and not because I felt I couldn't go on anymore.

it's a revelation!!!

That's great! it's always a great feeling when you try something new and it works out well!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    I handed out medals at a local 5k/10k yesterday and it was so inspiring. It was a really hot, windy, humid day so everyone was saying the medal meant even more to them. I am determined to run this same race next year and enter the 10k, which seems scary now with only 5k's under my belt!

If you've got a 5k under your belt. Running a 10k at this time next year will be no problem. Just keep running, and you'll be able to do it easily.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @garygse with how you're going, I almost think you set your goal too low. Great running!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the MRC leader board on Strava. @Stoshew71 tapering is good for my ego. I ran the same distance as him last week.

there's a Strava group???? request to join just sent.......
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April
    4/1 20 miles - 20
    4/2 10 miles - 30
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 10 miles - 40
    4/4 4 miles - 44 << Daily Double
    4/5 6.2 miles - 50.2
    4/6 6.2 miles - 56.4
    4/6 4 miles - 60.4 << Daily Double
    4/7 REST DAY
    4/8 16 miles - 76.4
    4/9 REST DAY
    4/10 7 miles - 83.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29

Today is Day 1 of Week 1 of my taper.

Sorry that I haven't reported in all weekend. This weekend was the weekend from hell. First off, I get to Baltimore Washington Airport early Friday because I saw that my flight was being delayed. Get to the airport only to find out it was cancelled. After getting into the terminal there is a huge line at the Delta check-in all with people suffering from cancellations. I stood on line for 2 hours and went forward maybe 20 feet? Apparently the storms on Thursday through Atlanta screwed everything up that even all the flights on Friday were getting cancelled. it was a mess for delta all weekend. So I called about getting a rental car and got out of line and picked up an Uber ride from the airport to Glen Burney Enterprise rent a car (all the rental cars at BWI were not available - probably because everyone doing what I was doing) and actually drove overnight for 11 hours home. I got home at 4:30 in the morning. I slept for 4 hours and returned my rental car at the Huntsville Airport. Thought about going back to bed but couldn't fall asleep. So I decided to go out for my long run. I was hoping to get one last 20 in. I ended up giving up after 16 miles. (I think we were talking about the effects of lack of sleep?) That or maybe it was from all my fast running from earlier last week? But I was dead after 16 miles.

So now I am in taper mode for the next 3 weeks.

Sunday I was a volunteer at our Bridge Street Half Marathon. I was the mile 7 split timer.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On the fasted runs to train your body to burn fat for fuel, I agree that it is important since I am slow (I wish I was a 4-5 hour marathoner). I have a question for @Stoshew71 though because if you read the posts literally then in between the lines in those it would seem that one would do a long run in a fasted state and take no gels or anything during the run. This is not what I do, learned to do, or have ever heard as sensible advice, so I feel compelled to ask about it.

Like @garygse, I can go about 2 hours on glycogen stores alone, meaning I can start a run in a fasted state and just run through the whole 2 hours taking in only water (if necessary). If my run will be longer than 2 hours this does not work and I refuel, at which point I take gels. At the moment on runs where I refuel I refuel about every 50 minutes but I also know I can cut that back on some runs. For example, a 2.5 hour run it is possible to get by with one refueling about 1:30-1:45 into the run. One way to look at this is the "cookie cutter" advice commonly heard on half marathons about taking a gel at the 8 mile mark. If I were going to run for a long time, say 3+ hours, then I would refuel every 45-50 minutes, no exception.

All that said, if there is some sort of data or personal experiences out there about running 2.5+ hours in a fasted state with zero refueling, I'm ready to hear it since it would be a new concept to me. I'm not sure how the *kitten* it is possible, but I'm all ears. :smile:

Most of my morning runs were started fasted (except for a mug of coffee with creamer in it). According to the bottle, it's maybe 20 calories? The only thing I had on my long run with me was a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade. That's about 160 calories. And I wouldn't even start drinking any of it until I got to mile 10. I have done many 2-1/2 hour runs like that. Most of my mid week 10 milers were all fasted. Those are runs between hour 20 minutes & 90 minutes.

I have ran an entire 2-1/2 hour run completely fasted quite a few times and they are tough. So maybe I should say, if you run in a fasted state, don't run more than 2 hours and expect any big performance runs. The last 30 minutes or so will be a struggle.

EDIT: I agree with @7lenny7 about the double stresses. Running fasted AND a PR distance would be a double stress.

Discussion between @garygse & @WhatMeRunning --- Yes, fasted running especially on long runs would yield to slower running.

Not in this training cycle, but during training for my first couple of marathons, I have regularly brought gels with me in my spy belt for long runs with the plan that I may or may not use them. It's not a bad idea to take them for just in case. If anything, you will get used to carrying them even if you don't consume them.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - those pictures!!! Wow! Looks like a great place to run. Although I'm a little scared of heights and looking at that first picture made me nervous you would fall!

Perfect running weather this morning.

4/1 - 44 miles biking
    4/2 - 40 miles biking
    4/3 - 3.7 miles
    4/4 - 4.2 miles
    4/5 - strength training
    4/6 - 3.4 miles
    4/7 - strength training
    4/8 - 10K Zombies Chunnel run
    4/9 - 28 miles on bike - but like a rest day
    4/10 - 4.5 miles

exercise.png
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Wow! There were some great pics and stories from this weekend! Hope everyone is healthy and has a great week!

I got in 5 this morning.
    exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Amazing pics and run! :-o

I had a rough weekend. I had big plans for my run Saturday and ended up spending the day in bed having asthma problems. Fatigue was out of control and every time I got up I wanted to lie back down immediately. Sunday I crashed and slept 3 hours in the recliner, woke up and mentally felt fresh, so I headed out to run but once again my body protested. My left have just never felt so heavy as they do lately. I can't even describe what it's like. Well, it's like dragging dead weight - like dragging another body besides my own. So I ended up only running 1.5 miles and walking the rest of the time.

SOOOOO at 9:30 last night I said Good Night and went to bed with no tv on, no phone, and was determined to get a full night of sleep. It took about 60-75 mins to fall asleep but I feel like I got a good 7 hours. I think if I can keep this up, by Friday I may feel right again.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    04/02: 12.1 mile long run, 9:35 pace
    04/03: 4.06 mile easy run, 9:37 pace
    04/04: 5.02 miles- 7x600m repeats, 2:35 average
    04/06: 4.04 mile easy run, 9:22 pace
    04/07: 6.05 miles- 4 mile tempo, 7:50 pace
    04/09: 12.13 mile long run, 9:26 pace
    Total: 43.40 miles

Notes:
    Had a really wonderful 12 mile long run yesterday! It was pretty hot and sunny out, and despite wearing sunscreen I think I got at least three shades darker :sunglasses:

Now for the bad news. I’ve had a little bit of pain above my arch (inside of foot) for the last few runs, starting with thursday's run. It only started 3-4 miles in to that run, and felt more like a bruise than sharp pain, so I though my shoe was just pinching funny. It didn't bother me at all after the run so I didn't think much of it. On friday's run, the same feeling showed up 3-4 miles in, and the discomfort level stayed constant through the remainder of the run. As before, it went away as soon as I stopped running and didn't bother me at all the rest of the day or on saturday (rest day). On my long run yesterday though, the feeling showed up around mile 5 and turned to mild pain from miles 10-12 (not bad enough to alter my gait, but definitely present). There's no visible swelling or bruising, and no pain or tenderness when I press on the spot where it was hurting. The pain pretty much subsided as soon as I stopped running; I iced it twice yesterday post-run and only experienced a tiny bit of discomfort later in the day when walking a mile to the train station. This morning, my arch itself feels a little tight/sore but no soreness or pain in the original pain location.

Anyway, idk what’s going on but of course my brain jumps straight to the worst scenario of some sort of stress fracture (navicular maybe? It's in that region). But it doesn't feel at all like my past stress fractures did so I think I may be just freaking myself out a bit. Another possibility is that it's some sort of irritation of my posterior tibial tendon. I did notice yesterday that running on the uneven dirt surface next to the running path caused more discomfort than running on the paved path. The plan is to take the next few days off from running, and focus on icing the affected area as well as extra calf/hamstring stretching, and a few exercises I found that are suggested for rehabbing from PTTD. I'm really sad to have to take a few days off :disappointed: But optimistic that whatever it is, I’ve caught is soon enough that I won’t have to take too much time away! I survived 3+ months away for my last injury and was able to come back stronger than before, so I know this is just a minor setback and that I can overcome this too :)

exercise.png

Training For:
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I just looked at the MRC leader board on Strava. @Stoshew71 tapering is good for my ego. I ran the same distance as him last week.

there's a Strava group???? request to join just sent.......
    For anyone who was not aware, there is a Strava group for the MFP Monthly Running Challenges here...
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng