April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I had to push myself a bit today, but I got the run completed. The run data looks good so it was all in my mind, I guess. :smile:

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles
    4/4 - 4 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/7 - rest
    4/8 - 10 miles
    4/9 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 4 miles

48 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Anyone who frequents @Stoshew71 monthly running challenge threads and who wants to join the MFP Monthly Running Challenge Strava group can join here:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng

Send a request and one of the admins will approve it. It's helpful, though not required, if you use the same profile picture as you do here, or use part of your MFP username in your Strava name so folks know who you are, and we can easily verify that you are indeed part of this group. The intent is that ONLY folks from this thread join.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for that input. I've thought about skipping the water stops, with 8,999 other runners on the full, it's by far the biggest race I'll have been in. It will mean that my first water stop is at mile 7, but I've run farther than that, in the heat, w/o water, so it's doable. That's one thing I guess I'll have to wait for race day to decide for sure...... at least I've pretty much settled on the shoes I'm going to wear, and which gels to bring....2 decisions made, a bunch more to go!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was thinking set a bottle of Powerade (that's what the race has) on my lawn, so I could grab it and take a swig as I go by. This would also let me practice fueling, I figure, and possibly give me a "safe" way to see if I need to bring extra water for the race.

Actually, what I would do is to take that bottle of PowerAde and pour it into little Dixie cups. Then practice grabbing a Dixie cup as you run and drink from that. There's actually a technique of folding the cup by pinching one side and drink out of the pinched side. You may be able to Youtube a video on that technique.

EDIT: Looks like @MobyCarp beat me to it. LOL
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - If you're going to go that far to simulate in-race hydration, you may as well buy some wax paper cups and also practice drinking from them on the run. I have not done this, but I can see where it would be useful if it's practical to set up such an arrangement.

I learned to actually transfer water from those wax paper cups to my throat at the 2015 Buffalo Marathon. I found that it's a lot easier at marathon pace than at 10K race pace or even half marathon pace.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I was thinking set a bottle of Powerade (that's what the race has) on my lawn, so I could grab it and take a swig as I go by. This would also let me practice fueling, I figure, and possibly give me a "safe" way to see if I need to bring extra water for the race.

Actually, what I would do is to take that bottle of PowerAde and pour it into little Dixie cups. Then practice grabbing a Dixie cup as you run and drink from that. There's actually a technique of folding the cup by pinching one side and drink out of the pinched side. You may be able to Youtube a video on that technique.

EDIT: Looks like @MobyCarp beat me to it. LOL

That's because great minds think alike...LOL. In actuality, what I might do is take my little 10oz handheld with me, and just drink every other mile, so I can get used to drinking then, and also practice fueling, since I'll be fueling every 4 miles or so, after taking my first gel before one of the first 3 water stops at the marathon.

I'll see how that goes, and start making decisions about what to bring with on marathon day....I really hate carrying stuff when I run. My handheld is just tolerable, and my belt, while great for hiking and trail running, annoys the heck out of me when I'm on the road.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for that input. I've thought about skipping the water stops, with 8,999 other runners on the full, it's by far the biggest race I'll have been in. It will mean that my first water stop is at mile 7, but I've run farther than that, in the heat, w/o water, so it's doable. That's one thing I guess I'll have to wait for race day to decide for sure...... at least I've pretty much settled on the shoes I'm going to wear, and which gels to bring....2 decisions made, a bunch more to go!

This. The most common arguments for and against carrying hydration in a race are:

Con: The extra weight will slow me down.
    Pro: I'll lose less time drinking from a bottle I carry than I would at water stops.

It's no secret that I fall solidly on the pro side of that argument. This has to do with my basic incompetence at grabbing wax paper cups on the run and transferring the water into my throat. I'm better than I was, but I still rate below average as runners go. I would also note that at the Oak Tree Half last September, I gained 6 steps per water stop on a guy who was mostly running ahead of me but not carrying his own hydration. I didn't lose any noticeable distance on him when drinking from my own water bottle. I think I ended up passing him between mile 8 and mile 9.

Of course, I can't carry enough water for a full marathon; so I must do as well as I can with on-course water. I good weather, a 10 oz bottle of water plus an 8 oz bottle of Nuun is enough to get me through a half. I thought 4 bottles on my warm weather belt should have got me through a marathon, but I failed to get through Rochester when I first tested that theory. Whether I test it again at Boston depends on the temperature on race day; but I won't be averse to grabbing whatever is offered on that course.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @garygse with how you're going, I almost think you set your goal too low. Great running!

Thank you! Yeah, I cut back the mileage goal this time as I have a race this coming weekend; ergo I'm dialing the mileage back this week, and my legs may feel completely shot next week, lol.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – 18.19 paced run
    4/2 – 3.90 easy 30 minutes
    4/3 – rest day
    4/4 – 10.75 tempo intervals
    4/5 – 6.85 group run
    4/6 – 8.18 tempo intervals
    4/7 – rest day
    4/8 – 12.07 paced run
    4/9 – 7.83 almost easy 60 minutes
    4/10 – 4.51 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides

April total to date – 72.28

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Run Boston. Finish healthy. Recover well.

Today's notes – Today's assignment was 30 minutes easy plus 4 strides. I had been taking Mondays as rest days, but in the final week of training every day has a specific assignment, and I'll be under the target miles just running the assignments. That's okay. At this point, less is more; but a lousy 35 minutes running isn't going to beat me up.

Temperature was 62º F (17º C) when I got out. I just threw on a singlet and shorts, didn't even wear the hydration belt. How dehydrated can I get in half an hour, anyway? In contrast to yesterday, I did a pretty good job of holding the easy portion at an easy pace. Ended up shorting the 30 minutes by 6 seconds or so, because that's when I got to the fire hydrant that I used to mark the start of my first stride.

It felt good to run the strides. I've skipped a lot of Monday "easy plus 4 strides" assignments in favor of rest days this training cycle. Part of that was because the time I have on Monday is mid-morning, and that wasn't enough recovery time after a hard weekend. But I'm in taper, and the weekend wasn't hard. So today felt very good.

Taper mantra of the day: A week from today, I'll be allowed to run a lot farther.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Awesome pictures @girlinahat
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I just looked at the MRC leader board on Strava. @Stoshew71 tapering is good for my ego. I ran the same distance as him last week.

there's a Strava group???? request to join just sent.......

I got ya
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    4/2-3.3 miles
    4/3-3 miles
    4/5-3.5 miles
    4/6-2.5 miles
    4/8-4.2 miles
    4/9-5 miles
    total-21.5 miles

Tried doing 5 miles on Saturday, but I had my nephew and my brother showed up to get him, so i hopped off the treadmill at 4.2 miles. I planned on taking Sunday off, but i couldnt stand that I didnt finish my 5 miles, so I decided to do it Sunday, so I am taking today off. but i did do the 5 miles faster than I thought I would :)

exercise.png

Training for:
    5/14-womens run-5mile
    7/10- Missoula Marathon-HM
    9/17- Montana Marathon-Full marathon
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Short and easy run this morning. Woke with a little pain in my lower back and a slight twinge in my left knee. Both were gone within the first half mile, but the knee's been creaking a bit after the run too. Have a rest day planned for tomorrow, so hoping to be all set to begin training for the next race by mid-week. My goal is to run a smoother, more evenly paced, one-break 5k on the 22nd.

4/1: 1.3 (1.3)
    4/2: 1.5 (2.8)
    4/3: rest
    4/4: 1.5 (4.3)
    4/5: 3.4 (7.7)
    4/6: 1.3 (9.0)
    4/7: rest
    4/8: rest / life day
    4/9: Race Day - 3.3 (12.3)
    4/10: 1.5 (13.8)
    4/11: rest
    4/22: Race Day (5k)

Goal for the month: 30

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Anyone who frequents @Stoshew71 monthly running challenge threads and who wants to join the MFP Monthly Running Challenge Strava group can join here:

Send a request and one of the admins will approve it. It's helpful, though not required, if you use the same profile picture as you do here, or use part of your MFP username in your Strava name so folks know who you are, and we can easily verify that you are indeed part of this group. The intent is that ONLY folks from this thread join.

I have been using Map my Run to track my workouts. Is Strava better? Can you export your history from MMR into Strava?
  • Elise4270
    Options

Thanks for putting that out there. I always feel like a ball buster for trying to figure out who people are and if they belong!!

@girlinahat was fairly easy to to figure out :wink:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Thanks for putting that out there. I always feel like a ball buster for trying to figure out who people are and if they belong!!

I've been a bad admin. :blush: I let someone in who I did not recognize thinking it was @girlinahat, but then Elise let her in and said she was easy to recognize. Now there's some other guy wanting in who I don't recognize. I haven't let him in yet though.

At least now I know better.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I hadn't looked at the Strava MRC leaderboard in a while. I was number 6 last week! Booya! :D Won't be this week though, it's a cutback week. Looking forward to refreshing my legs a bit!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I've been a bad admin. :blush: I let someone in who I did not recognize thinking it was @girlinahat, but then Elise let her in and said she was easy to recognize. Now there's some other guy wanting in who I don't recognize. I haven't let him in yet though.

At least now I know better.

I din't let him in... :blush: But I wouldn't worry about be in a bad admin, troublemakers can be booted. I'll usually just pop in here and ask who made the request. Girl was easy cuz shes a b in the/a hat :wink:

I do like @7lenny7 suggestion to use the same pic for the request.