April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen Great work running the new OR! Too bad about the disorganization of the race.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Apr 02     5.0        5.0
    Apr 05     4.3        9.3
    Apr 07     6.4       15.7
    Apr 08     4.3       20.0
    Apr 09     5.0       25.0

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @vandinem Great running. Looks like you're on track to surpass your goal.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Oh, I think I forgot to check in last week, I even forgot what my goal was. . . I think it was 90. That's too low. Make it 120 again. Yeah. How much running is enough? More.

To date: 45.39 / 120
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 4.3.17 - 4.9.17

M - Rest / Recover Day
    T - 9 m. 9:05 pace. TM.
    W - 7 m. 9:10 pace. TM.
    T - OFF
    F - 5 miles.
    S - 15.3 m
    S - 14.1 m. Including the ORRRC Half Marathon.
    Total - 50.4 m.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner I hear ya on the boring-ness of the elliptical at the gym. I usually watch Netflix on my phone, which makes it go a lot faster. Hopefully you're not stuck on the elliptical for too much longer.

@_nikkiwolf_ Sorry to hear about your DNS, but probably better you played it safe. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

@HRKinchen Congrats on the new PB! Sounds very disorganized, hope everyone crossed the finish line safely

@dpwellman Ouch!

4/1: 5.8 miles
    4/2: 2.8 miles
    4/3: X-train (elliptical)
    4/4: 3.6 miles
    4/5: 5 miles
    4/6: rest
    4/7: 3.6 miles
    4/8: 6.3 miles
    4/9: 3 miles

TOTAL: 30.1/100 miles

I've been really spoiled by the awesome running weather we've had lately and the forecast looks mostly like more of the same this week (minus a storm here or there). Today didn't disappoint at 63F and sunny and I kept my 3 miles at a comfortable pace of 9:39 min/mile. I actually was aiming for a little slower (9:45-9:50) and was running the slower pace for the majority of the run, but with the hills added in I was a little faster (on short hills/inclines, I tend to power up them, and then of course am a little faster on the declines as well).

The tightness that I described yesterday was still there some, though I was pretty diligent about stretching before and after and now I don't feel it nearly as much as I did after my run yesterday. I'm not sure if I was exactly accurate at describing where it was either - I've been saying it's in the medial part of my lower left calf, but it's actually lower than that, I think on the medial side of the achilles (not sure if it's technically the achilles or not). Anyway, I'm not sure if this correlates with the fact that I haven't had as much time for PT exercises this past week or not, but I need to be sure I'm fitting time in for them this week anyway.
  • JohnRoderick
    JohnRoderick Posts: 19 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Just 2.75mi today in a light rain at 6.4mph average. Leg day tomorrow so no run till tues.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp every time I read your run reports I learn something. It has been invaluable for my training for my first marathon. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do in 8 days!
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Am I totally insane for thinking about having one of my long runs be a 2.4 mile loop....running it like 8 times (19 mile run), so I can practice water stops, to see how it goes without carrying water? I was thinking set a bottle of Powerade (that's what the race has) on my lawn, so I could grab it and take a swig as I go by. This would also let me practice fueling, I figure, and possibly give me a "safe" way to see if I need to bring extra water for the race.

I would move this long run to a time of day that more accurately reflects temps at race time.

At the actual race, the first water stop is at mile 3, then every other mile until mile 19, after which they are every mile.

The only things holding me back are A. Boredom of running a loop like that, and B. possibly needing more hydration.

So, is the idea normal crazy, or crazy like a fox?
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks for the shout-out.Yeah, got off to a slow start so the last three days get me back on pace towards my goal. Now, just gotta stick with it! And BTW, nice job on that PR!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---4.48
    3---3.05
    5---2.85 walk
    9---3.30 walk

13.68/30

RACES!!!

XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run (HM at night) May 27 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - If you're going to go that far to simulate in-race hydration, you may as well buy some wax paper cups and also practice drinking from them on the run. I have not done this, but I can see where it would be useful if it's practical to set up such an arrangement.

I learned to actually transfer water from those wax paper cups to my throat at the 2015 Buffalo Marathon. I found that it's a lot easier at marathon pace than at 10K race pace or even half marathon pace.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - If you're going to go that far to simulate in-race hydration, you may as well buy some wax paper cups and also practice drinking from them on the run. I have not done this, but I can see where it would be useful if it's practical to set up such an arrangement.

I learned to actually transfer water from those wax paper cups to my throat at the 2015 Buffalo Marathon. I found that it's a lot easier at marathon pace than at 10K race pace or even half marathon pace.

I'm a teacher..... I have tones of them already....lol