How did you decide your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and initially picked 177 as my goal because that's near the top of my healthy BMI range and it would put me at 60 lbs lost. I really didn't think I'd want to (or be able to) go any lower than that but once I got down into the low 200's I realized there was no reason why I couldn't set my goal lower. Now I'm aiming for around 157, in the middle of the healthy BMI range. It's still possible that I'll change my mind again as I continue to lose but it's nice to have a number to aim for.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I decided by the normal BMI for my age, gender and height. That's my first goal weight and then about half way into that normal BMI range would be the second goal.
  • nicolammorris221
    nicolammorris221 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been in the Army for almost 17 yrs and I gained a few pound over the yrs. I'm 5'6 and my allowed weight is 154 lbs. I'm currently at 158. I can pass the tap test without any issues but I just want to lose 20 lbs. I can't fit my favorite pants anymore and that was my wake up call. I have to get back in those pants. That's how I set my goal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    W.A.G. Now I'm reconsidering and may end up going lower. Mostly because the cut-off for powerlifting competition weight classes is 7 pounds lower than my goal weight, and if I can drop a class I may do better.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I got down to within 5lbs of my initial goal weight of 130lbs back in 2012 and was a size 8. I was thrilled and looked good at that weight, so that is my new goal. I'm 5', so it's still on the high side for me, but no way will I ever hit 100lbs again and I'm totally fine with that!
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to get to 150. I lost weight 7 years ago and got to 158 before I started gaining weight back and I liked that weight range. I knew that I could go about 10 more pounds lighter than that and like how I looked.
    5'10"
    SW 220
    CW 207
    GW 150
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 with a goal weight of 130 and take it from there. I chose the upper end because I want to see where I'm at at that point and move more towards the mid-range of 115-120 for my height. While I've been overweight my entire life and have never seen my body at that weight, I do have a sister who has and it gives a better idea of what it will look like on me (similar heights and body shapes too).
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Initially, I set my goal as the maximum healthy weight for my height, which meant losing 24lbs. Once I got there, I decided to aim for a few more pounds off so I am in the middle of the range. Initially based on health but now I think I will feel better with a few more pounds off as I'll them be able to get into the smallest jeans I've ever owned which will be amazing.

That means me, at 5"2 going from 160lbs down to initially 135lbs but now aiming for 125 - 120. We'll see what happens in the next few months. It'll probably change again knowing me.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I chose my goal weight based on what I looked and felt like some years ago pre-babies minus 10-15 lbs that I was in the process of losing before I had a surprise pregnancy. My plan is to continue to drop weight and lift as I do it. It will be a lengthy process, I realized just the other day, but I'm in no rush.

I'm SO SORRY you disapprove of muscles because.....STRONG IS THE NEW PRETTY
    ;)
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I threw a dart at it.

No, but really I picked something near-ish to my "ideal weight" (which is very low as a 5'2" woman) and decided to aim for that. I picked 140 -- still "overweight" but it would be the lowest I've been since I was a teenager. Then, we'll go from there.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is near the bottom of my 'overweight' BMI range, which is still well above what I weight in HS and College. I'll reasses once I get to this new land and set another goal weight that reflects an updated set of activities after decades of a lazy lifestyle.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 11" and currently 312lbs the smallest I have been as an adult is 235lbs and was a size 14/16. My doctors said that they want me between 165lbs and 175lbs but I feel that is a stretch for my height and build(big hips). So I have set a temporary goal of reaching 200lbs and then going from there based on how i look/feel.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My doctor chose my goal weight of 126 as its the middle of the normal bmi range for my height
    I started at 387lb and would like to be around a size 14 (uk)

Before i had my son a year ago i got down to 198 and liked how that looked. I doubt ill make it to the doctors ideal, loose skins gonna be a major thing for me.

Im currently aiming for around 150 - 160lb
  • EdinBeau
    EdinBeau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4". My lowest weight was 120lbs from age 21-28. After that I got up to 170 due to change in lifestyle. I'm now sitting at 149, and want to get down to 130. I'm not as young as I used to be, so 120 just isn't a realistic goal for this point in my life and I was too thin. I see that now when I look back at pictures. I think 130 for me will be a nice comfortable # that I'll be happy with the way I look.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My doctor chose my goal weight of 126 as its the middle of the normal bmi range for my height
    I started at 387lb and would like to be around a size 14 (uk)

Before i had my son a year ago i got down to 198 and liked how that looked. I doubt ill make it to the doctors ideal, loose skins gonna be a major thing for me.

Im currently aiming for around 150 - 160lb

What is your height?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My first goal is 150# because that was my prepregnancy weight.

I feel quite a bit bigger at my 163 than previously (except for pregnancies, I've been between 154-165 most of my life from 16 onwards).

My next goal is 140# which is what I told the DMV I weighed when I originally got my driver's license. Lol. I didn't actually weigh that though.

After that I plan to reassess. Since I've never weighed that as an adult I don't know what to expect and will make 10 pound goals as I get to them.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am 5'7 and have been 100lbs all the way to 188lbs. I like neither end of the spectrum but feel comfortable, right about the middle so that is what I'm going for. Below that I feel too thin, right around 135-145 is where I feel healthy and I feel like I look healthy too. It is the last weight I remember having lots of energy and being able to go out with my husband, then boyfriend, and do all sorts of stuff. Now we go out and walk around a few hours and I feel like I need to go straight to bed as soon as I get home.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bmi of pro athletes

You might want to be a tad more specific. This guy was a pro athlete at 6' tall and 633 lbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konishiki_Yasokichi