How to battle sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    when I am craving that sweet element instead of gummy bears/cookies etc. I make a trail mix with both cranberries and lots of seeds and nuts and have a portion of that. Still sweet, still has sugar, just the quantity reduced. I also started really playing with spices to mix in with something sweet. So for salad, I started adding slivered grapes and slivers of jalapeno, that combination hits all the right taste buds and I don't really need something afterwards that
    is sweet to cleanse my palate. Or even lemonade, I like it sweet meaning 3+ teaspoons of sugar to make it palatable, but if I just add cumin powder to it I can stick with a lot less sugar and still have a satisfying and refreshing drink once in a while (becomes jaljeera). Also finally just cooking/baking in general with a lot less sugar and salt. And really experimenting with different cuisines and playing around with combinations to make it fit what you are looking for
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    yeast are some of the microbes which we need in our digestive tracts, when these are out of balance the yeasts can prompt us to feed them sugar, research is showing this.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OP, regardless of what you call it, some people have cravings for sweets and other refined carbs, and it can be a big obstacle to weight loss. You might look into low-glycemic eating plans as a way of reducing those. A couple of the more popular ones are the DASH and South Beach diets.

Best of luck to you. :)
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Watch "The Sugar Film" on Amazon. It's a documentary in the same vein as "super size me". It may help with what your looking for.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Also, here's an article with research on sugar from what some believe to be an expert doctor. https://www.rt.com/news/319954-sugar-dangerous-children-study/
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Don't bring it into the house. If it isn't there, you can't eat it. And after a few weeks, you won't even miss it.

It's the only way that worked for me. Moderation proved to be too difficult for me to maintain. Having a little sugar just set off a massive craving for more sugar. That certainly was not helpful.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    I have noticed that when I cut way back on sugar (candy, cakes, Ice Cream) after a week or so I dont really miss them. When I go through periods where I eat a lot of those things- I find I want more. So if that is not an addiction then I dont know what is. But what do I know?? You are going to get the "sugar is not bad" 100s of times in this thread. Some people can eat it in moderation others cannot. My advice to break your your non-existant "Addiction" is to not have it around the house. There really is no other way. If you know you over-eat something and cannot moderate - then you only choice it to not go near it. This is true of booze or cigarettes or gambling or drugs -- things that become addictions. So while people can argue positives and evils of sugar (and they will) - I would tell you to avoid. Its not like you are going to hurt yourself in any way by giving up foods with large amounts of sugar.

The bolded is nonsense. And further, comparing something that you absolutely have to have to exist (sugar) to alcohol, cigarettes and gambling is disingenuous at best.

You don't need to eat sugar to exist. Eliminating it will not hurt you at all.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Addictive behavior, is it hard wired into us, or something we choose?
    People choose to smoke, drink, use illegal drugs, gambling, or whatever the addiction may be, it certainly is not a necessity of life, none the less, truly addictive to some, while others can try something once, or never, and not feel any need to ever try it again.
    You can not live without eating. It seems to me that, at least technically, we are all addicted to food. If you do not eat, you can put your health seriously at risk and will die if you don't eat at all. It could be psychological addiction to certain types of foods, ie sweet, salty, but does that make it less real? So much is really unknown, even by so called experts. We know ourselves best. What will trigger our reactions and how we can, or can not, handle it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We really need more information to offer the best advice for dealing with the specifics.

And I get why OP may think that this thread is impossible to wade through, but come back, OP, and give more details about your specific issues with sugary foods. Probably many of us have dealt with similar things.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    Also, here's an article with research on sugar from what some believe to be an expert doctor. https://www.rt.com/news/319954-sugar-dangerous-children-study/

and then there was Lustig who has been discredited numerous times by his peers...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    People choose to smoke, drink, use illegal drugs, gambling, or whatever the addiction may be, it certainly is not a necessity of life, none the less, truly addictive to some, while others can try something once, or never, and not feel any need to ever try it again.
    You can not live without eating. It seems to me that, at least technically, we are all addicted to food. If you do not eat, you can put your health seriously at risk and will die if you don't eat at all. It could be psychological addiction to certain types of foods, ie sweet, salty, but does that make it less real? So much is really unknown, even by so called experts. We know ourselves best. What will trigger our reactions and how we can, or can not, handle it.

if you don't breath you will die too, are we also addicted to breathing..

doing something to sustain bodily function and life does not equal addiction ...
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you don't breath you will die too, are we also addicted to breathing..

doing something to sustain bodily function and life does not equal addiction ...

It isn't exactly a bodily function, nor is it involuntary, as breathing is. I also happen to believe that it is not an addiction (craving and overindulging in sugary foods). I have lived long enough to know that I can speak for no one else besides myself. There is no possible way to know for a fact that people that believe that they are addicted to sugar, or anything for that matter, aren't. There are experts who disagree on both sides of the issue. All I am saying is that I believe there are people who are convinced that they are addicted to sugar. What makes you so sure that they are not? Where is your expertise on this? How can you possibly know for a fact?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    Lustig. Lol, yeah he's kinda of an extremist. When labeling sugar as a "toxic" or "poisonous" to the system, and then having people believe it means he's a good salesman. His book sales are off the charts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png