Cheat days

Options

Replies

• georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Before I started my diet I was sometimes eating around 10,000 calories a day, that's why I thought I was losing weight so fast?

Weighed and logged 10,000 calories?

Yes I used to eat ridiculous amounts of food after I stopped smoking

Well that's why you gained weight then isn't it. Not because of some slow metabolism, because of over eating.

You've received all the information you require to lose weight in a sustainable and healthy manner.

What's more to be said?

Obviously I gained weight eating that amount, I'm not stupid.. my question was do people have cheat meals whilst on a diet, not what people's opinions are of my calorie intake..

• georgiamaxine1
    Options
    It really depends on your appetite and how you plan cheat days. I have an incredible appetite, so I can destroy weeks of deficit in a single cheat day. When I first started, I would do cheat days when I reached certain milestones rather than time. For example, lose 10 lbs. and do a cheat day. Then get to the next 10 lb. loss (after losing the 5-8 lbs. gained during that cheat day again) before allowing another cheat day. That way, it doesn't totally ruin the deficit. Since I lost slowly anyway, that was only a planned cheat day around 4 times per year at first. Now it is down to twice per year and will soon be once per year. If you find that your planned cheat days are small enough to only wipe out a few days or a week of deficit, then you can stand to have them more often. Those things are all going to be specific to you as an individual.

Thanks, this was very helpful! If I do have a cheat meal I don't go all out, just a few slices of pizza and a bit of chocolate
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    Before I started my diet I was sometimes eating around 10,000 calories a day, that's why I thought I was losing weight so fast?

Well that's why you gained weight then isn't it. Not because of some slow metabolism, because of over eating.

You've received all the information you require to lose weight in a sustainable and healthy manner.

What's more to be said?

Obviously I gained weight eating that amount, I'm not stupid.. my question was do people have cheat meals whilst on a diet, not what people's opinions are of my calorie intake..

Eat a decent amount of calories and you won't need a cheat day.

If you read my posts above I said I was going to eat more calories :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It really depends on your appetite and how you plan cheat days. I have an incredible appetite, so I can destroy weeks of deficit in a single cheat day. When I first started, I would do cheat days when I reached certain milestones rather than time. For example, lose 10 lbs. and do a cheat day. Then get to the next 10 lb. loss (after losing the 5-8 lbs. gained during that cheat day again) before allowing another cheat day. That way, it doesn't totally ruin the deficit. Since I lost slowly anyway, that was only a planned cheat day around 4 times per year at first. Now it is down to twice per year and will soon be once per year. If you find that your planned cheat days are small enough to only wipe out a few days or a week of deficit, then you can stand to have them more often. Those things are all going to be specific to you as an individual.

Thanks, this was very helpful! If I do have a cheat meal I don't go all out, just a few slices of pizza and a bit of chocolate

A few slices of pizza and some chocolate can be a regular day for me :unamused:

I agree with several others here - moderation is key. I doubt your metabolism is rubbish. It's more likely (and no offense intended, I mean this seriously!) your logging is rubbish and you are really eating more than you think when dieting. It's happened to the best of us at one point or another.

Eh, I missed the part about 29 pounds in 1 month, so forget what I said about bad logging. Caught skimming :blush:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

What's more to be said?

I never had "cheat" days. It's too easy for me to not lose weight if I have them. For me a "cheat" day is around 5,000 calories. If I'm gonna eat, I'm gonna eat.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i work at an italian restaurant, pizza and chocolate gelato is an often thing. Dont consider it cheating, I fit it in i walk to work to burn the calories for it (8 miles round trip) and its delicious and so worth it. Cheating on a diet only cheats yoursef. Make it fit
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

What's more to be said?

I never had "cheat" days. It's too easy for me to not lose weight if I have them. For me a "cheat" day is around 5,000 calories. If I'm gonna eat, I'm gonna eat.

Fair enough! :)
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i work at an italian restaurant, pizza and chocolate gelato is an often thing. Dont consider it cheating, I fit it in i walk to work to burn the calories for it (8 miles round trip) and its delicious and so worth it. Cheating on a diet only cheats yoursef. Make it fit

Thanks I'll think more like that :)
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey everyone the goal is to encourage not to bash :D If you have good advice, try to say it in a nice way, not in an insulting way.

When people say your calories are quite low they are looking out for you so don't take it the wrong way! If you lose too much weight too quickly, not only is it bad for your health but it will be hard to maintain your weight later on. You need to find a diet that is sustainable in the long run and be patient!
  • nicolammorris221
    nicolammorris221 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you work out? if so, then you'll need to eat more. At a 1000 cals you have to be careful. If it's working for you, then keep it up. Just be safe about it and take care.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »
    Hey everyone the goal is to encourage not to bash :D If you have good advice, try to say it in a nice way, not in an insulting way.

When people say your calories are quite low they are looking out for you so don't take it the wrong way! If you lose too much weight too quickly, not only is it bad for your health but it will be hard to maintain your weight later on. You need to find a diet that is sustainable in the long run and be patient!

OP has gotten some solid advice here, I don't see anyone bashing her.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take a step back and reevaluate. 29lbs in a month is a lot of weight to lose for your current weight. 1,000 calories is too low. Someone posted the other day about having concerns with their hair falling out because of a very low calorie diet. Malnutrition is a real thing.

The great thing is, you can lose weight by eating all of the things you love by just eating less of it! It's not cheating, it's just living life. A long life with beautiful hair and healthy organs.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »

OP has gotten some solid advice here, I don't see anyone bashing her.

Reading back you are right! Dunno why I felt that way while I was reading through the post the first time, it felt like everyone was piling up on OP. I agree that it is solid advice.
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I personally don't believe in cheat days or cheat meals. I have BED (binge eating disorder).

I have completely taken the positive and negative connotations out of food. I think of food as fuel. Period.

Some of the girls I work with think there are "bad" foods; ie: pizza, nachos, french fries, pasta, bread and "good" foods; ie: fruit, raw vegetables, "low fat" popcorn.

I eat within my calorie goal every day and I'm still losing. Some days, I go over calorie goal but most days I'm under. If I really want something, I make room in my diary. I'm eating 1800 calories/day and losing steadily.

This works for me. Good luck!
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    There is most definitely benefit to having a "cheat day" but I prefer to call it a "refeed". I still log everything and it still has to fit my refeed macros but a "refeed" day for me is once a week and is 550c, 150f, 300p. I don't buy into "starvation mode" but you can trick your body into burning fat stores by telling it food is abundantly available. I'm not going to profess to know all the science behind it but they are beneficial, both physically and mentally.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    No idea what weight a "stone" is, but I don't do cheat days. I think you can do a "cheat meal" now and then, but if you just blow off the whole day you can easily reverse progress for a whole week.
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    Do you work out? if so, then you'll need to eat more. At a 1000 cals you have to be careful. If it's working for you, then keep it up. Just be safe about it and take care.
    I have a job at the stables and do about 8 hours of hard exercise whilst mucking out stables, other than that I do around 10,000-20,000 steps per day