April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 that is a good possibility! You are so right, once the decision was made I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders. Deep down I knew it was the right thing for both of us, especially her with sectionals coming up.

Thanks for the DNS support, I hate that more than DNF. I went to PT today and he said I'm glad you decided not to run.

Have a great weekend everyone! I'm on vacation next week and I can't wait.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Something I found about fasted and non-fasted long runs for marathon training.
    https://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/marathon-long-runs-on-an-empty-stomach-or-fully-fueled/

That one seems pretty consistent with what I have read about fasted running in the past in that it boosts your glycogen storage. The difference is, I always thought a fasted run meant starting the run in a fasted state, yet you would still take in fuel if the run was long enough. Today, my understanding of a fasted run is quite different.

Here's another thing I found about fasted runs on an ultra running forum.
    http://www.ultrarunningltd.co.uk/training-schedule/nutrition/training-in-a-fasted-state-pros-cons

The section in that one titled "The bad news" is where I wish there were sources listed for that. If that is true, then the increase in fat burning is only while running fasted, and does not change how much fat the body burns when it is fueled or taking in fuel. If that is true, then what is the point for anyone who is targeting a race of over 2 hours? I can't really picture a reason to not want to be glycogen loaded or refuel at any point on a race longer than two hours.

So confusing.

The missing piece here seems to be supporting data about increasing your fat burning capabilities overall on all long runs (fasted or unfasted) if you do some of your training runs in a fasted state. Without that, it would seem that the only long term benefit that can apply to all kinds of long runs is the increased glycogen storage (which is a great reason to do occasional fasted runs).
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Apr 02     5.0        5.0
    Apr 05     4.3        9.3
    Apr 07     6.4       15.7

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I read those articles earlier today, as a matter of fact. It's part of the reason I'm still not 100% sure on fueling for my run tomorrow morning. I'm pretty certain I'll bring my hydration belt rhough, jusat so I get practice with it.....Even though having a new piece of equipment while going for a distance PR isn't the best idea maybe, it will also mean I have something to drink with me, which I haven't done, out to 15 miles, thus far.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - My brain asploded. :smile:

Yeah, I'm sorry. I think mine did, too. Maybe I didn't have enough glucose to keep it working...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Another thing that just occurred to me when talking about boosting glycogen storage (I don't mean to hijack from the fat burning topic).

In the past, the training runs I depended on to really boost my glycogen storage capabilities due to running in a glycogen depleted state was "back to back long runs". The general idea with these is to do two long runs on two consecutive days. I would generally do something like a 16 miler Saturday and a 10-12 miler Sunday. I have seen some people switch that around and do the longer run the second day (and I am 100% convinced that they are demons :naughty:).

It never dawned on me to compare these in any way to fasted runs. I mean, if the goal is to boost glycogen storage, then you can do one or the other, or both and switching off however you see fit. I know that I like having back to back long runs late in my base building phase after I have incorporated mid-week long runs to get my highest base mileage weeks. The downside to that sort of schedule was that everything was either a long run or an easy run, no chance for speedwork. I actually have this exact scenario planned in on this current base building plan. My next cycle introduces a mid-week long run, and as that builds up I will then later introduce back to back long runs on the weekends.

I will admit I have never heard any claim about increased fat burning capability associated with back to back long runs (other than running more miles and burning more fat). So a fasted long run provides the possibility of that benefit over back to back long runs. Yet at the same time it is a "depleted run", so I suppose an argument could be made that day two is pretty much by default a "fasted run", even though you are likely going to be taking in any carbs you can get your hands on (you will need them too).

Granted, the one benefit back to back long runs gives that fasted long runs do not is simply the extra mileage. Both require some extra grit to endure, but the back to back would involve a higher total mileage over the two runs than the one fasted long run.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Long run was slated for tomorrow so naturally my husbands' work needs him for the weekend. Treadmill it is.

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4
    April 5- Off
    April 6- 10
    April 7- 15.8

103km/300km

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Long run was slated for tomorrow so naturally my husbands' work needs him for the weekend. Treadmill it is.

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4
    April 5- Off
    April 6- 10
    April 7- 15.8

103km/300km

Ugh....TM miles.... how far you got to get in?
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi
    4/3 - 3.6 mi.
    4/4 - rest
    4/5 - 6.0 mi.
    4/6 - 4.0 mi.
    4/7 - 5.0 mi.

April goal: 29.6/100 miles
  • JessicaMcB
    Options

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4
    April 5- Off
    April 6- 10
    April 7- 15.8

103km/300km

30k, I've done that distance on the mill before so it's fine. I'm just a whiner when I plan a route against distance and I have to scrap it lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4
    April 5- Off
    April 6- 10
    April 7- 15.8

103km/300km

30k, I've done that distance on the mill before so it's fine. I'm just a whiner when I plan a route against distance and I have to scrap it lol

Ugh. More props to you. I have a very hard time with 10k on the TM. So glad my LR tomorrow is outside.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    Have a good run for the treadmill trapped @MNLittleFinn lol. @WhatMeRunning I do a lot of my winter training on the mill so it doesn't bother me that much anymore. While I can run ice to a degree my knees can get dodgy- gotta make peace with the Precor ;)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 4.3.17 - 4.9.17

M - Rest / Recover Day
    T - 9 m. 9:05 pace. TM.
    W - 7 m. 9:10 pace. TM.
    T - OFF
    F - 5 miles.
    S -
    S - LR
    Total - m.

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just catching up on the thread and I'm listening in to this whole fueling topic. I've completed 8 marathons, but have always ran my longer runs fueled. As I build back up my miles, I think I'll look more into this and see how my body does running fasted. Right now, I'm only up to about 6 miles for my long runs but I've already taken water with me on a run or two. I don't really need the water except for the fact that I have asthma and an occasional sip or two of water helps to keep my throat clear of thick mucous that I would otherwise choke on. As someone who has always been more susceptible to heat/fainting and also someone who sweats like crazy, I've always erred on the side of caution made sure to take in water, gatorade/electrolytes, fuel, and even salt tabs when needed. I also usually know how long I can go on shorter long runs without having any fuel, how often I need fuel on my longer runs, and usually how long I can take to get out for my run in the morning before I start getting hungry. It will be interesting to see how well my body responds to being re-trained on fueling if I decide to go this route.

@shanaber Thanks for mentioning that there is a sport and face version of the same sunscreen. I realized the other day that I'm actually almost out, so I'll have to look for those when I go to buy more. I experienced the sunscreen in my eyes the other day mid-run, so I guess I'll need to try to get used to wearing a hat as another alternative.

@BeeerRunner Hope your calf and butt are feeling better haha! A sore butt is one of the major reasons I don't enjoy bike riding and why I stopped training for a triathlon a few years ago (well, that and the beginnings of carpel tunnel). Just read your latest update on your calf...bummer :( Hope it's back to 0 pain soon

@HRKinchen Beautiful pics!

@MNLittleFinn Good luck on the long run tomorrow!

@MobyCarp Congrats on the shiny new medal

@lporter229 Interesting needle therapy pic, but I have to admit that I had to scroll past it and then scroll past it again so I could see it without stopping on the pic...I still wanted to see it but I can't stand needles! Glad it's benefiting you.

@skippygirlsmom Sorry about your race but hope the two of you can come up with a cool race to do together in the future. Probably the smartest choice too.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    I spaced for a second because I've recently been contemplating a 10K* in January (*a quarter marathon, actually, which the Louisiana Marathon folks call "a 10K with lagniappe" :lol: ).

So, it's not real often that MFP expands my actual vocabulary. But, I had to google lagniappe. And, now that I know what it means, I completely love the description.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

Aim: 130k

4/2: 13.1k -casual run-
    4/3: 1.5k -cause I am lazy, that's why-
    4/4: 4k -as c/d of leg day training-
    4/6: 5k -after gym-
    4/7: 8.5k -intervals-
    4/8: 9.1k -various surfaces-

41.1/130k

Started slow cause of the stifness due to yesterday's intervals. Last 2.5k was at 4:45 min/k.

Stay free of injuries!