April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 LOL, I didn't even notice that! I replied in my thread as well, but I'll reply ere too. I really liked your thinking. I think what I'll do is take a gel or 2 with, so I have that option, but the plan will be a "fasted run" with the back up plan of getting some fuel in me if I need it.

I'll probably take my hydration belt too, so I get used to running with it because, if I *GASP* sign up for that 50k, I'd more than likely be running with it anyway, so I figure it's good to start getting practice with it now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    1---4.48
    3---3.05
    5---2.85 walk
    7---71 steps bedroom, kitchen to couch to get the last cupcake and some coffee. A.K.A. rest day :tongue:

@lporter229 I had a ct guided steroid shot today (in my hip at the trochanter). It hurt like a mother and I made an *kitten* of myself-got a princess band aid to prove it. I can't sit still. Can you sit still through it? I act the same way with the piriformis shots. And the SI joint shot.... I was fine with the shoulder shots tho... Tell me how to be tough like you!

10.38/30

RACES!!!

XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run (HM at night) May 27 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Skip and I are both dropping out of the HM this Sunday. I hate it but we had a long talk last night. Her hammie was hurting earlier in the week and I haven't run over 4 miles per my PT so we decided to find ourselves a vacation destination half to run later in the summer. I really didn't want to not be able to honestly run this and she refuses to do anything but run her best.

Sucks that you had do drop out, but I think you made the right choice. Running injured and/or unprepared would not have been good.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom the right choice is often the toughest choice. I hate bailing out on a race but there is a sense of relief when you know you did the right thing.

Now I have to ask...are you sure Skip wasn't just giving you a story about her hamstring so she could get that destination race out of you ;) Sounds like an awesome time!

It's 1pm and bailing out on work. All I can think about is what i need for tomorrow's race, when I need to get up and all that sort of stuff. It's in the boonies, with no cell service and a half hour to the nearest small town. The weather should be perfect! The 100 mile runners have already started, the 50 mile runners start at midnight, and we start at 8 or 9 am. I need to check on that I suppose.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Skip and I are both dropping out of the HM this Sunday. I hate it but we had a long talk last night. Her hammie was hurting earlier in the week and I haven't run over 4 miles per my PT so we decided to find ourselves a vacation destination half to run later in the summer. I really didn't want to not be able to honestly run this and she refuses to do anything but run her best.

Smart decision. And you'll both be happy to do a runcation!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    April Running challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 29.8/100 km
    7/4/17 Run 7.4 km walk 3 km
    6/4/17 Run 8.4 km walk 9 km
    5/4/17 walk 9 km
    4/4/17 Run 7 km
    3/4/17 Run 7 km walk 6 km
    2/4/17 walk 3 km
    1/4/17 walk 7 km
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    April Running challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 29.8/100 km
    7/4/17 Run 7.4 km walk 3 km
    6/4/17 Run 8.4 km walk 9 km
    5/4/17 walk 9 km
    4/4/17 Run 7 km
    3/4/17 Run 7 km walk 6 km
    2/4/17 walk 3 km
    1/4/17 walk 7 km

great job! keep at it!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    April Running Challenge

4/1 Eagle Mt cleanup: picked up trash with the family for 2 hours, filled 6 trash bags between the 3 of us.
    4/2 13.1 mile run.
    4/3 Strength, 12.3 miles stationary bike, yoga
    4/4 9.8 miles stationary bike
    4/5 12.35 miles stationary bike
    4/6 40 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes stationary bike
    4/7 40 minute slow dog walk

Goal: 13.1 of 150

Completed Races:
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26 (Registered): 3:54:06 / 8:56 min/mile

Upcoming Races:

Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)

Just walked my sweet Spotty, but it didn't go so well. My calf has felt fine walking around the house, biking and doing the elliptical, but it certainly did not feel great today. So discouraged because I really wanted to run this weekend. It's very low on the pain scale...a 1.5 to 2, but definitely more than just tightness. I worry that if I run on it, my calf will either get worse or prolong getting back to 100%. :'(:'(:'(
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    April Running Challenge

Just walked my sweet Spotty, but it didn't go so well. My calf has felt fine walking around the house, biking and doing the elliptical, but it certainly did not feel great today. So discouraged because I really wanted to run this weekend. It's very low on the pain scale...a 1.5 to 2, but definitely more than just tightness. I worry that if I run on it, my calf will either get worse or prolong getting back to 100%. :'(:'(:'(

Oh no, sorry. But you are wise to not take a chance.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I managed 10 miles this morning - farthest distance I have ever run! It also seems like my weight loss is improving my pace. I've gone from 11 minute miles to 10 minute miles in six months. Feeling pretty proud of myself today. :)

exercise.png

never too late to join. Welcome!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Sorry you two had to give up on the half but it is better then risking further injury. A destination race sounds amazing!
    @7lenny7 - Good luck on your race! Can't wait to see the race report.
    @BeeerRunner - Better to be safe then sorry and risk a longer recovery.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan @skippygirlsmom :wink:

@BeeerRunner - Good call! Sounds like you could heal up pretty quick so long as you take it easy a couple more days.

Welcome @amymoreorless!

Looking forward to a post-race report @7lenny7!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 I love your "woo!" in the vid! congrats!

Thanks. I didn't have a lot left in me for celebrating, but I felt that I should acknowledge myself.
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/multimedia/shamrock-shuffle-finish-line-10-417895003.html

@autumnblade75 I was on TV! Around 4:15 or so in the video - they call my name, and I go "woo!" Crossing the finish line. I hate that they don't timestamp these clips better, but it was easier to find the first video where more of the bibs were blue (Wave 2) than red (Wave 1) and start watching from there. Next year, I expect to be looking the other direction, from the last clip where mostly red bibs proliferate, towards earlier finishes.

I watched the video and I'm pretty sure I saw you! I'd really like to do the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago some year. Actually, there's a lot of races I'd like to do in Chicago but money, time, time off work, etc. doesn't always allow...oh, and living closer than a 6 hour drive would help too :)

I'm sure you did, if you watched the clip. It's a huge deal, around here. 20k or so runners. I hate crowds and it's too cold, and I really prefer race day packet pickup, and I missed my train by THIRTY TWO SECONDS!!! But I keep signing up.
    ariceroni wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 awesome job and congratulations on the PR! Pretty sure I saw you in the video :) I did the Shamrock Shuffle last year and had a blast, it's a great race! Sad I couldn't make it this year but unfortunately couldn't fit it into my training schedule or budget :disappointed:

Next year...
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So, I've been thinking about putting on my hydration belt, grabbing 6 gels (enough for 1 gel every 4 miles) and suing this weekend's run as a practice for fueling. Part of me wants to, but part of me is thinking that it might be better to just get the mileage PR this week and bring the fuel on my ruin next week, since they will be the same distance....The things I never thought I'd think about a year ago.....What do you guys think? Or is this another case of me over thinking and being a nervous first time marathoner?

You'll need in-race fuel. You practice your fueling strategy in training runs. This has several benefits:

a) You can eliminate fuel sources that your digestive system doesn't tolerate before they cause you a problem on race day.
    b) You train your body to actually digest the fuel on the run, rather than doing the natural thing of shifting all the blood flow to support running.
    c) You develop the habit of fueling, so you're less likely to simply forget on race day. (We're all stupider in the middle of a long race than we are before or after. That's why we plan and practice, so we don't have to do creative thinking when we're not at our best in that department.)

I understand the theory of running fasted to train the body to burn fat. I suspect this is a very important thing for elite athletes, and a fairly minor effect for amateurs running a first marathon. I'd go with practicing to develop habits and race day behaviors because I think that will have a bigger positive impact on your performance than fine-tuning physical training for optimal use of nutrient sources.

But that's just my opinion, and I have no scientific studies to support it.

I am going to go on a rare case where I actually disagree with @MobyCarp

I think it's even more important for an amateur marathoner to train fasted. Your body is in worse shape to use fat for fuel than an elite. You absolutely need to teach your body to use fat for fuel if it takes you 4 or 5 hours to run a marathon. An elite can run a marathon just a little over 2 hours and knows exactly what his/her fastest pace at an aerobic level is. Newbies don't. So they will more likely to prematurely exhaust their glycogen supplies. In fact, in my opinion, gels (and other forms of mid race fuel) help an amateur less than an elite.

You cannot in any way possible run a decent or even half decent 4-5 hour run on carbs alone, whether glycogen stored or mid race fueling. There is absolutely no way 5 or 6 or even 8 100 calorie gels packs can in any way make a significant impact when you're burning over 4000, 5000, even 6000 calories in a marathon. You have to teach your body to burn fat for fuel for a long period of time.

As an added bonus, when you go do a long training run where you exhaust your glycogen supplies (or make a serious impact) not only does it teach your body to rely more on fat, but it teaches your body that it needs to store even more glycogen.

In a real marathon race, you will be passing aid stations that will remind you to, "Oh I need to take this gel I am carrying". It's not like a training run where you don't pass any of that and you actually get caught up in the run itself.

I agree that you need to practice your strategy in some of your training runs, you do need to weed out the types of fuel that bothers your digestive system, you need to learn to rip open a gel pack while running and practice holding a little cup of water and drink it while running. Your body needs to learn to adjust to digest a gel pack while running. That I do agree. But again, what we are talking about is a single 100 calorie gel pack every 45 minutes when you probably can burn that in less than 10 minutes of marathon running.

Well, wait - the glucose is about fueling your brain, not your legs, right? I feel like we just covered this. I feel more confused than ever now. I was hoping to do better with the fuel this year. Last year, I planned to eat a gummy bear every half mile, and 2 mouthfulls of water from the hydration pack. I did ok with the water, but pretty much ignored the stupid gummy bears, and everything kind of crashed at mile 18. Supposing I had even kept up with the bears, I would have added only about 450 calories during the 5 hours. My longest training run had been 18 miles, and the gummy bears seemed to work. I choke on their little arms and legs, though - and they can start to get difficult to chew while running. So this year, I was going to try swapping out solids for liquids. Gatorade, it is. I had 2 bottles on my run today - ran out at about mile 15 of 18. But I also had some bathroom issues and then I came back and tried to finish too quickly and gave up, and then after a few minutes decided I was going to get the full 18 in - I'm not interested in running 4 miles tomorrow for this mileage goal nonsense. I want a completely sedentary rest day where I play Skyrim with breaks only for food and bathroom! I feel like I failed. But if it's a nutrition issue, I blame last night's entire Little Caesar's Hot N' Ready Pizza, or the 2 corndogs I decided to eat for breakfast. Probably not the Gatorade. But it bears further testing. And now there are only 7 more long runs to experiment with. Possibly, next time, I shall water the gatorade in the hydration vest and see how that works. The calculators say I shouldn't need fuel during a marathon, anyway, at the pace I'm going to try to run it.
    http://endurancecalculator.com/EnduranceCalculatorForm.html So any sugar I can dump in there to help keep my brain working is useful, right? Or detrimental, because my stupid legs will gobble it up? But then I should be able to go faster, right? Or not - because training.

Either way - here's this week's miles.

exercise.png

4/02 - 5 miles
    4/03 - 10 miles
    4/04 - 6 miles
    4/05 - 10 miles
    4/06 - 6 miles
    4/07 - 18 miles 3 separate Zombies, Run! workouts. Overall time: 3:32 Time running: 3:18 (I honestly thought that would be MUCH worse...)

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    4/1 6.55 run
    4/2 5.35 walk
    4/3 5.35 run
    4/5 7.25 run + 1.5 walk
    4/6 6.2 run + 1.3 walk
    4/7 4.3 run + 1.5 walk
    Total so far: 29.65r + 9.65w = 39.3 miles

Not a lot of time today between outpatient and having to pick up my son, so only 4.3 miles. The sun is finally out. I have a weird pain in my side which I can't tell if it's a muscle cramp or not. Trying not to let it get my anxiety up.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Too bad you had to drop out of the half, but the more I run the more I believe in staying (or getting) healthy to run again.

No, the bling isn't wood. It's a standard medal, but I'm more proud of it than the prettier finisher's medal because had to do more than just finish to get it. The wood you see is the table it was sitting on when I took the pictures.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 - My brain asploded. :smile: